Chest Box

JoeE

JoeE

I have both a Richardson and a Downstream and like them both. However has anyone ever tried the FlyteDeck. http://www.flytedeck.com/

Thanks

Joe E.

Joe,

I was looking at one just yesterday. I am inclined to get it but only one flybox...might be good for a niche time of year. I may get it to try to "curb my cargo" on the stream.

We had one donated to the chapter for our chapter. I helped bid it up, but it got a little rich for my blood. I thought it looked great for summer fishing when you have a fewer patterns and want to cut down on bulk.

There are some really nice, very small packs out there though. And those seem to have the upperhand on managing all the incidentals (tippet, shot, etc)

I only have one question-- is it really that hard to hold your fly rod under yoour arm or between you legs when yoou search for the right pattern or re-build your leader? I'm just sayin', is all.

Jack,

If you look at the website, you can swap the rod holder out for a combination Beer Can holder and ashtray....Would that put you closer to a sale? I mean you'd look mighty spiffy with a couple a cold ones hanging around your neck...and ya wouldn't have to concentrate on hanging onto that cigarette butt while fighting those fish. :lol::lol:

I was looking at it to hold saltwater flies. I'm normally close to the truck on the surf so I only need to take 6 to 12 flies at a time. I always end up chasing a fly fox in the surf if I'm chasing fish. I end up forgetting the box and I don't like losing flies to stupidity and I hate a vest and the chestbox stays out of the way of the stripping basket.

Joe E

Joe...your problem could be solved with a drill, chord and one of your old plastic boxes for alot less than $90.

Another problem I see with this box is its really just an Wheatley knockoff by Okuma. So the compartment wouldn't work for salt. You'd have to go with the the ripple or flat foam

Seriously, All this is is a harness ($10) with a Wheatley Knock off fly box velcroed to it. on a little angle iron and halfpipe for holding the rod. One nice thing the one I saw had was the floatant holders ($6 ea) and I think it had a couple zingers. Oh and a pouch for leaders.

I figured I could put terrestrials and caddis in it with a bottle of floatant for summer fishing. Carry other boxes in my fishing shirt pockets...I guess it would suit your use too. Just seems designed for small flies and trout.

I'm a little disappointed by the Flytedeck website.

I don't remember the little pouch for tippet being on the one I saw. I'd think that would be a nice addition.

Although to build on Maurice's craft-store knock off, I put something similar on my Richardson's box. I found a small pouch and mounted it on the front of my chestbox with velcro. You could do pretty much the same.

I'll say again though, there are some really, really nice ultra-light chestbox/lanyards out there that would do all the stuff the Flytedeck does, and hold up better than something that you'd cobble together.

take a vhs case and cut the guts out and glue it to the inside of your stripping basket..now add some foam and a handful of flies...works great... :-D :-D

I like the Downs. Carry five boxes or carry one. They're light and the pin attachments are quick and easy. It's about all I carry except for a fanny pack on occasion. Been paring down the crap I carry on the stream anymore. Vests encourage carrying too much stuff, including nets. Sorry, got a little off topic here.

Joe,
I was about to buy one of the Downstreams when I bought my Flytedeck, though, I didn't pay $90 for the Flytedeck, I got it for half that on ebay.
It's true the Okumas are Wheatley knockoffs, but since the hinge system is velcro, you can easily pick up some adhesive backed velcro and put Wheatley or any other box of your choice on the Flytedeck frame.
The frame has 6 zingers, and a pouch that can hold leaders or tippet material.
True, the frame only holds 1 box, but if I'm fishing the Delaware for smallies, that's all I use. If I'm trout fishing on one of the creeks, I'm usually wearing a vest and carry a couple of boxes. I just slap on the one that I'm using at the moment.
Overall, I quite satisfied with the Flytedeck, but, having one of a Flytedeck, Downstream or Richardson, I don't think I would buy one of the others.

Back