Brook Trout rod...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

For local nepa brook trout streams near me...6'6" 3 weight or a 7' 3 weight? Any advantages/disadvantages to either and would an 764 or 804 be an option? Thanks! I really do want this solely for tiny streams and stuff. Not looking to spend a lot of coin either. Any suggestions?

IMO 3 or 4 weight would work. I would use the longest rod that will work on the smallest stream I would fish. My shortest flyrod is a Loomis GL3 6'6" 3 weight. It works great in tight quarters.

7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, graphite.

I have a 7' 4wt eagle claw featherlight I love it and it's cheap too

Perfect gemmy set up...

I believe a racoon on a leash is pretty dang funny.

SBecker wrote:
I believe a racoon on a leash is pretty dang funny.

I thought it was funny. Make a good crayfish getter too.

Lol agree.

I would love to have a racoon on a leash to go to a brookie stream.

Hey, leave we outta this thread.

I was recently (over the weekend) given a 7' 6" 3 weight Cabelas Three Forks rod that also had a nice little Redington reel attached to it with fly line already on it. Anyone have experience with this little number?

Big-Bass wrote:
For local nepa brook trout streams near me...6'6" 3 weight or a 7' 3 weight? Any advantages/disadvantages to either and would an 764 or 804 be an option? Thanks! I really do want this solely for tiny streams and stuff. Not looking to spend a lot of coin either. Any suggestions?

I'd vote for the shorer one.
To be sure, I happen to really like very short fly rods and typically use a rod of around 5' in length on small streams, including limestoners. As well in my neck of the woods, brookie streams tend to have very dense rhododendron and shorter rods work better due to the cramped environment. Line weight makes no difference IMO.
If you only have a couple fly rods, the longer one might prove more versatile for other applications. However, if you're looking for a brookie rod, go small IMO.

I have never wished I had a shorter rod.

Coach,

I've used the 7'6", 3 wt. Three Forks for over 10 years and I like it. Paid $29.00 for it. Fished open and tight streams with it with no problems - look at your surroundings before you cast.

I wish I had a shorter rod, said no one ever...

oh wait, we're talking fly rods here.

I binge-spent this fall and bought a Helios 2 4 weight 7'.

Very versatile from 4" brookies to 20" Leroys.

I have a St. Croix Avid 7' 6" in 3 wt. It has done well for me on the blue lines.

I also have a self-built 6' 2 wt built on a hook-hackle Xi blank. For what I spent, it is a solid rod too.

I like options.

The answer to this question depends on so many factors that it is almost impossible to answer.

First of all, we have no idea how small a creek you are talking about and how much cover or overgrowth there is. There are some creeks I've fished that are so overgrown with rhododendron that I can barely cast a 5' rod. Then there are others that while tiny are wide open. I've fished some of those with an 11' Tenkara rod.

Some people like fast rods for tiny creeks others like slower rods. Neither are wrong. I prefer slower fiberglass but to be honest when you get to super short rods like 5' or 5'6", even glass can be surprisingly fast. Some folks like light line weights, others heavier line weights. Some like longer rods, other like shorter...

While I fish a LOT with a 6'6" 3wt on small streams, I always opt for something longer when ever I can to get the extra reach to keep the sagging belly of line from my rod tip, away from the faster water which spoils the drift. Short rods SUCK at this.

The other factor if money is an object is practicality. I’d be lying if I said I couldn’t use a 7’ 4wt rod where I fish a 6’6” 3wt but, I have been to plenty of spots where the 7’ 4wt was the better choice and the 6’6” 3wt would have sucked, especially on really windy days.

For that reason I’d say get a 7’ 4wt. You will use it much more and it has the added advantage of being a fine choice for streams that are bigger.

FWIW - If by local NEPA you are talking about the Poconos, I use a 7’ rod on most of the small streams up there with the exception of a very few.

On brookie streams, my most common rod is a 7'6" 4/5 weight fairly fast action graphite rod and I put 7 wt line on it. Many say overweighting slows a rod down, which is true if you're casting 30 ft of fly line. But when you're casting far shorter distances, IMO the heavier line weight merely loads the rod like it was supposed to be loaded. For me, in thicker stuff, being able to generate line speed with little or no backcast, and very short lengths of line off the tip, is really what you're looking for.

In more open surroundings, or for pickier fish where you'll be throwing smaller flies, then the advantages of faster action and heavier line weights lose their luster, and the soft action-low weight rods come into their own.

For brook trout streams I use a 7'6 3wt rod w a size 1 Battenkill reel. Great set up and also capable of handling larger water/fish.

Back