Camcorders

C

curtrein

Hey Guys:

I am looking to buy a camcorder to use for filming my friends and I on our future fishing adventures. I am just wondering if anyone else does this and what kind of camcorder you would recommend. I want to shoot video and transfer it to my computer so that I can edit it and put it on dvd eventually. Just wanted to know everyone's two cents on this topic. Can you tell I'm getting cabin fever?!

Thanks in advance everyone,
Curt

If you want to edit it, definitely go mini DV. You may not be able to get video digitized from a dvd camcorder. One of the best little camcorders out there with a good OPTICAL zoom (turn off the digital zoom it'll look like crap) is the Canon ZR series. Start looking at the ZR500 and look right up to the 800. They may even have one above that now, i'm not sure. It must have firewire or IEEE 1394 or i-link...or whatever that particular company is calling their digital link. Its all the same, just make sure it has it.

http://tinyurl.com/2c3n2u

Yup it looks like they've gone up a couple models since i last looked.

You might be able to pick up a lesser model (500, 600, 700) on ebay.

Heres a 500 cheap...

http://tinyurl.com/3d9jbh

What editing program are you going to use?

BTW - A video cam is awesome for diagnosing casting issues.

I own a sony. However, it's a little big (and expensive) to carry and fish without making a trip to the car to drop one off. In order to use it someone has to sit out and none of my friend are interested in that.
I believe all newer camcorders are compatable with computers. But I recomend the new didgital ones (no tapes or cd's to mess with). Plus for being relatively new technology, they are inexpensive ($300 -- $500 for a decent one).

Just an option to consider: Get a decent still camera and learn how to use it by either taking a class or reading books on photography.

I think good still photos have more impact and are more interesting than video. I'll happily look through people fishing pictures, but I'll watch fishing video only under duress. It's just painfully boring to watch IMHO.

An advantage of still photography is that it doesn't interefere with the fishing as much. And will save you a lot of editing time too.

As someone who shoots video for a living and has done so for nearly 20 years...let me say this: I love good still images. I use them often in my video even when I have the same shots on video. Like troutbert said, its an impact thing. But there are times, and I think most of them, when you just can't do justice to an event with a still image. Thats why even when I edit stills I have to add audio. Nothing worse than watching uncle Charlie's slide shows.

On my last trip to Idaho all I took along was a still. I was more then pleased with what I brought home. I wouldn't have done it any other way, either because like someone else said, I just don't like to bother. When you shoot video for a living its not always something you want to do in your free time.

It sounds like curtrein would like to go above and beyond the call with this which is why he mentioned wanting to edit. My guess is that curtrein already has a still camera. I'd be very interested to see how his videos turn out. He can correct me if i'm wrong but i'm guessing he is a younger guy and like many these days, very capable of putting something far more interesting then just video of him and his buddies fishing. I've seen some amazingly good videos done recently by "kids" and the things they like to do. I would not discourage this.

As for the suggestion of the camcorders with the internal drive...not yet and definitely not in a situation where you could drop it on the ground or in the water. I mean heck, if I'm going to drop a camera and break it or ruin it, I'd at least like to be able to get the video that I went thru so much trouble to get. mini DV will give you a very good quality image and less headaches in the computer. Plus, if you are out for a couple days in a row, you don't have to worry about not being able to shoot any more once your camera is full. Buy your camera from Tigerdirect.com, your tapes on ebay..and an extra battery or 2 on ebay will set you back less than 10 bucks. You will want a polarizing filter for your camera though if you will be shooting fishing. Ebay, as well.

Tomgamber:

Thanks for your great reply to my question. It seems like you are reading my mind. One of my friends is an amateur videographer and he is truly phenomenol with his videos and editing. BTW, this same friend taped my wedding and made a stellar DVD for it. Every year, he goes out to Montana and takes his camera along and makes a new DVD every year so he is sort of my video inspiration. Also, this sweet website called fliesandfins.com has been getting my creative juices flowing also. Some of the videos on there are phenomenol and those are what I aspire to create. Also, I am not sure what edting program I will use either.
With all of that being said, I am just starting my research on camcorders and trying to get a feel for what would suit my needs. My photographer friend recommends the Panasonic pv-gs300. The only thing I don't like about that suggestion though is the 10x zoom. I would think that something with a 20-30x would be more beneficial. Just throwing out some thoughts. I appreciate any further advice that Tom Gamber or anyone else gives me on this topic.

Thanks a bunch,
Curt

Well, 500 bucks gives you a little more room to move as far as what you want in a camera. Unfortunately, a smaller zoom is the trade off on the 3ccd camera your friend suggested. Once you get to anything bigger than a 12x zoom on a 3 chip camera, you are looking at around 1500. Then you might as well go all out and get something like a GL2. Do you have an editing program? I may be able to help you narrow down your camera choices if I know where you are going to edit your video. Some play nicer together than others. Let me look around a little for you and I see if I can find something appropriate. Maybe if you give me a total budget for what you are willing to spend, I can help you more. Are you PC or Mac?...Is your final output always going to be DVD?...What part of the state do you live in? Let me know...I see what I can find.

In the meantime, heres a vid I did one year when i was freelancing for a PHG news station.

http://freelancevideo.net/webvids/Family%20Tyes.wmv

Not gritty or exciting but its the news, ya know.

tomgamber wrote:

In the meantime, heres a vid I did one year when i was freelancing for a PHG news station.

http://freelancevideo.net/webvids/Family%20Tyes.wmv

Not gritty or exciting but its the news, ya know.

I'd still like to see it though.

Forbidden
Remote Host: [70.247.228.56, 10.133.24.251]

You do not have permission to access http://freelancevideo.net/webvids/Family%20Tyes.wmv
Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using FreeServers

http://freelancevideo.net/aboutusfreelance.htm

just click on the pics to play the videos.

tomgamber wrote:
http://freelancevideo.net/aboutusfreelance.htm

just click on the pics to play the videos.

Nice work Tom. Looks like a fun job, but I’ll bet its a lot harder then it looks. When I think how many pictures I have to take before coming up with a good one, I can’t even imagine how hard it is to put 2 minutes of good video together.

Tom:

1. I do not know what editing program I will be using. That is up for suggestion.
2. I live 10 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

I have been hearing good things about the Canon Elura 100. What do you think about this camera.

Thanks for your continued help.
Curt

Tom:

Also, I have a PC and I may post videos on the internet also.

Thanks,
Curt

Back