Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Choosing a quality mid level reel

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Spend your money as you like everyone. If having a more expensive, more advanced drag system on a reel gives you more confidence while fishing, then by all means spend the extra money…that said I have a hard time believing a 20" Trout (even one from the mighty D) will render the drag system on a less expensive reel completely useless. Granted I’ve never fished the D, nonetheless hooked into one of its monsters, but I can’t imagine a 20 inch Trout giving you a much harder time than an 18” Smallmouth. My most expensive reel cost $60, and I’ve landed many large Smallmouth in large streams/rivers on my reels…and I was playing these fish on the reel with the drag engaged. These fish could take line if they wanted, but weren’t exactly setting the reel on fire. They’d run for a little, you’d bring em’ back, and the process would repeat until you got them under control. Yeah if you let them get too far downstream of you that’s a problem, but that’s the fun and challenge in fighting/controlling a bigger fish. Yes, I’ve lost fish, and broke fish off that I wish I didn’t, but it never has been the reel’s fault.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 15:24

From York, PA
Quote:

pcray wrote:
That sounds ridiculous to me. Fishing isn't a fashion statement in my mind.
I pair my $1000 rod with a $30 reel.

it's a fashion statement to me, pcray! but i only have a "orvis helios @ $775" and i pair it with a orvis large arbor reel @ $175.

to me, it's a "balance" and "eye candy" thing.
i just like fly fishing a lot more with a top shelf outfit. i think i catch more fish with good tackle also?

same thing with a evening beverage: with spin tackle, or cheapo fly stuff, i like a cold bud light...... but with my top shelf fly tackle, only fine chilled red wine will do!

Posted on: 2012/7/5 18:05

From Monessen, PA
I am fashion-wise and budget-conscious, yet it gets me not even a beer at the end of the day. You all are doin' it right.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 19:30

-- Leo Tolstoy

From York & Starlight, PA
" In my opinion the top dollar reels really aren't worth the money"

That Sir is your opinion. There are likely thousands of guys who would argue with you about the relative value of "top dollar" reels.

Personally I've never owned a mid price point reel. I'm sure they can do the job quite well for the average trout. I often catch trout of 20" and more and I want that drag to start up flawlessly and to run off line smoothly with no hiccups or jerks.

My preferred trout reels are the Lamson Litespeed 1.5 where I use a #5 line and the Abel Creek 2 for my #4 dry fly work.

If simplicity was all there was to fly fishing I could probably do quite well, for most trout here in PA, with no reel at all. But from an asthetic point of view I just like well made fishing tackle. I love the finish on "top dollar" reels, I like the way they sound, I like the superb workmanship and I like how they look on my "top dollar" rods.

However for someone new to the sport there are probably a couple of dozen well made fly reels that will perform well and please the owner. You can get the Lamson Konic for $129 - it has the same drag as the Litespeed. You can't beat the Orvis Access series which start at $135 or the Orvis BBS II for $135.00.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 19:45

From York County
my votw is the Lamson Konic - hands down.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 9:08

From Ephrata, PA
The fact of the matter is, I simply can't afford top of the line stuff. Hell, I have a hard time affording "mid level" stuff. It takes me half a year to save up for a $300 LL Bean combo. The Allen rod I won at the jam is probably the most "ritzy" piece of equipment I own, and its a $179 rod. Otherwise I'm fishin' with my Cortland GRF 1000 that I bought when I was 17 years old from the corner store in Oleona PA w/ an Okuma SLV reel that I got for free.

Part of my attraction to glass is that I can buy a nice Fenwick relatively inexpensively, pair it with a Medalist for next to nothing, and people think my gear is awesome

Posted on: 2012/7/6 12:04

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Part of my attraction to glass is that I can buy a nice Fenwick relatively inexpensively, pair it with a Medalist for next to nothing, and people think my gear is awesome

They're pointing and whispering for a completely different reason...

Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:52

i've had severalcheapo reels bind up on me on average fish. eventually the plastic bushing on the spindle will warp and fail. i'm lucky enough to aford what i like, i mostly like mid level stuff, plus 1 high end rod. i still have all the low end stuff i started with but hardly ever fish it. when i do, i wonder how i got by on it.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:54

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

They're pointing and whispering for a completely different reason...

Oh please...do tell!

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:09

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
If a 8ft tall Sasquatch fly fishing while eating 3 day old clam dip doesn't cause someone to point and whisper, I don't know what will...

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:17

From Ephrata, PA
None of that is true!

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:22

From Dauphin PA
If you can't palm a fresh steelie on a clicker in the Salmon River (running 1250 cfs), your a bad fisherman. Blah, blah. To each their own. My personal position is to get the best you can afford. Any of the higher priced gear (waders, reels or rods) have been great 'investments'. Never a malfunction and hold value in the event I would ever sell or trade them. If you go cheap on your gear and it breaks, , don't come on here griping about the lack of quality in your purchase.

Swattie, "even on the mighty D" was a bit excessive. I'm assuming you have never hooked a 22" wild fish, in heavy water on 5x from a boat. The fish bolts up river while the boat continues down river. A good reel with a smooth / strong drag can be the difference between landing the fish or tying on a new rig. For 90% of fishing in this area, a $10 throw away reel will work fine. Never seen a 5" brookie or a 11" stockie spool anyone in a creek that's 15' wide.

Bottom line.... go cheap, don't complain if it breaks.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 15:29

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I'm assuming you have never hooked a 22" wild fish, in heavy water on 5x from a boat.

Correct. But if the situation is handled properly by the angler, including adjusting the drag as needed, I would suspect that any of my $60 or less reels could handle that situation. And I still think an 18" Smallie in big water (which I have hooked and caught) meets, or exceeds the reel testing capacity of a 20-22" wild Trout.

Suppose the fish gets you out of position like you describe and the 5x breaks off...is that automatically the reel's fault? I understand how a smooth drag is beneficial here, but any decent drag system (set properly) should be able to start giving line in those conditions.

Does a more expensive reel mean a more reliable reel? Maybe, but not necessarily...would depend on the individual reels and the drag setups I guess. Again, I've never lost a fish to a broken reel or drag mechanism...when/if I do I'll maybe rethink my position.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:12

From Ephrata, PA
Either have I, Swattie. Every fish I've ever lost, including the pigs, have been because of user error. I've caught some hefty smallies in big water in a boat, both of us headed the opposite direction. Landed some, lost some. The ones I lost, I lost 'cause I'm a moron.

Truth be told, though, if I could afford a really nice, upper end (not Cheeky!) reel, I'd buy one. Until then, I just gotta make what I can afford work!

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:19

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
If you can't palm a fresh steelie on a clicker in the Salmon River (running 1250 cfs), your a bad fisherman. Blah, blah. To each their own. My personal position is to get the best you can afford. Any of the higher priced gear (waders, reels or rods) have been great 'investments'. Never a malfunction and hold value in the event I would ever sell or trade them. If you go cheap on your gear and it breaks, , don't come on here griping about the lack of quality in your purchase.

Swattie, "even on the mighty D" was a bit excessive. I'm assuming you have never hooked a 22" wild fish, in heavy water on 5x from a boat. The fish bolts up river while the boat continues down river. A good reel with a smooth / strong drag can be the difference between landing the fish or tying on a new rig. For 90% of fishing in this area, a $10 throw away reel will work fine. Never seen a 5" brookie or a 11" stockie spool anyone in a creek that's 15' wide.

Bottom line.... go cheap, don't complain if it breaks.

+1 and Swattie you missed the biggest point, from a boat. If you are handling the oars and trying to keep yourself from spinning in circles or running into a boulder, then flipping the Pontoon or damaging the drift boat and losing gear, a clicker is just not worthwhile. The OP wanted opinions for Pa streams not named the Delaware, Lehigh, Yough though. My Galvan is probably my biggest fly fishing purchase and I will never regret it.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com