Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Cabela's brand Rod/Reel combos

From Lewistown, PA
I was just looking at the Cabela's website, and they have some amazingly cheap rods, reels, and rod/reel combos on sale right now!

I'm not one to put down a ton of money on luxury gear, so I really like the Wind River combo ($89)- really resonably priced, and looks functional.

Also possibly looking at the three forks rod with a prestige plus reel that they have on sale right now. That reel is selling for $25 right now, which is nuts!

Anybody have experience with any of these products? The reviews all look good, but who knows.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 14:56

Re: Cabela's brand Rod/Reel combos

I have some friends that have bought the inexpensive combo sets at Cabelas. IMO they were good quality, nice casting outfits. The price is unbeatable.

Good luck, Tony

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:21

From Lansdale
Lovin' my 3 weight Three Forks combo.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:26

From NEPA
I have no complaints with my prestige combo. The fish don't seem to mind. And plus its Cabelas so if you don't like it or break it they'll take it back. (Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

Posted on: 2013/3/22 17:42

From Lewistown, PA
I decided to buy the 4 weight Wind River Combo (http://bit.ly/10e839w). Got it yesterday, and I'm kind of regretting not having also bought another one! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to happily use my cheapy "custom" 6 weight again.

The 8'6" 4 weight is really great - extremely light, and a faster action than my current rod. I was able to cast my indicator nymph rig to spots that I could never have gotten to with my other rod - it felt very precise.

Also I love the Wind River reel. It looks great, is really light weight, has an easily adjustable drag, and takes in line very smoothly. The fly line that the reel was spooled with was actually a pretty decent line. I was worried that I'd get a cheapy line that I'd have to replace, but I'll fish this one for a while.

The combo was definitely worth the $89 that I paid for it.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:27

From SEPA
Quote:

bstone97 wrote:
(Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

On paper, or have you actually used them in recent history?

If you have a rod, expect to show the receipt. Don't expect them to find it in their system for you. If you don't have a receipt be expected to pitch a fit. Good luck in your fit pitching.

You will get what they see as a match, because obviously the product you bought is no longer produced.

In the case of a reel, you'd better have your break within the one year date, and you better have that receipt. Again, nevermind that they can find you in a system (it won't work), and nevermind that its a Cabela's branded product: no proof no fix.

Furthermore, their once promise of "lifetime satisfaction" has been downgraded to 90 days. Less if it uses a battery.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:38

From NW Pa
Just one cautionary note.....when buying a pre-loaded reel it would benefit you to strip the fly line to the backing. My fishing partner purchased a similar package last year and fished all season successfully. This winter I told him that he should maybe clean and dress his flyline in preparation for the upcoming season. When he stripped the flyline from the reel IT WAS NOT TIED TO THE BACKING! If you are making such purchases from Big Box stores, it would be advisable to make sure everything is assembled properly......

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:14

From Indiana Co., PA
I plan on getting a three forks 8' 4wt for my girlfriend to.learn on Friday, cant beat $50 for a rod for a beginner.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 17:26

From NEPA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

bstone97 wrote:
(Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

On paper, or have you actually used them in recent history?

If you have a rod, expect to show the receipt. Don't expect them to find it in their system for you. If you don't have a receipt be expected to pitch a fit. Good luck in your fit pitching.

You will get what they see as a match, because obviously the product you bought is no longer produced.

In the case of a reel, you'd better have your break within the one year date, and you better have that receipt. Again, nevermind that they can find you in a system (it won't work), and nevermind that its a Cabela's branded product: no proof no fix.

Furthermore, their once promise of "lifetime satisfaction" has been downgraded to 90 days. Less if it uses a battery.

I guess I've been lucky. I have never had my receipt maybe once but I have never had an issue. Back in Feb. I took a rod back that I broke the tip off of either by stepping on it or closing it in my truck door, I had the rod for maybe three years or so. They told me they could give me $15 store credit or replace place it if they had the same rod in stock. They had the rod and I walked out with a brand new rod. I have also never had an issue with returning reels. I used to return my Penn saltwater reel once a year just to get a new one and NEVER had an issue. And my last example and one that I cant even believe I got away with was when I returned a pair of Danner boots. I owed the boot for at least 2 years and wore them to work building sewer treatment plants. The boots started to leak, I took them into the store and walked out with a brand new pair of boots. So gfen, personally from my own experiences I feel Cabelas is great when it comes to returns or exchanges.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 19:13

From Lancaster
I think Cabelas makes some decent quality gear for the price. I purchased my first Cabelas rod this spring. I bought a 9' 8 wt. Three Forks Rod and put an out of production Cabelas RLS reel on it. (couldn't resist the clearance price for a pretty good quality reel) Also, I put an SA Magnum Taper line on it and I am really happy with how it casts some larger flies. Hopefully with some decent weather I can tie into some big smallies, largemouth, carp or pike with it. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Cabelas line of gear in their rod/reel combos. Too avoid some of the above mentioned issues: KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 21:46

From Chester County
Quote:

chromid wrote:
Just one cautionary note.....when buying a pre-loaded reel it would benefit you to strip the fly line to the backing. My fishing partner purchased a similar package last year and fished all season successfully. This winter I told him that he should maybe clean and dress his flyline in preparation for the upcoming season. When he stripped the flyline from the reel IT WAS NOT TIED TO THE BACKING! If you are making such purchases from Big Box stores, it would be advisable to make sure everything is assembled properly......

I was on the water teaching a FFing class and one student was really have trouble casting with one of those combos mentioned above with prespooled line.

I examined the fly line and it looked to be very thin level fly line. I stripped out more of the line and discovered it was WF line spooled on backwards. The guy was casting the running line end instead of the tapered end. His casting improved quickly after I reversed the line.

Anyway, good advice above...check it out before fishing it.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 7:55

Quote:

bstone97 wrote:

I guess I've been lucky. I have never had my receipt maybe once but I have never had an issue. Back in Feb. I took a rod back that I broke the tip off of either by stepping on it or closing it in my truck door, I had the rod for maybe three years or so. They told me they could give me $15 store credit or replace place it if they had the same rod in stock. They had the rod and I walked out with a brand new rod. I have also never had an issue with returning reels. I used to return my Penn saltwater reel once a year just to get a new one and NEVER had an issue. And my last example and one that I cant even believe I got away with was when I returned a pair of Danner boots. I owed the boot for at least 2 years and wore them to work building sewer treatment plants. The boots started to leak, I took them into the store and walked out with a brand new pair of boots. So gfen, personally from my own experiences I feel Cabelas is great when it comes to returns or exchanges.

These are the reasons stores have to rewrite their exchange policies. I think its great when a store like Cabelas stands behind the products that they sell, but then people like you take advantage of it.

Tony

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:11

From NEPA
Quote:

Tony300wby wrote:
[quote]

These are the reasons stores have to rewrite their exchange policies. I think its great when a store like Cabelas stands behind the products that they sell, but then people like you take advantage of it.

Tony

How is it taking advantage of anything? They stand by their product. They want to keep me happy and keep me as a returning shopper so I spend more of my money at their store. They do all of the above and their return/exchange policies are a big reason of that. I didn't write their exchange policies. I just follow them. Don't be butt hurt because you didn't think of it too.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 17:58

Quote:

bstone97 wrote:
How is it taking advantage of anything? They stand by their product. They want to keep me happy and keep me as a returning shopper so I spend more of my money at their store. They do all of the above and their return/exchange policies are a big reason of that. I didn't write their exchange policies. I just follow them. Don't be butt hurt because you didn't think of it too.

Read their return policies. Your three examples all go above and beyond the policy. Using a retailer or manufacturers warranty to have a product that is defective or prematurely wore out replaced or fixed is fine. Your three year old rod did not have a defect, you broke it by being careless. You returned your Penn reels every year "Just To Get A New One". Your two year old boots gave you plenty of service. Your three examples are very clear examples of taking advantage.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to think of ways to deceive the system, just a lack of honesty. So no Im not "Butt Hurt". Im not even sure what "Butt Hurt" is. Ill have to ask my 12 year old son what it is, sounds like something that age group would be using.

Tony

Posted on: 2013/3/28 19:31

Edited by Tony300wby on 2013/3/28 19:55:19

From NEPA
Quote:

Tony300wby wrote:
Quote:

bstone97 wrote:

Read their return policies. Your three examples all go above and beyond the policy. Using a retailer or manufacturers warranty to have a product that is defective or prematurely wore out replaced or fixed is fine. Your three year old rod did not have a defect, you broke it by being careless. You returned your Penn reels every year "Just To Get A New One". Your two year old boots gave you plenty of service. Your three examples are very clear examples of taking advantage.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to think of ways to deceive the system, just a lack of honesty. So no Im not "Butt Hurt". Im not even sure what "Butt Hurt" is. Ill have to ask my 12 year old son what it is, sounds like something that age group would be using.

Tony

OK I went to their website and read the policy. I suggest you do the same. I was well within their policy. So again sir I do not see how I am taking advantage of anything. It just goes to show what a store will do to keep the shopper happy and keep them coming back. You seem bitter Tony, dont be bitter be happy. No need to get so worked up.

#damntheman

Posted on: 2013/3/28 22:29

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com