Cheap but good chest wader recommendations?

R

Rexmobile

Hello all - I'm new to fly fishing and so far I love it dearly! I have most tackle, but no waders yet. Can anyone recommend some fairly inexpensive waders that I can purchase quickly (retail store) that might serve me for a few seasons?

Many thanks!!

You know the old saying...you can have it good or you can have it cheap or you can have it fast...anyway...

My first pair was a pair of Proline, neoprene chest waders. 50 bucks...lasted me 10 years...replaced them with Cabelas breathables for 100 bucks. Look in Walmart or Dicks for Hodgeman's waders. You should have your pic of breathable or neoprene...should be less then 75 bucks at the Mart..less than 90 at Dick's.

But be aware that neoprene's will be really hot in warm weather. I would recommend breathables.

A pair of Cabela's breathables should get you a few seasons if you take care of them, IE wash them and hang them in a cool dry place.

I spent like $115 on one of their better models with soft, stretchy shoulder straps and built in gravel guards and have no complaints at all. Though I've found that since I lost 100 lbs that all waders seem to feel more comfortably :p

You can get one of the cheaper breathables from cabela's for 70 or 80 bucks and they will do you just fine IMO.

Another vote for the breathables. Any extra money is well spent for this feature. I'm into my second season with Hodgman Wadelite breathable chest waders.

I'd go with stocking foot and purchase a pair of wading boots seperately, but you could save some money by going with the boot-foot. Check out this thread for a discussion of wading boots Boot Thread

Albatross is right about stocking foot ones. Get a $35 or so pair of felt bottom boots while you're at cabela's. I have two pair of them.... One with studs, one without. I, again, have no complaints.

I think the common thread is that Cabela's has some acceptable quality gear at a good price. Keep that in mind throughout your fly fishing lifetime.

I'm in college and can't afford much. Without cabela's and other discounted brands (and hand-me-downs) I don't think I'd be able to afford to fish as comfortably as I do.

Wulff is right, neoprenes are very hot in the summer. However, you don't really have to wear waders in the summer if you can take slightly cold water temps.

I have neoprene waders, and come April I was starting to get uncomfortably hot when fishing. I'm really big into hiking/camping, so I decided in lieu of wearing waders, to wear my water sandles (keen newports), hiking gaitors and quick drying shorts. This provides you no protection from the water, but gives you sturdy footware with the sandles, protection from tall grass/thickets with the gaitors, and quick drying clothing.

It may not be ideal for everyone, but if you have the gear and aren't a wuss about cold water, it beats buying another pair of waders.

But if you buy decent breathables and layer the right clothes under them. The good thing about breathables in the winter is that you don't get sweaty, and so you don't get cold. So long as your feet aren't bunched up in too tight boots, your hands should be the most miserable thing on you after a winter fishing trip.

Love my breathables ...wouldn't fish without them...but he said cheap and good. Neoprene is pretty durable..and really cheap...Look at them both...see if you think its worth it right now. You can always save up for a good pair of breathables once you're addicted.

Have to agree with the breathable wader . Got a pair of White River Stocking foot from Bass Pro and love them. Will not go back to neoprene . Cost around $130 - $150 with a pair of their wading boots . Have had no complaits, Fish at least twice a week so they are used hard just wash and hang to dry. Roll and put in storage bag .

Thanks all for the great advice!!

I have two pair of fairly inexpensive breathables. One pair (chest) for the few times I fish really deep water. The other pair are waist high and cover most of my trout fishing needs. Both stockingfoot, they partner with a pair of LLBeans boots that are light with Aqua-steath, studded bottoms. I would suggest strongly that you try on a pair of waders before buying them. I sent back at least two mail-order pairs before I wised up. One Hodgeman, and one Cabelas; the inseam legth was about two inches off on both pairs!

Back