Cabela's is going the way of the golf grip too...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Even called the 9 Iron...jeez!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Cabelas-9-Iron-Fly-Rod/1882531.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rods%2F_%2FN-1102568%2FNs-IS_NEW_FLAG%257C1%257C%257CSDATE%257C1%257C%257CPRODUCT_NAME%257C0%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%26WTz_srn%3DSeeAllItems%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105573780

Nothing wrong with that other than the hokey name.

Did you ever end up with a streamer rod? Sent you some stuff but never heard back.

Tacky polymer provides a sure grip even in cold, wet conditions

Well, they got that right.

Not yet Kray...

6k in new porch, sidewalks, parging around foundation has been keeping me occupied. Got your messages and thank you for the suggestions. I may end up with the one you have if I they are still in stock. Thanks!

If there gone, holler and I'll find one for ya.

Bobby Jr. showed me a new Bass Pro rod series that have the foam handles on Saturday. Get used to it…

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-270-Fly-Rods/product/1401310941022/

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Heat-Fly-Rods/product/1311210736422/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

You ever cast one of those? Bobby almost got me in one a while back. They seem pretty stout

"tacky"

"9 iron"

Caution, marketing geniuses at work...

I'm guessing Orvis would use different ad copy for selling the same type of rod.

troutbert wrote:
I'm guessing Orvis would use different ad copy for selling the same type of rod.

New Edition Orvis would fill its catalogue pages with bearded young go-getters in checked shirts and buffs extolling the tactical benefits of their rubber grips available in your choice of Desert Sage, New Zealand Blue, or Bloomin' Onion.

You're old, didn't you already experience this hype with EVA foam?

I have a Heat Rod 7' 10" 8wt with cork. It is a club.

The 270 I picked up in store was a wet noodle...

I would like to try a Redington VAPEN (Black, Red or Cork)

For tossing muppet babies, you might be better with predator model.

not flyfishing but I bought a spinning rod with new style grips
hate to admit it but it is every bit as pleasant to use as the best cork handles. Times change,sadly.

The new 270 is nothing close to a wet noodle. I'd say Med fast. Actually has a good action. The last one was a broomstick. Jus it seems they lowered their price range.

The new classic they offer is one hell of a rod too. Med action

And the vapen to me is super stiff. But for streamers I could see it being nice

I am developing a golf club with a cork grip. This club can also extend to 9' like a tenkara rod and be used in the golf course ponds for bass.

10' 7wt loch style golfing.

Not me, I give every single one of you guys permission to punch me in the face if you ever see me fishing with a grip like that.

Times change ...

Not really in this aspect. My Browning Silaflex that I bought in the 70's has a foam grip. I may not use it much anymore, but I probably caught more fish on it than any other rod I own, and never minded the lack of cork.

Good cork has gotten to be expensive -- almost all the good stuff goes into wine bottles. If a plastic grip significantly lowers the price of the rod, why not use it on low end rods?

(Not to say that I find it aesthetically pleasing, but then again I don't find graphite aesthetically pleasing either.)

Based on the condition of my golf game, sign me up for one of those cork handled 9 irons. Maybe it would help.

Back