Boot repair

J

JohnPowers

Now that we've just about all barge cemented wading boots back together, who wouldn't rejoice if Weinbrenner started cranking out the Gary borger boots again. Simple workboot with felt soles. Soles were SEWN on the upper, not secured with a dab of glue in China. I suddenly experienced tough wading on the WB two seasons ago. Found the sole on a pair of Orvis boots had let go back to the heel. Had to use a spare lace to tie the sole on. Orvis made good. Two year old SIMMS from TCO in Bryn Mawr. Soles delaminating. Normal wear and tear ok, but a boot should not fail at a glue joint period. These boots are junk.

Korkers devils canyon, love them and you can change the sole.

Just got my first pair of Korkers, found KGB on the flea-bay for $60. Hope they hold up as well as everyone says! Wading boots have been my bane this year.

I had weinbrenner studded felts and they lasted a little over two years. I liked them. Now I have the patagonias with the bars which are too aggressive for most places I fish and a pair of danner felt soled wading boots. Both have been pretty good but I don't have too many hours on the patagonias.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Just got my first pair of Korkers, found KGB on the flea-bay for $60. Hope they hold up as well as everyone says! Wading boots have been my bane this year.

Depending on the water your fishing you may want to purchase some different soles. If I'm in md (felt sole ban) I use the studded rubber or the vibrum studded. In Pa I go felt. I never use the standard rubber vibrum not enough traction on the slick rocks of western md. You can check out all the different soles on the korkers website.

Yeah that's my plan. They came w/ felt and the standard rubber (which I doubt I'll ever use) Plan on gettin' some of the studded soles.

Ryansheehan - how comfortable are they for walking/hiking? How long have they lasted for you? Curious as I'll be looking for some new boots this winter. Thanks!

My pair of Simms G3 boots lasted about 2 trips before the studs started ripping out. Simms sent me extra studs and after losing about 15 of them I returned them. I just got my warranty pair in the mail and they have survived 1 trip so far. Those Alumibite studs are junk and kept ripping right out. I just have their normal studs in now. I am kinds wishing I went with Korkers now but at least Simms did warranty the boots. Just wish I could have gotten my $20 shipping back...thought they would throw in a shirt or hat or something for the inconvinence.

My pick with all of these is that they are all GLUED together. At this point I'm going to say that neither Simms or Orvis have any in-plant Quality Assurance program. I wouldn't want to go to Chung King and tour a boot plant either but both the Orvis and now the Simms have a dab of cement in critical places that hold the sole on. The sole of a boot should never ever fall off.

raftman wrote:
Ryansheehan - how comfortable are they for walking/hiking? How long have they lasted for you? Curious as I'll be looking for some new boots this winter. Thanks!

Very comfortable, I do alot of hiking with them as I move quite a bit on the rivers I fish. They are now a year old and are still in great shape. The studded vibrum idrogrip is the sole I use the most and there is not a stud missing, for me thats a miracle. I've used many different wading boots from many different companies and this is the best Ive found in terms of durability, traction and comfort.

My Alumibite spikes in my g3's come out all the time also

Back