Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Boot Foot Studs

From York
I have a pair of Patagonia strap on aluminum bars. My son got them for me several years ago. I use them if I am wading places that are difficult for me, in unfamiliar water and on the Erie tribs if I’m going to do multiple stream crossings/covering water. Do not need them on my home waters. They are a bit heavy and clunky but for where I fish they grip well. On smooth shale or bowling ball rocks, as Kev says nothing is perfect. I don’t know if this is the best out there but I have a lot more confidence wearing them. I’m sure there are places where they won’t work so well but these are the best for me that I have worn to date. I do try to wade with caution especially in high, cold water trying to stop and evaluate before doing something stupid. I can take a spill no matter what’s on my feet.

Posted on: 1/17 8:02

Re: Boot Foot Studs

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
I don't think there is any perfect stud/thread material. After all, we are walking on wet, round, slimy rocks.

The Simms studs are a joke in regard to how much they cost. I too am a kold kutter convert but only so I can keep my Simms G3's going. They're great boots but the studs almost seem like an afterthought to the design.

With that said, fishermen that I know personally are sold on the aluminum bar design from Patagonia and I trust their evaluation. Like I said, nothing is going to be perfect, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve on the glorified sheet metal screw stud design that is so common.

I had the Simms G3 boots with the lug sole and their screw in stud design was a complete failure for me! I sent my first pair back after a month and a half of use and losing 20+ studs. I started losing studs on my second outing. I installed them exactly how they told me and even used a dab of urethane. I was even using the Simms designed Alumabite cleats and the Hardbite studs. That's a lot of money to be losing. Sent that pair back under warranty and the second pair did the same thing. That pair the rubber sole even started tearing and the red guts part out that I believe the screw in stud is supposed to anchor into. Its just too much torque put on them while walking on the stream beds. I sent that pair back too and now I am using Korkers. I'm hoping they are the answer for me!

Posted on: 1/17 8:55

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com