Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Chest Pack

From Enola, Pa.
Tim

I have to omit I hadn't seen my feet in a long time myself. Since my stomach problems I have lost over 70 Lbs in a little over a year...tough way to lose weight!

The one problem is, my waders look like hell on me now....way to big.

I got to ask you, with those huge feet you have, how can you not see them

PaulG

Posted on: 2009/11/7 9:31

From Chester County
Tim,

I bought an Orvis Hydration Chestpack (old model) and removed the water bladder. I carry everything but the kitchen sink in it and it's very comfortable.

One suggestion, if you stopped carrying the 12 pack of Yuengling in your pack, maybe you would have more room for fishing stuff. At least switch from bottles to cans, and leave the ice back at the truck!

Posted on: 2009/11/7 10:31

From Enola, PA
I found a chest pack i liked - the William Joseph Gear Bag, but i havent been able to match it up with a decent backpack yet. The original was too small, couldnt carry anything in it.

I made a few modifications and attached it to a Watermark backpack, now i can carry stuff but the backpack is not that great of a design and puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders and back.

Got a William Joseph fanny pack last year, very comfy, but again no storage to carry lunch or an extra shirt or wading jacket.

Just ordered a WJ Drifter pack, has many good features that should make it more comfy to carry all day. Will need to modify the chest pack i have to it onto the clips, but shouldnt be a hassle.

As for wading, i havent had many if any problems, just lean a little left or right to see where i am going.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 10:49

uhh...nevermind

From Chester County
Like I said, my CP from Orvis is no longer made. Look for the chestpack models with a hydration bladder and remove it. The backpack is the size of a good daypack and you can carry a raincoat or jacket, lunch, water bottle, or even 12 pack of bottles with ice, if your are so inclined.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 11:00

From Harrisburg
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Tim,

I bought an Orvis Hydration Chestpack (old model) and removed the water bladder. I carry everything but the kitchen sink in it and it's very comfortable.

One suggestion, if you stopped carrying the 12 pack of Yuengling in your pack, maybe you would have more room for fishing stuff. At least switch from bottles to cans, and leave the ice back at the truck!

Dear afish,

I never drink while on stream.

Perhaps that explains why I never get more than a "Walker" or two away from the truck?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/11/7 14:15
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Harrisburg
Dear Paul,

Wow, you lost 70 pounds in a year? I know you had a very difficult time healthwise but consider that loss a blessing in disguise and do me a favor and do your best to not refill your waders anytime soon.

Deal?

I've sort of made a half-azzed goal of getting under 300 pounds by my 50th birthday. I haven't started yet what with the Holiday's and all coming up, but I'm going to really try this year to stop being a fat old old turd and just be a regular old turd.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/11/7 14:26
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

I'm in the market for a chest pack myself, and it sounds like there are some good deals to be had at the moment, but I can't open the loon site. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted on: 2009/11/8 14:08

From Delaware Co.
They closed the link because the sale is over .

Posted on: 2009/11/8 23:07

Bummer. The fishpond packs are still on sale at Madison but I try to wear dark greens and browns on the water--not usually orange and blue.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 0:14

From Berryville Virginia
Go with the Richardson Chest Box and add the backpack. I have 2 Richardson's, a Flydeck and a Downstream chest box with 8 boxes (they also now have the backpack).

Joe E

Posted on: 2009/11/18 15:56

From Butler, PA
FishIdiot has one of those boxes (or something similar) I saw at the Steelhead Jam. It was pretty awesome.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 16:11

orvis makes a nice sling ,out front when u need it , on backside when u don't.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 19:31

From State College
JoeE,

Mind expanding your posts? Why the Richardson over the two others?

What do like/dislike about each?

I have all but decided to get a downstream. I like the ease of removing trays, and am thinking I can get numerous trays packed with catagorized flies. Then decide on 2-3 trays to carry on the stream. Basically, I am thinking the downstream will provide a system so I have storage of all my flies, while not needing to take all of them with me on stream each time fishing.

thanks

Posted on: 2009/11/18 22:24

From Berryville Virginia
I stopped buying stuff years ago that I never used and the chest boxes help control that. I realized that I only used specific stuff and flies even if nothing was working and why bring all of my flies on the stream in a vest. The new Richardson with removable plates I use for trout (3 box. but leave other plates in the truck in a holder),The older Richardson is used for smallmouth (3 box: poppers, streamers, nymphs/crayfish),The FlyDeck (16 window) is used for brook trout (I only fish dries for brookies),The Downstream is the catch all with the interchangeable boxes (small ponds, OBX, Shad, steelhead..Etc). All have their place and I like them all. I hope that answered your question.

Joe E

Posted on: 2009/11/19 14:35

I have a Downs box- 4 trays. I did'nt like it- could'nt see my feet. I am what some describe as husky or portly though.

Dont use vests either anymore. Discovered I like a lanyard and just use the pockets of my fishing shirt or jacket to hold 2 medium sized boxes. Weight,indicators, camera, tp,granola bars go in the wader pockets. Not looking back.

I got this stuff and sits around mostly- but I would rather just hold on to this stuff than sell it for $25 or $50 bucks.

Probably should get rid of an Orvis Trident TLS 8'6 5wt 4pcs. with Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor II.

So much of types of stuff comes down to personal preference and comfort -really what you find that works the best for you.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 15:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com