Cabela's Fly Lines?

S

shultzy501

I'm making a trip to Cabela's this weekend! :) I need a new fly line and was wondering if anyone has ever used any of the Cabela's lines. They have a Prestige Plus that is reasonably priced. I am also considering a Cortland Lazerline. I will be buying a WF5F. I fish larger streams mostly - Lackawaxen River and Delaware.

Any suggestions or input?

Thanks in advance!

I have a prestige plus line I got with an 8wt outfit a couple years ago. Its pretty slick and casts well. I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Its good line. I'm not one of those people that will buy expensive line, though. But I like it.

I've got the Prestige Plus on a 7wt that I had used for steelhead. Nice line for the money and it didn't break the bank either. Considering that I don't make the trek to Erie to fish anymore, it's turned into an even better purchase.

I echo the comments on the prestige plus, it isn't quite as slick, supple, or memory free as my rios and orvis wonderlines, but it good for the money. More durable than the rios but don't float as well. I have owned a cortland 444 before, and it was the worst line ever. I would definitely get the prestige plus over the cortland.

The regular prestige lines are a lot less supple and slick, I have one of these.....get the prestige plus.

I don't mind spending a little more to get a better line, but are the Orvis, Rio, and others that much better to justify the price difference? Does the Cabela's Prestige Plus perform almost the same?

shultzy501,

If you are worried that you won't get your money's worth...Don't.
Rio lines are great and perform well. They are also over priced and many people have said in the past that they jave had cheaper lines outlast them in years.

My advice...either buy the cabela's plus line or see if they have a cortland 333HT line left...its still the best line I have ever used for the money. I got over 9 years of fishing from a 333ht line. Bought it in 93 and just replaced it a few years ago. I did buy an Orvis line last year because it was only 24 bucks and its very nice...but as its a WF8I I'll probably only use it a few times a year. I now buy factory seconds from a shop in CO online for 8.50 a piece. http://www.fortackle.com/
haven't been disappointed yet...

I agree with Tom. I'm thinking of switching back to cheap lines for my next lines. I LOVE how my Rios cast/float, but they are lasting me a year max. I honestly don't think I can tell a big difference in my my more durable SA GPX (3 years steelhead/bass fishing nad counting) and Orvis Wonderlines (2 years) from my Prestige Plus (2 years of lighter use), maybe just a touch more slick and supple. You pay twice as much for 10% better performance and often take a hit with durability with the more expensive lines.

Dear Schultzy,

I'm a big fan of Cortland lines, but I use mostly the 444 Classic. I find it lasts a good long time and floats well as long as you clean it occasionally with those little felt pads they give you with a line.

Having said that, I have a Cabela's Prestige line that is 4 years old and still works just fine for me. Some people will probably be put off by the bright orange color but I don't mind it and neither do the fish. They are $ 29.95. You can get a pretty decent line for even less money if you buy a Scientific Anglers Air Cel, Cabela's has them for $ 24.95.

There is so much absolute BS marketing of flylines that the Attorney General should investigate the manufacturers. They have people snookered into believing they need not just $ 60.00 fly lines to fish for trout, but different $ 60.00 fly lines for nymphs, streamers, cold weather, presentation, stillwater, etc., etc.

It's all just a scam to get your money.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I have a 5 wt Cabelas Prestige Plus line, and I've been very happy with it. But I'm new to the sport, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Just picked up a couple of Prestige Plus lines for my dad and I. We'll see how they work.

By the way, Cabela's is great! They talked me into a Cabela's charge card. I could be in trouble.

Back