Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Cheap yet reliable Steelhead outfit

From Bozeman
I would think that outside air temps won't get cold enough to make a rod brittle. If it's cold enough to do that, you've got bigger problems... like the fact that you're going to die.

Am I off base? The same materials are often used in aerospace and other intense conditions.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 18:26

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

trowpa wrote:
I'm going to try Steelheading for the first time this fall. I'm looking for a cheap yet reliable combo. I'm willing to build, buy used, or new - whichever turns out to be the best deal.

You're not gonna beat the deal I told you about. Period. There is no way you'll find a combo that includes rod, reel, line, backing, leader, and rod case - plus a lifetime warranty - for even close to that price. It's more than capable of handling any steelhead you'll run into.

You're more than welcome to try my combo out to see if you like it (and no, mine is NOT for sale), but time is fleeting......

Posted on: 2010/9/1 19:02

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
How much Ed?

Posted on: 2010/9/1 19:14

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
How much Ed?

I can be bribed.......with pie.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 20:42

From Ohio
My first fly rod was a hobbs creek combo from bass pro. I had the 9' 8wt. I used it mainly for steelhead in Ohio and bass too. It was a great combo for the money. I would still use it if I hadn't slipped on the ice last winter and slammed the tip into the ground. When I got back to my feet and started fishing again, I thought my leader was tangled up on a twig until I realized it was the top 3" of my rod :( I bought another rod and still use the same reel. It has taken a nice beating too. It's a great entry level steelhead rod.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 21:07

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
How much Ed?

I don't think my wife would agree to that.....

Posted on: 2010/9/1 22:37

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
You're not gonna beat the deal I told you about. Period. There is no way you'll find a combo that includes rod, reel, line, backing, leader, and rod case - plus a lifetime warranty - for even close to that price.

Sounds like you're pushing for the Bean, stuff on clearance or anything special?

Quote:

I've seen the man in action at the Chinese Buffet, offer him lo mein!

Posted on: 2010/9/1 23:53

From Lehigh Valley
Silly gfen. You clearly do not believe in the power of the H.A. Network.

You also do not understand the current pie exchange rates. Lo Mein just won't cut it - it's pie or nothing. One slice. It is, however, almost 7 hours away from here.

I'm getting pie, and you're not - unless the Helement makes the trek to the Steelhead Jam.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 10:37

From The Hilton
Just make sure you get a rod 10ft or longer!

Posted on: 2010/9/2 11:06

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Silly gfen. You clearly do not believe in the power of the H.A. Network.

You also do not understand the current pie exchange rates. Lo Mein just won't cut it - it's pie or nothing. One slice. It is, however, almost 7 hours away from here.

I'm getting pie, and you're not - unless the Helement makes the trek to the Steelhead Jam.

No sir, I've watched the HAN (Heritage Angling Network) grow before my eyes, I'm not surprised at its reach in the least.. It makes the Illuminati look like a bunch of rank amatuers.

I am unaware of the power of this pie, truth. I am aware that I'm not driving 7 hours for pie unless its served to me on a nubile lass' bared stomach, with a fork made of ivory and whipped cream made from free range cows borne of the most pampered bovines of the Bailiwick of Guernsey.

The lass should have ginger hair, and a pale complexion. Points would be deducted for excessive freckling.

Upon completion of this scenario, I am prepared to consider this pie that worthy.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 11:47

what combo is it heritage ? jay i am not sure if it is true but i have heard about the im 7 & 8 graphite being more brittle than the im 6 for example in cold weather , not sure how true

Posted on: 2010/9/2 20:16

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
what combo is it heritage ?

Attach file:

jpg  Quest II 7wt combo.jpg (6.15 KB)
72_4c80452cd4e2c.jpg 190X219 px

Posted on: 2010/9/2 20:41

From SEPA
See, it was the Bean!

(I don't remember which line I have, but I'm really impressed by the lowest line rod I have from Bean, and there's something to be said for walk in, walk out eternal replacement service)

Anyways, on the pie thing..can you arrange that, coz I'll roll 7 hours if its that good. Hell, I'd go 8.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 23:17

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Anyways, on the pie thing..can you arrange that, coz I'll roll 7 hours if its that good. Hell, I'd go 8.

Yeah, it's that good. I made a comment to the waitress that it tasted like somebody's Grandmother made it - she laughed, and took me back to the kitchen.....and there stood a cute little old lady that looked like the prototypical Grandmother.

http://www.fishlakeerie.com/girarddinor/index.html

This place is flat out awesome. I make it a point to eat breakfast and lunch there every day I'm up there. If you show your fishing license, they give a 10% discount - gotta love it!

When I asked Gene if he was going to the Steelhead Jam, he said he doubted he'd be able to go. He asked me to eat some pie for him - no mention of big steelhead, or any of the fun stuff that happens at the Jam......Pie. Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 8:16

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Yeah, it's that good. I made a comment to the waitress that it tasted like somebody's Grandmother made it - she laughed, and took me back to the kitchen.....and there stood a cute little old lady that looked like the prototypical Grandmother.

I'm not old like you, so more importantly, what'd the waitress look like, and am I eating pie off her bare midriff?

Someone needs to move the steelhead jam about 4 hours closer to here.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 8:22

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com