Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Center Pin Rods and Reels

From Eastern PA
Stating that pining is "just for tribs" is silly. Pins come in all lengths and fishing damn near any stream with a pin make sense. Take Tilt to Spring Creek with pin and let him nymph it up and see what happens.
Pinning is not all about floats and beads. Nymphs could be presented beautifully.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 20:32

From Southwest, Pa
nothing worse than some idiot bashing pinners who is making ridiculously large arc swings...

rowjimmy gets best post of the summer.... Must have ran out of benzos.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 23:02

-Art Lee

From harlansburg
I don't care what type of fishing a person does, bait, spin, fly, pin, what ever. just be courteous and give everyone their space. it is damn rude for someone pinning to drift past others fishing downstream, just as it's damn rude for flyfishers to cast too close to bait or spin guys.
it's all about being considerate of others while your out there. if you want to pin, find a stretch of stream where you have room to do it and not piss anyone off. I don't walk up next to other fisherman and start swinging line in the air hoping they will leave, I simply find a place that gives me plenty of space to do what I need to do.
honestly, I hate seeing even one other guy on a stream, I usually fish to get away from people, not be part of a crowd.
as for pinning, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime, looks to be very effective for certain fish/situations.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 7:57

From Eastern PA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
I don't care what type of fishing a person does, bait, spin, fly, pin, what ever. just be courteous and give everyone their space. it is damn rude for someone pinning to drift past others fishing downstream, just as it's damn rude for flyfishers to cast too close to bait or spin guys.
it's all about being considerate of others while your out there. if you want to pin, find a stretch of stream where you have room to do it and not piss anyone off. I don't walk up next to other fisherman and start swinging line in the air hoping they will leave, I simply find a place that gives me plenty of space to do what I need to do.
honestly, I hate seeing even one other guy on a stream, I usually fish to get away from people, not be part of a crowd.
as for pinning, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime, looks to be very effective for certain fish/situations.

Well said and right on!

Posted on: 2011/6/17 8:40

From Altoona/Smoke Run
I have a small pin (8 footer/ 4inch cp) That I put together for fishing stockies in the early spring. It is a blast. Drag free drifts and no clicker!

I have however seen dudes get hero drifts with baitcasters too. They can be quite deadly and just bought a nice ambassador for the NY tribs this fall.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 16:36

From Southwest, Pa
i fished w. flies under the pin before I ever picked up a fly rod.. they actually predate fly rods and reels believe it or not.

I actually take up less space with a pin then I do with a fly rod, but unlike most, even for steel, I pin with a 9 ft rod (it keeps plenty of line off the water as I don't drift much farther than I would swing a fly)

wallis cast a quarter up, retrieve line as it comes towards you to keep all line off water, small trott, a few yards downstream. I have outfished my friends with pt's, a 2g float, and a small taper of shot.

If all a pinner does is make hero drifts, they aren't using it right imo.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 21:55

-Art Lee

Agree 100% if there are 3 or 4 of us we can stand and fish a section effectively that only 2 flyfisherman can due to casting restrictions

Posted on: 2011/6/17 22:25

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Tilt, how many pin set ups do you own?

Posted on: 2011/6/18 10:37

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Currently 5 but numbers 6 and 7 will be here by fall! One of them is a really small trib/local trout setup but have only had it out once so far, been using the fly rod a little more this past year

Posted on: 2011/6/18 22:46

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com