Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Buyers Remorse Superfine

From lancaster
not a bad starter rod at all it was actually my first rod and i still take it out sometime...you will be happy with what ya bought but your rod you took back with the slow action and full flex. It doesn't get any better than that for me! Glad to see you got what you wanted and that you are happy. TIGHT LINES!

Posted on: 2010/4/8 9:17

From Murrysville, PA
Yeah yeah yeah....Bummer to let go of the superior rod. Not ready for it yet though.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 13:42

From Suburban Pittsburgh
That's a quality setup and it sounds as though you're much happier about it. Even though the Superfine may be superior in quality, it may not be the right fit for you now. When you are ready though, you know where to go back to. Sounds like the shop took great care of you.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:17

From Bozeman
Your casting stroke could very easily evolve so that the superfine would be intolerable. You couldn't pay me to fish with one... maybe you'll be the same.

Until you're sure you know what you want, it's good to go cheap.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:55

From St.Clair
Quote:

by jayL on 2010/4/8 15:55:54

Your casting stroke could very easily evolve so that the superfine would be intolerable. You couldn't pay me to fish with one... maybe you'll be the same.

Until you're sure you know what you want, it's good to go cheap.

I'd take money to fish with my superfine anyday

Posted on: 2010/4/8 20:52

From Bozeman
Well, I'd probably take the money and fish it too. At least if it wasn't a much anticipated trip or something.

But the point stands. They are wet noodles.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 22:47

From St.Clair
I wont lie.. It took me quite a bit to cast over 25 feet.. hahaha

Posted on: 2010/4/9 6:39

From Chester County
Quote:

jayL wrote:

Well, I'd probably take the money and fish it too. At least if it wasn't a much anticipated trip or something.

But the point stands. They are wet noodles.

LOL.....If the Orvis SF was the only rod left in the quiver, I'd forage for a suitable branch from a tree and nail-knot my fly line to that and fish......(don't tell Sal that though!)

Don't ever forget though, different strokes for different folks.......

Posted on: 2010/4/9 6:59

"different strokes for different folks"

Right, but also different sticks for different cricks! :) I usually fish dry flies, and often use rods of 6 feet or less for nano-stream brookies. But I also have a pair of 7', 4 weight, 1 oz superfines that are really great for casting dries on slightly bigger streams with a gentler delivery. (Got one at an orvis warehouse sale for $200, the other for less through PAFF.)

In a lawn cast, on a big stream, or when casting any weight, I might say the superfines range is limited, but that doesn't matter on the streams I fish. It's very easy to spook a pool of wild fish on a small stream when the fly line hits the water too hard, particularly when the pool's surface is smooth. You can do a lot of work to get behind a pool full of wild fish you can see, and then spook a few with a cast and start an unhelpful fish panic. If I can make a more subtle dry fly presentation with the superfine, anyone can, trust me :)

btw, I have always found it interesting that too hard a delivery will do more to spook a pool of fish than actually catching the fish one at a time... don't the fish say, "hey, something just happened to Fred over there?"

Posted on: 2010/4/11 7:02

From picture rocks pa 17762
rods are generally marketed for those who have and those who have not. a good rod costs about $50.00. for the big superstores. a great rod costs a bit more with a big price tag on advertisement.

maxima

Posted on: 2010/4/12 14:52

Quote:

maxima12 wrote:
rods are generally marketed for those who have and those who have not. a good rod costs about $50.00. for the big superstores. a great rod costs a bit more with a big price tag on advertisement.

maxima

And a leader shouldn't cost more than 50 cents... whats your point?

Posted on: 2010/4/13 22:23

From picture rocks pa 17762
glockman said what's the point. fish on. sounds like you are either a sales rep or you have deep pockets full of loot. point being "how deep will we dig into our pocketbooks". a shiny glistening fly rod bending in the mourning sunlight. is it more of a thrill with a $800 dollar fly rod. or is it something more of a status thing. decked out in pocket filled vests, breathable waders, fly boxes loaded to the hilt.

fly fishermen are a different breed. we seek perfection and try to reach a top level of understanding. regretfully i have noticed a great decline in youth fly fishing and fishing in general. is it possible we have pushed the sport to a point of inbalance with itself. i agree a leader should be 50 cents. remember when flies were 50 cents.

if i caused you to raise an eyebrow, then my work is complete. i like pushing the edge. been called a fool more than i can remember. sometimes we think what's in it for me. as a fly fisherman i would like to think, what's in it for everyone.

as always let the dust and smoke settle where it lands.

maxima

Posted on: 2010/4/14 9:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com