Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Carrying you net

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
I have yet find a way to carry my net that I am comfortable with. Right no I use a magnet on the back of my rest/pack or jacket and then run an elastic cord somewhere on my body. I hate the cord but do not want to loose my expensive net. Suggestions.

Posted on: 4/4 13:47

Re: Carrying you net

From Lansdale
Get a cheaper net?
Seriously, though, it will hang up on brush unless it's behind you.
You could get one of the folding nets. It may be smaller and less obtrusive, but you still need it attached when wading. It would be a shame to lose a good fish in the net because the net slipped out of your hand.

Posted on: 4/4 13:51

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
Well Unfortunately I was given a nice Ghost Brodin by my kids as a gift. I like it a lot and want it on the water. I guess the thing I can't figure out best is where to attach the lanyard. It feels best on the right side but I land the fish using the left hand.

Posted on: 4/4 14:00

From Lansdale
Try to get bit to the magnet to middle of your back, between the shoulder blades

Posted on: 4/4 15:21

From Philadelphia
Orvis sells a net minder which consists of an earth magnet strength detachable set attached to each other with a elastic coil. I attach one end to the D ring on my vest and I then have a french clip to attach my net to the other end of the net minder. I use it on my back and like it a lot. When I'm landing the fish I grab the net which releases the two halves of the magnet but is still connected to the net minder. Once I net the fish to take picture, I release the net from the minder using the french clip. When done, I reclip the french clip and then put the net behind me until the two magnets mate with each other. Just watch your finger because if your skin pinches between the two halves, it hurts like hell!

See below only mine has a french clip.

Attach file:

jpg  318T.jpg (26.50 KB)
5296_533f079ec08c8.jpg 325X197 px

Posted on: 4/4 15:23

From NE OH
When I'm fishing for trout, I just keep a small net on my wading belt with a carabiner. It won't come off and it's convenient to get to. I fish alone quite a bit. I have found retractors and all of the other devices just fail eventually.

Posted on: 4/4 15:25

From Philadelphia
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
Try to get bit to the magnet to middle of your back, between the shoulder blades

Keith, just get them close and the magnets take over from there. I have NEVER had an issue mating the two other than getting my skin pinched. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 4/4 15:29

From Philadelphia PA
Locally fishing I don't bring a net. It's just to much a bother. I do however get my hand wet before I handle the fish.

Posted on: 4/4 15:29
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Philadelphia
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Locally fishing I don't bring a net. It's just to much a bother. I do however get my hand wet before I handle the fish.

I carry a net with me almost every time out but maybe only use it 40% of the time. But I took the man's question to be about safely carrying the nice gift he received, not whether he should carry a net.

Posted on: 4/4 15:32

From Ephrata, PA
Foxgap thanks for the Orvis tip. I'm just not in the habit of carrying a net. I bought one, lost it, bought one, lost it, finally bought one that I've had for about 2 years now, but most times it lays in the back of the Volvo. I just keep forgetting to strap it on! Taking pictures of fish is much easier w/ a net, I think. Gotta change my habits. Especially when I'm fishing streams that hold larger trout.

Posted on: 4/4 15:39

From Philadelphia PA
The Butt crack works good if your using waist high waders with a belt. Just make sure the net handle is splinter free. Why else would God give us this area?

Posted on: 4/4 15:39
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Philadelphia
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Foxgap thanks for the Orvis tip. I'm just not in the habit of carrying a net. I bought one, lost it, bought one, lost it, finally bought one that I've had for about 2 years now, but most times it lays in the back of the Volvo. I just keep forgetting to strap it on! Taking pictures of fish is much easier w/ a net, I think. Gotta change my habits. Especially when I'm fishing streams that hold larger trout.

Andy, I have 2 nets, 1 for larger streams and 1 for brookie streams. The brookie stream net is more trouble than it is worth on small streams but I still like to have it in case I hook a monster (as I have once in the past) and won't miss getting a picture because I had no net to land him.

Buttcrack won't work for me as I never wear waist highs but your suggestion has merit, especially for those Philly plumber types.

Posted on: 4/4 15:53

From Lansdale
"Keith, just get them close and the magnets take over from there. I have NEVER had an issue mating the two other than getting my skin pinched. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I haven't had a problem either.I do the same as you, Fox.

When we fishing?

Posted on: 4/4 16:02

From Ferguson Twp.
^^Ditto^^ Don't even know it's there.

Posted on: 4/4 16:19

From Luzerne County, PA
I use a carabiner also from the net leash to my chest pack, then throw the net over my shoulder opposite my rod hand side. Also have the wading staff with a carabiner clipped to the downstream side so the current keeps it out of my fly casting area.

Posted on: 4/4 16:59

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com