Cabela's brand fly line

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Does anyone have any experience with Cabela's brand line or who makes it? They have some Prestige and Prestige Premier on sale in their bargain cave for $30 and $40 in various types and I wondered who made it. Is it decent line for the price? Thanks!

They are currently made by SA. Well worth the $20-$40 or so when they are on sale.

I got a 3WF with a combo purchase of a Three Forks rod. i have no problem with the line. i also picked up a 4WF in the bargain cave. It's fine also.

I got a 6wt "plus" line for my nephews rod last Christmas. It floats and hasn't cracked. It doesn't seem to go out of the guides very well though. I don't know if its the taper or the coating. We will be replacing it over the winter for that reason.

I have not used any cabelas line, But when i went to Alaska, i needed some extra reels and such (in case), and i lined most of them with the Cortland 444 lines. they are cheap and to be quite honest, they last as long if not longer than the top end lines and for a fraction of the cost. just a thought tho if you are trying to save some money.

I bought the prestige plus wf5f and didn't like it. The line I have does not float well at all. Has held up well but I rarely use it anymore. I heard it was made by SA for cabelas so I thought it would be better. I have a $40 SA aircell I think it is and I like it much more then the cabelas $30-$40 plus. SA line is much slicker and floats way better IMO. I have to treat the first couple feet constantly to keep it floating. Reviews on cabelas web site are mixed some love it some hate it. I will never buy it again. They want you to think you are getting a $100 fly line for $30-$40. But it's just a $40 fly line IMO it's no SA gpx or rio gold etc.

I have Cabelas Prestige Plus lines on two of my reels. One is a WFF5, the other is their Warmwater series WFF6. Both have done fine by me and I like that for $30 they came with welded loops. The Warmwater line has been very versatile. I usually fish Buggers, Clousers, Poppers and the like with it, but found myself in the midst of a Sulphur hatch with it once and it was delicate enough with size 16 Sulphur Parachutes to catch some picky limestone Browns.

I had bought their cheap bargain line with the leader n backing. Did the job but sucked. I only say that because now I use more expensive lines and it makes a huge difference!

A good inexpensive line is Cortland 333.

Another Cabelas alternative: I used to fish only Cortland lines, not anymore. Here's an inexpensive, durable quality line I've been fishing for the past six or seven years. Hook and Hackle lines are the only ones I use these days.

IMO, they are just as good as Cortland 333 -- on sale now for $25! Expect two seasons of moderate use with proper care. I've had a double taper for three, and expect another season.

I like the olive color too.... not crazy about all the neon, crime-scene tape colors offered these days.

I hate to burst your bubble greenghost, but from what I've heard the hook and hackle lines are just relabled Cortland... so you're still fishing Cortland lines.

Cool. No bubble bursting there. That makes me feel even better. Cortland lines for $25... can't beat that!

Back