Birch Bark Grips

dsmith1427

dsmith1427

I have a blank to build and I've been reading about birch bark handles. A couple of weeks ago a storm took down part of my birch tree. After turning my bench top drill press the picture below is my first unfishised results.

The ends are made from Cedar.

Don

Attachments

• BirchBark2.jpg
    BirchBark2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 13
Pretty impressive

very unique. what about weight? would that be heavier than cork? good job don.

Thanks. Weight is 1.75 oz. I'm not sure how it compares to cork.

That's excellent!
I've turned a handle or two out of various woods and they are a bit heavier, but I like the custom look.

I don't get it. Birch bark is thin. How do you make a solid handle out of it?

troutbert wrote:

Just like cork you stack the sheets 7" high, glue them and press them. then turn it on a lathe. I am not even a woodworker and I can figure that out.

troutbert wrote:

Just like cork you stack the sheets 7" high, glue them and press them. then turn it on a lathe. I am not even a woodworker and I can figure that out.

So what you are seeing are stacked cross sections of bark.

I used the following website as a guideline:

http://www.eclecticguy.com/2009/04/06/birch-bark-fly-rod-grip/

I don't have a lathe so I converted my drill press into a vertical lathe. The picture below shows the grip in the lathe with tree coats of Tung Oil. The link above used Tru-oil and tung oil. I am only going to use tung oil. The mandrill is a quarter inch threaded rod with a coupling nut super glued to the top. The bottom passes through a radial bearing press fit into a 2 x 6. Also, I used a wood chisel to rough the shape and various grits of sand paper, 40 grit to 330 grit, to finish. I use scotch brite between coats of tung oil. I've enjoyed the project and since I have enough birch bark for another grip, I will probably make another one.

Don

Attachments

• Birch_Bark3.jpg
    Birch_Bark3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3
Back