Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Chest Pack

From Burke VA
So I've always been a vest guy because I carry a lot of gear and tippet with me at all times. I've decided I want to get a chest pack for days when I don't want to take so much gear but still plenty of tippet. I tried the Orvis one and it didn't fit right. I'm tall and slim and the straps could not tighten enough for a good fit. I've looked online at simms and umpqua but figured I would see if someone can spit some knowledge at me. I noticed that none of them seem to be waterproof does this cause a problem? I do wade very aggressively so that is a concern.

Posted on: 12/26 21:54

Re: Chest Pack

From Burke VA
Oh and does anyone have a net rigged up with one?

Posted on: 12/26 22:00

Ryan, one thing I see is you said you wade "aggressively". Now I know the term is subjective, but when I wade aggressively I want to be able to see my feet if the stream bottom requires and the water allows. With a chest pack (box) I couldn't see my feet (no I don't have a gut that prevents it).

Posted on: 12/26 22:56

afishinado wrote:

I find you very confrontational, offensive and have never seen more a glass-half-empty attitude.

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Ryan, one thing I see is you said you wade "aggressively". Now I know the term is subjective, but when I wade aggressively I want to be able to see my feet if the stream bottom requires and the water allows. With a chest pack (box) I couldn't see my feet (no I don't have a gut that prevents it).

Interesting...never thought of that before and makes lots of sense! I always hated the look of the chest fly boxes.

Posted on: 12/27 8:42

From Hershey
I have tried about every box and vest combination I can think of. I most often use a Goertzen chest thing. I called him and had it sized for an Umpqua Weekender box that I can carry a few hundred flies.
I just load the box before each trip and have a few of each of the best patterns I expect and the standards I never leave home without. Its a double sided box. One side has BWOs, midges, ants and Beatles and other "always have" bugs. The other side has the "daily expected" bug I anticipate seeing.
As for the net I have a sturdy wading belt from Simms. I have a Smith Creek net carrier think on it. Even when wading deep on the West Branch it stays put until I might need it.
The Goertzen has a place I carry 7 spools of tippet, hemos, nippers and nail knot tools and Umpqua Dry magic and Frogs Fanny. I carry my split shit in my wader pocket with a few extra leaders, done.

Posted on: 12/27 9:41

From Chester County
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:

Interesting...never thought of that before and makes lots of sense! I always hated the look of the chest fly boxes.

I used a vest back-in-the-day and tried a chest pack (the not seeing your feet when walking and wading is a very valid point) and have settled on using a sling pack for the last 5 years or so.

I hang my tippet spools, nippers, forceps, floatant and a small fly box on the strap, keeping them up-front; leaving all the bulky stuff to remain behind me and out of the way like a raincoat, extra fly boxes, spare tippet spools and leaders, headlight, water bottle, lunch, etc. In addition, I often fish early and wear a light jacket or shirt, when it warms up I take it off and have a place to store it out of the way. And when I fish in the afternoon, I can stuff a shirt or light jacket in my pack and put it on when it cools down in the evening.

As far as wading, my sling pack, when properly adjusted rides higher than just about any vest. Plus the entire bottom of it is made of waterproof material so it can be dipped in the water when deep wading. You can't fish in chin deep water, so when crossing in really deep areas, I simply carry my slingpack over my shoulder and cross.

I have use a 100% waterproof sling pack that I use for saltwater fishing since the waves wet it all the time. After a day in the ocean, I just hose it off well with freshwater and hang it up to dry.

Posted on: 12/27 9:54

Edited by afishinado on 2017/12/27 11:44:11

From down the block from the Letort.
Unless you've got some unknown to me waterproof vest, why would you need a waterproof chest pack? Seems like the odds of soaking one vs the other would be the same regardless of wading style....and I also like to see what I'm stepping on/into, so I've stayed away from obstructing the view.

Posted on: 12/27 10:06

From Greensburg, PA
I have a Fishpond waist/chest pack that does what you describe. Mine is bigger than what it sounds like you are looking for but its completely replaced my vest so... They do make smaller ones that I think would serve your purpose better. Its proven to be well made and very durable. I would look at what this brand has to offer.

Posted on: 12/27 10:57

From North east ,Maryland
I have gone trough vest's, chest packs and sling packs. vest ,I still have but seldom use. I find them to restraining. Chest pack's ,I couldn't see my feet when wading, felt uncomfortable. Fanny pack's , I didn't like at all, only use one for the salt. I love a sling pack , holds what i need, water bottle , net when i take one, out of the way when wading and casting. You should check them out.

Posted on: 12/27 11:29

My son and I used this sling pack for the past 6 months and both of us love it. I carry several fly boxes, floatant, split shot, tippet, spare forceps, etc., and a water bottle that I attach with a carabiner clip to the sling. Adjust the sling for deeper wading. Bought them on sale for about $20. Everything I need fits.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELA ... PACK/2459264.uts?slotId=1

Posted on: 12/27 17:35

From SE Pa
I've settled on sling/lumbar pack and keep my forceps, flotation, tipped and nippers on a convertible lanyard that hangs from my waders straps so it doesn't interfere with spinning the pack around.

Posted on: 12/27 19:12

From Burke VA

I'm just thinking a chest pack seems to sit lower. Parts of my vest are always wet, other parts are always dry. My vest does have a waterproof pocket but I guess you're right it shouldn't be a big deal.

I never thought about the vision restriction with a chest pack but it makes sense. I've tried a sling but went back to my vest. Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted on: 12/27 20:23

From Greensburg, PA
If you really like your vest, a lot of the guys out west wore those shorty vests. Nice for the float tube and for "aggressive" waders.

Posted on: 12/27 22:05

From Burke VA
Not sure I've seen a shorty vest, I will take a look thanks.

Posted on: 12/27 22:09

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
Not sure I've seen a shorty vest, I will take a look thanks.

All simms vests or cut short for deep wading.

And I'm pretty sure Orvis still makes a shortie version of the Tac-L-Pak vest

Posted on: 12/27 23:12

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com