Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cabela's Three Forks 9ft 8wt

From Ohio
Well, it's winter and I always seem to buy look into more gear in the winter. Tis' the season for spending Christmas money!

I have some money in gift cards from and might end up getting this rod. I don't want to put a lot of money into an 8wt right now, so I'm thinking about getting this one. From reading some reviews it seems like it's a decent rod for the money. Anyone have it?

Posted on: 2013/1/2 10:49

Re: Cabela's Three Forks 9ft 8wt

From Clearfield
Not the 8wt, but I do have the 3wt, and for the money it's a great rod.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 11:04

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I have the 8'6 5wt. Decent enough rod for the price. It's not really in my starting rotation any more, but that's mainly because I've found I like shorter 4 wts on smaller streams, and I got a new 6wt for Smallies. I don't do much Trout fishing on medium to larger streams, which is probably where I would use the rod most frequently. The rod casted and handled just fine though. Only complaint was with the quality of the cork, pitted easily...but it's probably in line with its price range and competitors.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 11:15

From Morrisville
It's not my rod but used the 8wt for my salmon river trip in nov and i liked the rod. Didn't do any real casting with it but overall a nice rod landed a nice brown with it. for the money the only issue I see is like Swattie said the cork is lower grade but not a deal breaker.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 16:48

From Lancaster
I just stopped in at Cabelas today to use my discount flyer to purchase some tying materials (saved over $7 on $28 worth of materials) I looked at all of the 9' 8 wts that they had there. That price point on the Three Forks is just really hard to ignore! Swattie, how would you describe the action on your 865? A buddy of mine broke a tip on his 865 Three Forks last summer (doing something that you shouldn't do with a fly road). Luckily, we were fishing the Little Skuke just above Port Clinton and were going past Cabelas on the way home. We stopped in and in less than 30 minutes he was going home with a brand new rod. Another benefit of buying a Cabelas product, particularly for a guy like me who gets past there on a very regular basis.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:03

dc - I'd say it's a middle of the road med/fast. I often was using it as a WW rod and was throwing Buggers and Poppers and the like with it though. It may seem a touch faster throwing less weight.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:20

From Lancaster
Swattie - I'm seriously considering the Three Forks 8 wt. I am going to scout for some areas where I think there may possibly be some "hog" smallies. I am going to throw some bigger offerings if I think it is worth it. Something like a size 1/0 Half and Half about 6-7" or so in length. Do you think I can lay out 60' of line using a WW/Bass taper WF line on a Three Forks 8 wt rod? I appreciate your input.

Streamerguy - I am certainly not trying trying to steal your thread. Hopefully some of my questions can be of value to you as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:23

dc - To be honest I don't know. The heaviest rod I own is a 6 wt and I don't have much experience with heavier rods and really big flies. Even for Smallies the biggest I go is about a size 4. Maybe some of the bigger Bass or Muskie guys can chime in.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:52

From Ohio
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I think I will get this rod then. Worst case it'll just be a backup.

dc40- you're fine. I actually had hog smallies in mind as well!

Posted on: 2013/1/2 21:03

From Lancaster
Thanks, Swattie. I appreciate your input.

Streamerguy - Good luck next season with your new outfit. Hope you smash some big ones. I'll be checking out your 2013 year end pictures.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 21:55

From Ohio
Just received the rod today. It is just a tad bit tip heavy, but not as much as some other low-end 8wts I looked at. Didn't get to cast it yet though. For $59.99 I'm impressed so far.

The only thing I don't like is how it says "made in China" on the rod lol. I don't think the fish will notice, and I could always fix it.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 16:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com