Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Boot Foot Studs

From North East PA
Wondering if anyone has ever added studs to boot foot waders?

I'm using strap on studded soles now and would really prefer to stud the boot, but am leery of damaging the sole!

Thoughts?

Posted on: 1/11 21:34

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

Re: Boot Foot Studs

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
if they are new with a good sole, you can stud the lugs.

Posted on: 1/12 6:58

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Williamsport, PA
My experience is its a total waste of time! I had the Simms G3 lug sole boots that were designed to add studs. I installed them with a dab of urethane and didn't over tighten them (over tightening them will strip it out). The torque put on them while walking on the stream bed is just too much to hold them. I lost around 20 studs and sent them back under warranty. I got the warranty pair and it did the same thing along with tearing the rubber sole. Its just too much torque and stress put on them to have the screw in type studs stay attached to the sole. I sent that pair of G3s back as well.

IF you do decide to stud your boots I'd get the Kold Kutter studs designed for motorcycles. They are cheap (not as big of a deal when you lose them) and work as well as anything else out there.

Posted on: 1/12 9:42

From North East PA
Thanks for the responses!

May give it a shot with the Kold Kutters

Posted on: 1/12 19:45

They ain't cheap but they work and HOLD much better than a sheet metal screw:

http://www.gripstuds.com/

I presently use them in a pair of Muck Chore Boots and never lost a stud in over 5 years. I've also used them in felt & rubber wading shoes and never lost one.

You have to pick the right size and make a pilot hole and screw it in so it just barely protrudes which is the reason sheet metal screws come out...

...they stick out too far.

Posted on: 1/12 21:31

From New Castle, PA
Those look pretty good. That's the sort if thread design that the Simms (and ithers) studs should have had from day one for the price they charge. It'll be interesting to see if FFing companies adopt this style of screw in stud. However, I'm thinking that the industry is moving towards aluminum bars for traction.

Posted on: 1/12 22:26

I have been using the Kold Kutters for many years with great success.

Posted on: 1/12 23:40

Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Those look pretty good. That's the sort if thread design that the Simms (and ithers) studs should have had from day one for the price they charge. It'll be interesting to see if FFing companies adopt this style of screw in stud. However, I'm thinking that the industry is moving towards aluminum bars for traction.

Aluminum is far from the ultimate solution as there are many places where you still need the BITE of a sharp or pointy stud to keep from killing yourself.

Case in point, there are a few places I fish where plain felt is just OK but hairy, rubber is a joke and something as hard as carbide studs are like ice skates. At those places, I've tried taking out my carbide studs and putting in plain old #8 ALUMINUM sheet metal screws.

When I first go out, they grip FANTASTIC when they are new but by the end of the day when they are about worn out, they suck.

Which only goes to prove at this particular creek, the aluminum bars would be worse than carbide because you need the BITE of a sharp, but not carbide stud.

Putting in brand new Cold Cutters each and every time I fish there is another option but again, they are worse than aluminum when they get dull and constantly replacing studs on a multi day trip is a pain.

Bottom line, different options is the only guarantee for not breaking your neck.

Posted on: 1/13 8:39

From Burke VA
I wore the bars on the north branch once....Fifteen minutes later I went back and switched out the soles for the studded rubber. Those bars on round rocks will get you hurt. Nothing grips anywhere near the studded rubber soles by korkers imo. To my knowledge no other boot company offers anything close. Wouldn't wear them in a drift boat though, the carbide tips dig into everything, including my front porch.

Resized Image

Posted on: 1/13 14:32

From Gettysburg
Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
Nothing grips anywhere near the studded rubber soles by korkers imo. To my knowledge no other boot company offers anything close. Wouldn't wear them in a drift boat though, the carbide tips dig into everything, including my front porch.

Agree.

I have long used the Korkers strap-on sandal that fits over boots. They really grip like nothing else.

I spend a lot of time on slimy jetty rocks and in Susquehanna River ledge rock...and I won't go out without carbide cleats. I assume they still make these? Mine have lasted a long time - much longer than the many pairs of wading boots I've worn out over the years. I think these are a good investment (and you can take 'em off before you get in that drift boat).

Posted on: 1/13 18:27

From Burke VA
Yes, they still make them. I haven't tried those because I use the interchangeable soles. If I had a different pair of boots I would be sure to strap some on before fishing the yough, north branch, etc.

Posted on: 1/13 20:10

From North East PA
Thanks to all for the replies and thoughts. I think I will stick with the strap-on studded soles for now.

Posted on: 1/14 9:19

From Williamsport, PA
I'm glad to see others have had negative effects with aluminum cleats! Aluminum forms around objects and is GREAT on rough surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Rough surfaces bite into aluminum. Problem is how many of us fish a stream that has "rough" surfaces? I know I don't unless I'm standing on a bridge pier! The streams I fish the rocks are about as smooth as they get! I was on a large smooth bolder up Loyalsock Creek last year with Simms Alumabite cleats. Right at the edge of the bolder it dropped off over my head. I started sliding right down that bolder like I had ice skates on! I fell down and was able to roll around to grab the top of the bolder before I went in. There was no bite at all with the aluminum. For hard smooth rock I'd much rather have a steel carbide or something hard that will bite into the stone.

Posted on: Yesterday 8:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com