Cold Weather Fishing

J

jpb5002

The other day, I went out to do some trout fishing in this cooler weather. I bought a pair of neoprene gloves that have slits and velcro on the thumb and first finger so you can stick your fingers out. I thought they would be nice for tying and what not. But I was wrong. I took them off while trying to tie on my first fly. It was still a pain to tie. I never realized how many fingers I actually use.
I also started thinking about getting them wet. I suppose neoprene would be the best material if you plan on getting wet, but I think they would get clammy. I guess you could avoid getting wet by taking one off before landing a fish, but that could get tricky.

I was wondering if anyone out there has some better suggestions.

yeah - if it's cold enought to numb your fingers, don't fish!

Seriously though, I've tried several different kinds of gloves, and they're all a pain to tie on flies with in my opinion.
If I'm out in cold weather now, I don't even bother with gloves.
I just stop and warm my fingers up when needed - by blowing on them, or putting them in the handwarmer pocket on my waders.
I've thought about handwarmers - like you use for hunting - but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
But I really do try not to fish when it's that cold.

Wool fingerless gloves. Wool stays warm, even when wet.

jayL wrote:
Wool fingerless gloves. Wool stays warm, even when wet.

Nuff said....next question?

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1Clothing_typeViewer.cfm?subcat=Accessories&type=Gloves&subtype=Simms%20Sungloves

Try this website. I have the have finger mitten gloves witch stay very warm and then when i tie on a fly i fold them over. When i get them wet I take off the gloves and ring them out if they get really wet. For the most part the gloves will stay warm even when cold and are very comfortable. Tell me if you like them.

Hi all

Here is another alternative. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,55734_Glacier-Gloves-Windproof-Glomitt-Fleece-Gloves-for-Men-and-Women.html

I picked a pair of these up, they are quite nice and you cannot beat the price!

I like the wool military glove liners.
I picked up a few pairs last week at the army surplus for $3.99 pair(they have gone up a $1 since last year). I usually take a few pair out when fishing. A simple wring out will keep your hands warm.
Crb
:hammer:

I dont like to wear gloves at all when I fish. What I do is place one of the disposible hand warmers in each pocket of my wading jacket or in the pocket in front of my waders. This way I can alternate each hand in a pocket ..keeps them warm enough..

Bill

I use a pair of fleece fingerless gloves which have hoods you can pull over the fingers and thumb, then take off and velcro to the back when you need to use your fingers. Although I have to say anytime I'm casting/tying, I always have the fingertips exposed, the only time I pull the covers over is when I'm out of the water walking around. They were about $5 at EMS.

Back