Cabela's brand Rod/Reel combos

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I was just looking at the Cabela's website, and they have some amazingly cheap rods, reels, and rod/reel combos on sale right now!

I'm not one to put down a ton of money on luxury gear, so I really like the Wind River combo ($89)- really resonably priced, and looks functional.

Also possibly looking at the three forks rod with a prestige plus reel that they have on sale right now. That reel is selling for $25 right now, which is nuts!

Anybody have experience with any of these products? The reviews all look good, but who knows.

I have some friends that have bought the inexpensive combo sets at Cabelas. IMO they were good quality, nice casting outfits. The price is unbeatable.

Good luck, Tony

Lovin' my 3 weight Three Forks combo.

I have no complaints with my prestige combo. The fish don't seem to mind. And plus its Cabelas so if you don't like it or break it they'll take it back. (Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

I decided to buy the 4 weight Wind River Combo (http://bit.ly/10e839w). Got it yesterday, and I'm kind of regretting not having also bought another one! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to happily use my cheapy "custom" 6 weight again.

The 8'6" 4 weight is really great - extremely light, and a faster action than my current rod. I was able to cast my indicator nymph rig to spots that I could never have gotten to with my other rod - it felt very precise.

Also I love the Wind River reel. It looks great, is really light weight, has an easily adjustable drag, and takes in line very smoothly. The fly line that the reel was spooled with was actually a pretty decent line. I was worried that I'd get a cheapy line that I'd have to replace, but I'll fish this one for a while.

The combo was definitely worth the $89 that I paid for it.

bstone97 wrote:
(Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

On paper, or have you actually used them in recent history?

If you have a rod, expect to show the receipt. Don't expect them to find it in their system for you. If you don't have a receipt be expected to pitch a fit. Good luck in your fit pitching.

You will get what they see as a match, because obviously the product you bought is no longer produced.

In the case of a reel, you'd better have your break within the one year date, and you better have that receipt. Again, nevermind that they can find you in a system (it won't work), and nevermind that its a Cabela's branded product: no proof no fix.

Furthermore, their once promise of "lifetime satisfaction" has been downgraded to 90 days. Less if it uses a battery.

Just one cautionary note.....when buying a pre-loaded reel it would benefit you to strip the fly line to the backing. My fishing partner purchased a similar package last year and fished all season successfully. This winter I told him that he should maybe clean and dress his flyline in preparation for the upcoming season. When he stripped the flyline from the reel IT WAS NOT TIED TO THE BACKING! If you are making such purchases from Big Box stores, it would be advisable to make sure everything is assembled properly......

I plan on getting a three forks 8' 4wt for my girlfriend to.learn on Friday, cant beat $50 for a rod for a beginner.

gfen wrote:
bstone97 wrote:
(Just my opinion but Cabelas has the best return/exchange policies)

On paper, or have you actually used them in recent history?

If you have a rod, expect to show the receipt. Don't expect them to find it in their system for you. If you don't have a receipt be expected to pitch a fit. Good luck in your fit pitching.

You will get what they see as a match, because obviously the product you bought is no longer produced.

In the case of a reel, you'd better have your break within the one year date, and you better have that receipt. Again, nevermind that they can find you in a system (it won't work), and nevermind that its a Cabela's branded product: no proof no fix.

Furthermore, their once promise of "lifetime satisfaction" has been downgraded to 90 days. Less if it uses a battery.

I guess I've been lucky. I have never had my receipt maybe once but I have never had an issue. Back in Feb. I took a rod back that I broke the tip off of either by stepping on it or closing it in my truck door, I had the rod for maybe three years or so. They told me they could give me $15 store credit or replace place it if they had the same rod in stock. They had the rod and I walked out with a brand new rod. I have also never had an issue with returning reels. I used to return my Penn saltwater reel once a year just to get a new one and NEVER had an issue. And my last example and one that I cant even believe I got away with was when I returned a pair of Danner boots. I owed the boot for at least 2 years and wore them to work building sewer treatment plants. The boots started to leak, I took them into the store and walked out with a brand new pair of boots. So gfen, personally from my own experiences I feel Cabelas is great when it comes to returns or exchanges.

I think Cabelas makes some decent quality gear for the price. I purchased my first Cabelas rod this spring. I bought a 9' 8 wt. Three Forks Rod and put an out of production Cabelas RLS reel on it. (couldn't resist the clearance price for a pretty good quality reel) Also, I put an SA Magnum Taper line on it and I am really happy with how it casts some larger flies. Hopefully with some decent weather I can tie into some big smallies, largemouth, carp or pike with it. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Cabelas line of gear in their rod/reel combos. Too avoid some of the above mentioned issues: KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

chromid wrote:
Just one cautionary note.....when buying a pre-loaded reel it would benefit you to strip the fly line to the backing. My fishing partner purchased a similar package last year and fished all season successfully. This winter I told him that he should maybe clean and dress his flyline in preparation for the upcoming season. When he stripped the flyline from the reel IT WAS NOT TIED TO THE BACKING! If you are making such purchases from Big Box stores, it would be advisable to make sure everything is assembled properly......

I was on the water teaching a FFing class and one student was really have trouble casting with one of those combos mentioned above with prespooled line.

I examined the fly line and it looked to be very thin level fly line. I stripped out more of the line and discovered it was WF line spooled on backwards. The guy was casting the running line end instead of the tapered end. His casting improved quickly after I reversed the line.

Anyway, good advice above...check it out before fishing it.

bstone97 wrote:

I guess I've been lucky. I have never had my receipt maybe once but I have never had an issue. Back in Feb. I took a rod back that I broke the tip off of either by stepping on it or closing it in my truck door, I had the rod for maybe three years or so. They told me they could give me $15 store credit or replace place it if they had the same rod in stock. They had the rod and I walked out with a brand new rod. I have also never had an issue with returning reels. I used to return my Penn saltwater reel once a year just to get a new one and NEVER had an issue. And my last example and one that I cant even believe I got away with was when I returned a pair of Danner boots. I owed the boot for at least 2 years and wore them to work building sewer treatment plants. The boots started to leak, I took them into the store and walked out with a brand new pair of boots. So gfen, personally from my own experiences I feel Cabelas is great when it comes to returns or exchanges.

These are the reasons stores have to rewrite their exchange policies. I think its great when a store like Cabelas stands behind the products that they sell, but then people like you take advantage of it.

Tony

Tony300wby wrote:
These are the reasons stores have to rewrite their exchange policies. I think its great when a store like Cabelas stands behind the products that they sell, but then people like you take advantage of it.

Tony

How is it taking advantage of anything? They stand by their product. They want to keep me happy and keep me as a returning shopper so I spend more of my money at their store. They do all of the above and their return/exchange policies are a big reason of that. I didn't write their exchange policies. I just follow them. Don't be butt hurt because you didn't think of it too.

bstone97 wrote:
How is it taking advantage of anything? They stand by their product. They want to keep me happy and keep me as a returning shopper so I spend more of my money at their store. They do all of the above and their return/exchange policies are a big reason of that. I didn't write their exchange policies. I just follow them. Don't be butt hurt because you didn't think of it too.

Read their return policies. Your three examples all go above and beyond the policy. Using a retailer or manufacturers warranty to have a product that is defective or prematurely wore out replaced or fixed is fine. Your three year old rod did not have a defect, you broke it by being careless. You returned your Penn reels every year "Just To Get A New One". Your two year old boots gave you plenty of service. Your three examples are very clear examples of taking advantage.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to think of ways to deceive the system, just a lack of honesty. So no Im not "Butt Hurt". Im not even sure what "Butt Hurt" is. Ill have to ask my 12 year old son what it is, sounds like something that age group would be using.

Tony

Tony300wby wrote:
bstone97 wrote:

Read their return policies. Your three examples all go above and beyond the policy. Using a retailer or manufacturers warranty to have a product that is defective or prematurely wore out replaced or fixed is fine. Your three year old rod did not have a defect, you broke it by being careless. You returned your Penn reels every year "Just To Get A New One". Your two year old boots gave you plenty of service. Your three examples are very clear examples of taking advantage.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to think of ways to deceive the system, just a lack of honesty. So no Im not "Butt Hurt". Im not even sure what "Butt Hurt" is. Ill have to ask my 12 year old son what it is, sounds like something that age group would be using.

Tony

OK I went to their website and read the policy. I suggest you do the same. I was well within their policy. So again sir I do not see how I am taking advantage of anything. It just goes to show what a store will do to keep the shopper happy and keep them coming back. You seem bitter Tony, dont be bitter be happy. No need to get so worked up.

#damntheman

Please post a link to the "policy" page that you are reading, and highlight the sections that fit your three situations. Because the ones that I read are not even close to what you are saying is acceptable.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ReturnsPolicy

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=Guarantee&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcms778

Not bitter, just unimpressed.

Tony

Tony300wby wrote:
Please post a link to the "policy" page that you are reading, and highlight the sections that fit your three situations. Because the ones that I read are not even close to what you are saying is acceptable.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ReturnsPolicy

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=Guarantee&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcms778

Not bitter, just unimpressed.

Tony

Same link Tony.

The rod and reels fall under this (copied and pasted right from Cabelas webstite):

Without Receipt: Items returned within the guidelines without a receipt will be processed at the lowest sale price plus applicable sales tax. Such items may be exchanged for the same product or returned for merchandise credit in the form of a Cabela's gift card.

The boots fall under this:

GUIDELINES:
Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship.

All other Cabela's brand merchandise and National brand boots and shoes are guaranteed for one full year under normal use and against defects in materials or workmanship.

And since my boots were Danners I feel that Cabelas went above and beyond in addressing my leaky boot issue.

SO again Tony I do NOT see how I am taking advantage of anything. How bout you highlight in their policy where my situation falls? I see your argument I really do but working within a return/exchange policy is every consumer's right. And shame on you and everyone else that doesn't use it. I have never lied or been dishonest when returning/exchanging an item. There's no need to, Cabelas just wants to make the consumer happy. It's simple business 101, a happy consumer buys more, a pissed off consumer buys less. So please provide specific facts on how I'm taking advantage. Thank you for time. And happy fishing

#damntheman

Hey Tony,

You just don't get it! FFers are looking for quality stuff...cheap!, made in the U.S., with lifetime warranties (even if it broke by backing a truck over it 20 years after buying it) AND want the same warranty even it was bought it used (did I mention cheap?)

Of the thousands of things we buy and own, how many other things do you expect such prices, warranties and service from?

bstone97,

Try to copy and paste the whole thing!

[color=CC0000]If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 90 days* of purchase.[/color]

You forgot to include this sentence, it was right above the part that you copied and pasted. Gfen made this clear very early.

Obviously Cabelas is very lenient when it comes to their return policy. If my 3 year old rod was broken while casting, maybe I would take it back to see if they could do anything. After breaking it in a car door, I wouldnt think about returning it. Returning reels every year "Just To Get A New One"??? Keep telling yourself that is being honest. You take used boots back after 2 years when the policy says 1 year. Just attempting to return after that amount of time shows me that you are taking advantage of the system. There is a big difference between a company trying to keep their customers happy, and a customer taking advantage.

Tony

afishinado,

I hear you.

I am going to tell my wife to stop giving our kids clothing to Good Will when they out grow them, Ill have her just return it all for new stuff that fits. Maybe she can return the bread to the store when it gets hard and moldy too. I have been so stupid all these years, instead of buying new work boots every year I should have just returned them.

Can you imagine if everyone thought like this? Every product that we buy would cost 1000x more.

Good luck, Tony

Back