Boot Studs

W

wsender

http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/tip-stop-grossly-overpaying-wading-boot-studs/771153?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=hatchmag

Great article, and even a greater find. To anyone who wades, these are a must have and a much better solution than name brand studs.

awesome. seriously.

and to article writer . . . couldn't.

bulk buy people?

It really is awesome. I've lost a few studs in my boots but have been putting off getting new studs due to the ludicrously high price of screws.

This.is.amazing.

NICE. PULL. Finally can stop picking through the IKEA as-is bins for matching screws/mini-studs. Thanks for sharing.

wsender wrote:
http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/tip-stop-grossly-overpaying-wading-boot-studs/771153?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=hatchmag

Great article, and even a greater find. To anyone who wades, these are a must have and a much better solution than name brand studs.

Thanks for posting the article, wsender.

I can't tell you how excited I was by this discovery. I've been pissing and moaning about the ridiculous prices that the major gear companies get for studs for years now.

Not to mention, these things kept me glued to the river bottom. Waded with total confidence. I can't say the same thing about more expensive options I've purchased before.

Definitely support Melinda's if you don't want to buy the higher quantity. I bought a box of 100 from Melinda's and expect them to last a couple seasons at least.

Ah. Nice proofreading on my part. Thanks.

will - you got your line, right?

greenlander wrote:
Ah. Nice proofreading on my part. Thanks.

will - you got your line, right?

I did! Just got it earlier in the week. It's sitting on my desk and I'm looking at it right now. I hope to get it wet all next week.

if u research wading studs or boots , i posted about these a yr ago , nice to see many of u are finally catching on !!! , 250 of them for 20.00 which is very dirt cheap and imo they bite better than the carbide nubbys !

This is what I use. Trial and error kinda thing. I started with the 2 inch and now have it down to where I'm not bleeding anymore......

Very cool. I bought sheet metal screws a hair longer than what my original studs were and filed off the sharp tips to look like the studs. Haven't tried any yet but the heads are a bit shorter than my original studs.

I've been using hex head 3/8" sheet metal screws from the hardware store for a while now with no complaints. This looks like a nice improvement for next time though.

I'm from New England originally, and everyone there says "I could care less." It never made any sense to me either..

I'm looking at getting some simms g4 guide boots as a christmas present to myself. I don't feel like paying the ludicrous prices for the carbide studs though. These seem like a viable option. My only reservation however, is that I've been told that once these studs (or similar sheet metal screws) wear down there is no way to get them out, as they've been "stripped," so there's no tool that will work to get them back out to replace. Thoughts?

Vice Grips.

Vise grips work perfectly. I just replaced the old sheet metal screws in my shoes last weekend. For the screws that are really ground down, nippers ( the tool that is used to pull nails from wood) might be used to twist the screws out.

Perhaps you could look at it this way: at $0.08 a piece, you don't have to wait for them to wear down to nubs before you try to pull them. When they start to wear significantly, replace them with new ones.

When you can load up a single boot with 20 studs for $1.60, you can afford to replace them much more often.

greenlander wrote:
Perhaps you could look at it this way: at $0.08 a piece, you don't have to wait for them to wear down to nubs before you try to pull them. When they start to wear significantly, replace them with new ones.

When you can load up a single boot with 20 studs for $1.60, you can afford to replace them much more often.

Did you get the 3/8" or the 1/2" in length? What is the head size? I may buy some tomorrow when I'm up there, I just bought sheet metal screws yesterday but these are better for sue. Great find Sender.

mcwillja wrote:
greenlander wrote:

Did you get the 3/8" or the 1/2" in length? What is the head size? I may buy some tomorrow when I'm up there, I just bought sheet metal screws yesterday but these are better for sue. Great find Sender.

I went with the 3/8.

can't believe how many people haven't known about this been doing the 3/8 x 3/8 hex head screw since the 70's. was a big thing even back then..

Back