Brodin Economy Nets

C

crs5942

Hello. Does any one have any experience with the Brodin Trout Bum nets? They have the clear rubber nets, aka "ghost" nets, but they are aluminum frames with plastic handles. They are considered economy nets and cost about $50. I was wondering if they are sturdy nets or if the handles are flimsy. I want to switch to a clear rubber net but I am not sure I want to fork out >$100 for a lightweight one. Anyone have experiece with these "economy" nets? Any reviews would be appreciated. Thanks.

I second that question. I was looking at the "bum" nets also.

I own a similar net with a wooden frame. I like the net a great deal. It is heavy, however. I have seen the Brodin trout bum net and it appears to be well made. It is also very light in weight. I like it better than my net.
On the other hand, if price is the biggest concern, Bass Pro has the wooden frame version with the ghost rubber bag for less than $40.

True.but those frabil nets aren't.real strong. Broke one by falling on it. The second one I got feels like I can snap the frame.by hand. If they keep breaking or are flimsy, spending $50 once is a much better deal.

krayfish wrote:
True.but those frabil nets aren't.real strong. Broke one by falling on it. The second one I got feels like I can snap the frame.by hand. If they keep breaking or are flimsy, spending $50 once is a much better deal.

I agree.
I would trade my frabil plus 20 bucks for a Brodin trout bum in a minute.

exactly!

I was looking at the regular wooden nets and was having trouble brining myself to spend $115.... BUT.... if the frame is made of hardwood and not white pine, it would last much longer. I ended up deciding that the extra expense made sense in the long run. I went to the Brodin site and noticed that they were coming out with the new line of nets for March 2012. That looked like even a better deal and was hoping someone else had seen one or could provide any info.

Trout Bum San Juan.... here I come!

I have the Brodin Ghost net and all i can say is that it is awesome. Its lightweight, and I dont even realize im wearing it on my back. They may be pricey, but i think its worth it. You get what ya pay for.

Picked up a trout bum net at the fly fishing show. Looks pretty decent.

I looked at the trout bum nets today at the show. They were selling for $49. The one fly shop had one of the wooden Cutthroat nets with the ghost bag for $80 vs the TCO shop price of $99 and the Brodin MSRP of $115. I ended up getting the wooden net because it was lighter and much nicer looking than the trout bum. The trout bum was a sturdy net but the craftsmanship left much to be desired. I knew that I could not pass up paying $31 more for a wooden frame. Even with the sale price, the net was still much more than I have ever spent on a net. I think I will be very happy with it though for many years.

I think you'll like your purchase. I was going for long lasting instead of style with my purchase.

Back