Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Chest Pack

From Burke VA
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
Not sure I've seen a shorty vest, I will take a look thanks.

All simms vests or cut short for deep wading.

And I'm pretty sure Orvis still makes a shortie version of the Tac-L-Pak vest

Gotcha, I have a Simms vest already, looking for something a little more compact. I looked over the fishpond site and they make quite a few different chestpacks. I've narrowed it down to that or the Umpqua. I like that the umpqua has a net ring built in to the shoulder strap.

Posted on: 12/28 0:08

i use a filson foul weather vest when I wade and I adjust it so it rides really high. If you prefer a vest over a chest pack and want similar storage to a chest pack, this might be an option. I don't carry a net when I wade but I think there is a D ring or something you can attach a net to on the back.

I really don't like wearing any type of vest or waders so when I can get away without wearing one or both, I often do.

Posted on: 12/28 1:13

Ryan, I recently parted ways from my umpqua 500 overlook chest pack of a few years. It served me well, wasn't waterproof except for a small pocket for a cell phone. I am average height medium build and it fit nice and high and was comfortable for being a chest pack. Had no issues with seeing my feet. It had plenty of space and can rig a tippet holder across the top of the pack. They do make a newer model not sure how it is, but if you can pick up an older model would be worth trying out. I did take a few dunks with it everything got wet except the little pocket, but don't take anything I don't plan on getting wet.

Posted on: 12/28 4:18

From Clarks Summit, PA
I, too, have been through the gambit as far a vest/hip packs/chest packs go. My problem is the bulky feeling when wearing heavy clothing and submerging my equipment when water is high. About 5 years ago, after a miserable cold winter day on the stream, I was putting some backpacking equipment away and saw my Ribz pack. The Ribz pack is made to keep gear more on your sides and in easy access. I use them when backpacking and hiking. Surprisingly, they hold a lot of gear and distribute it in a way that it feels less bulky. Now, I use that to carry most of my equipment under my waders (Due to being pretty streamlined) and use a small chest pack (Just bought the Umpqua Rock Creek pack with 550 cu in removable backpack last fall) for all my fly fishing. If anyone is like me, I highly suggest looking into the Ribz pack. Not made specifically for fly fishing but it's much better than any vest I ever had.

Posted on: 1/14 21:33

From Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
I use the Fishpond chest pack + small backpack combo. Like it a lot and is very adjustable, although can be a pain when you have on a wading jacket, which I put underneath the pack. Keep a couple fly boxes and essentials in the chest pack and the backpack holds my extra "just-in-case" flies. Not waterproof, although I aggressively wade as well, and the backpack has only gotten slightly wet a few times. Quality product, compared to an off-brand "no-name" chestpack + mini backpack I got a while ago that was shot after a year, torn threads + bindings, basically fell apart.

Posted on: 1/16 14:42

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com