BlueSky Furled Leaders

jayL

jayL

I picked a few of these up at Cabela's... Some questions/comments:

For me, the end loop for tippet connection has come undone. This has happened to two of them. Now, I can't do a loop to loop connection, but must thread the tippet through 10 tiny loops in varying directions to tie a clinch knot. Has anyone seen this? Any recommendations? They appear to be the only brand of furled leaders that Cabela's carries so I'm going to have to go somewhere else if it's a known problem with them.

Anyone have any good brands? Where do I get them?

Thanks

I've read, but not tried they you should take some 0x and nail knot it to the end of the furled leader. Then about 3 - 4" from the nail knot make a loop for your loop to loop connection. If you try this let us know how it works.

-Chris

Buy new furled leaders from Feathercraft. They have a tiny metal ring instead of a large loop. Just slip the tippet through the ring and tie imporved clinch. I have used these leader for 3 years for 99% of dry fly fishing and about 50% of nymphing. These leaders last forever(???), well mine are 3 years old and still in perfect fishing condition.

Feathercraft has a decent website, but I recommend calling and asking for the company founder, Ed Story. The guy has fished all over the world for many years. I feel like I get real extra value by talking to Ed.

I use the Blue Sky furled leaders. You need to tie an 8" or so extender on the tippet end of the leader so you can then attach whatever tippet material you want. Tie a surgeon's loop on the end of the extender and then loop-to-loop it with the tiny loop on the end of the leader. It's a little tricky but not horrible. Patience!

I have never tried the Feathercraft brand though the notion of the tiny metal ring would make the attachment easier. I would like to see one

I would suggest not tying a clinch knot thru the tiny loop pf the Blue Sky brand. I have seen the clinch knot eventually slice thru the loop. I have tied a nail knot for the extender ignoring the tiny loop and that has worked flawlessly.

These leaders turn over like a dream, are soft and land beautifully, tend not to pick up water or splash on pick up and last forever. I just replace one I used for 3 years because it looked a little frayed. I have one on every reel and spool I own.

Hope that helps.

August,

That's what I do usually, but my problem is that the tippet connection loop at the end of the leader is coming undone... Think a piece of rope splitting and coming untwisted. Perhaps I've mishandled them, not sure.

Never had that happen. A nail knot works very well also. I have a little purist in me that makes me want to use the loop as it was intended. However, I have tied a nail knot for the extender on one where I did have a problem (loop frayed due to use) and it worked like a charm. I suggest that you use an thicker extender than you expect to use for a tippet. For example 3X or 4X if your tippet will be 6X. I used 0X on my 6wt spool.

I think you'll really like the leader. I never looked back. Nymphing too.

Been using my Blue sky for about a year. Use a loop to loop on the tippet end. I always remove the tippet completely by undoing the loop to loop. Do you do this of cut it off? If you cut it off, are you sure you aren't cutting the leader's loop?

Just a thought......

Scotto is right, go to the Feather-Craft website and look at their furled leaders. While preparing for a trip to Idaho I bought one of their leaders for my 5wt. It performed so well that when I got back I promptly bought one for every rod I have. This was four years ago. I've messed-up and had to replace a couple fly lines since then but my original batch of Feather-Craft furled leaders are all still going strong. Like Scotto said they have a tiny silver ring on the tippet end. You just tie your tippet on to that. The ring is so tiny that it floats without a problem. I love them.

Ohio,

If you loop to loop or nail knot an extender, you never have to undo anything. I use a surgeon's knot to tie on the tippet to the extender. Never had one fail.

We need pictures.

I don't use an extender on the furled leader. I tie a surgeons loop in one end of my tippet and loop to loop this with the far end of the furled leader. I tie my fly on the other end or the tippet.

Less tangles for me as a average caster in tight quarters this way.

If he is not using an extender and cutting the tippet off of the far braided loop on the furled leader, he could be damaging that loop.

The feathercraft with the metal loop looks like its the best.....my next furled leader will be that. Any "hinging" with the metal loop?

Make your own from Uni-Thread. It takes all of about 15 minutes (after you make a jig) and costs about .65 in fly tying thread. The thread ones are much better for dry fly fshing than mono ones.

Ohiooutdoorsman, Abbrod may be right but I use the same furled leaders for nymphing (with different tippets) and have no problems. I expected problems with "hinging" when I bought my first Feather-Craft furled leader, that's why I only bought one. I was pleasantly suprised; there is absolutely no hinging. I'd post pictures but I'm internet "challenged" that's why I advise interested people to look at Bob Story's website. His pictures are better than any I could post. Also, if you want to tie your own furled leaders with silver rings you can buy the rings from him.

Cool. Have any of you tried one of the shorter furled leaders, say 3 to 4 feet......how much tippet can they turn over?

They can easily turn turn over 36" to 40" regardless of leader length. I use the FeatherCraft leaders on everything from my 2wt to 9wt. For the higher weights I use the bass leader, it turns over heavy flies at all distances.

I make them call me...

Back