Cabela's Traditional III

Swattie87

Swattie87

Cabela's Traditional III

Anyone have a chance to check these out yet?...Just came out in the last couple of months. Thoughts? Or thoughts from anyone who's owned a previous generation Traditional?

I'm still in the market for a 4 piece, med/fast, 4-5 wt, 7'0-7'6 rod for overnight backpacking into some remote streams. The Traditional III has a 7'6 4wt for $100. I have a trip planned for May/June with my father in law that will probably require a packable rod, so sometime this Spring I'll need to make a purchase. I have two Brookie rods already, but both are 2 piecers. Leading contender to this point has been an Orvis Clearwater, but that is twice as expensive as the Traditional III. Components look good for the price range, but sometimes rods in this price range just have a clunky feel (ala St. Croix Rio Santo). No way to know for sure until I try it and I'm probably making a Cabela's run this weekend, just looking for some thoughts in the meantime. No need to recommend other rods that fit the bill here, I've done my research and tried a bunch, just looking for some thoughts on the Traditional series since this is new on my radar now.

Thanks gang.

I have 2 Traditional II rods a 7'6 - 4 wt and a 9' - 5wt. I like them both but I don't own any expensive rods to compair them to. =:/

Thanks jreichel. I was at Cabela's this morning...they didn't have the Traditional III's in yet. The display was all ready for them and the fly shop guy said they were in transit and due in this week. I'll get back up there at some point this Spring and check them out.

Swattie did they have any of the new cgts?

Yeah, they were there. Darn good looking rods too. Usually not a huge fan of glass but they were impressive. Definitely a more middle of the road action than the 50th Anniversary CGR's...didn't cast them but on the jiggle test they are noticeably faster than the CGR's

Interesting ill have to get down there. I love the Cgr casting stroke but due to the extreme flex I feel the hook set isn't strong enough thus losing more fish

I just checked out the trIII at the cabelas in boise. I wasnt really impressed. I liked the feel of the tlr over the trIII.

Matt, have you checked out the TFO professional series 2? I think that would be a good option.

Thanks Josh.

No, haven't checked the TFO Pro II out. If I get the chance I will.

From my understanding the TFO pro II are the same blank as the original pro model. Only difference I was told was the reinforced cork an a different reel seat. I just picked up a TFO pro 10' 5wt for 52$

My fishing buddy has a II i guess it is and he absolutely loves it. He's let me cast it once or twice and i thought it was nice. He also let me hold it once while there was a 30" steeljead on the other end cause he wanted to get a picture and was fumbling with a new camera. I broke the fish off accidentally. Honest.

Back