Can I replace a plastic reel seat

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Hey guys,
Yesterday while fishing I broke the locking mechanism that holds my reel in place. I have a Cabela's Genisis rod and the entire reel seat is plastic. I haven't beed able to loosen the lock that is holding the reel on and was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to replace the reel seat and how I can go about loosening it. I good replacing plastic reel seat on a fly rod and only thing I found was how to heat a metal seat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

here is a better Cabelas rod on sale for the price of a decent reel seat. No assembly required.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0051121320102a&navCount=2&podId=0051121&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat20457_TGP&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&hasJS=true

I've had this thing about a year! If I'm getting a new rod I'm returning this POS for store credit and will invest an extra $100 to a 4 weight 9'. Hey wait why didn't I think of that before posting this! But incase they won't take it could I replace the seat?

You could but it would not be worth the cost in my opinion. I broke an older "traditional" rod shortly after the one year warranty. They gave me about 30 bucks for it. Look up the price of the reel seat you want and figure it out. Can it be done? Sure. If it s your only rod, just replace it. If it s a back up and you can fix it when you get around to it, you can make it a better rod. But in my opinion, it wasn't that great a rod in the first place.

Why would you return something after a year of use.... sounds to me like you are abusing the return policy of the store.

Cabela's brand merchandise is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and/or against defects in workmanship.

Maybe the workmanship in fastening the reel seat was on the shoddy side and you can get it off without too much trouble. Looks like you will have to remove some cork as well.

I would take some pictures and throw them up on a rod building board and get opinions from some of those experts. Don't know them myself but Google knows all.

Above is if Cabela's does't make good on the warranty to your satisfaction.

I still stand by my original statement... in their warranty it says Lifetime of the product and a crappy cabelas fly rod with a plastic reel seat has a lifetime of no more than a year.

I would be embarrased to try and say it's their fault the rod fell apart after a year of use

I would definitely try to have them take care of it as a warranty claim. It isn't necessary to waste big bucks on equipment to boost your self esteem. There are other less costly ways of doing that.

If there is not a fighting butt on the rod then it shouldn't be too bad of a fix. Check out mudhole.com for their online rod building videos, that should give you an idea of what's involved. Also some of the reel seats fit into the cork and some sit flush against the cork.

Its good business. They want you to keep buying their gear. You buy a cheap rod. It breaks. They give you portion of what they think its worth in the form a Cabela's gift certificate. You spend it toward another, hopefully better, rod.

You can stand by whatever you want. But I don't think they would say it if they weren't willing to stand by their own words. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 100 outfit to still work one year later.

Spyder20oz wrote:
a crappy cabelas fly rod with a plastic reel seat has a lifetime of no more than a year.

Really?

From Cabela's Field Test on the Genesis combo:

"All of the Genesis combo rods are two-piece, set off with double-foot chrome snake guides, which will serve well for many years to come."

Plastic is more durable than wood.

I'd take it back, but I'm cheap.

You can get a walnut reel seat on ebay for less than 10 bucks shipped.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__fly-reel-seat?_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_stpos=15222&_fcid=1&gbr=1

I had one fall off a rod once. Called the company and the guy on the phone told me i could ship it and pay for shipping or go to home depot and buy some epoxy glue. Did it myself and it has been in place for almost ten years.

I have the bottom half of my first rod, a Redington crosswater combo... It has a plastic reel seat on it you're welcome to have and try to use to repair your Genesis.

Or, as I would, you can try to take it back to get either a replacement or money. As I understand it, lots of the Cabela's branded stuff is on mega sale lately, including the Traditional, PT+, and their Three Forks rods are always cheap.

As for Cabela's branded stuff, all these blanks are probably coming from the same handful of makers anyways. Further more, you know they just pay another company to mass produce them with the Cabela's script on 'em instead of whomever. Its just as productive as any name brand, and the garuntee is something to enjoy (I took back my LST after over a year of ownership because I didn't like it, I justified it because I felt the shop attendee didn't really give me alot to work with when I bought it, instead said, "this is good" and got me out the door).

Back