Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Big Water 5 weight

From Pittsburgh
I was just up on the D recently with a Sage VXP. It handled the wind beautifully. It was fine to cast within 20 and a real pleasure over 30. I will agree with Krayfish though. My technique changed throughout the trip from trying to punch line through the wind, to planning my stalk better to minimize the effects of the wind. In my limited experience, that river can be cruel. I would have liked a different rod for each section we fished, but the VXP really performed admirably. It wasn't as stiff as some of the other Sage rocket launchers, and I was able to accurately cast 50 and 60 feet with ease.

Posted on: 7/16 10:45

From Pittsburgh
I also meant to add that the VXP is on deep discount right now. I guess they are replacing with something new. I picked mine up for under 300.

Posted on: 7/16 10:47

What line do you use on that vxp? I tried gold but it felt dead so I ordered perception. I've only cast it in the yard once and thought it was 'ok'.

In response to the original poster, the elite and helios are fairly different. I think the elite is better in close. Hell, you could get a elite 905-5, a clearwater 4 weight for smaller streams and a new line for less than the cost of the helios. The orvis rod will probably have a better quality finish but fish aren't impressed by perfect epoxy jobs...I've asked them. LOL.

I got DaveS on the elite kick and stimey uses mine when we float together. He loves it. If you look at the 5 weight shootouts, the elite is in the top 3-5 and it's going against big ticket price rods. I let old lefty use it at the LL during newbie jam 2-3 years ago. After tossing s full 125' tournament line, "That rod is nice. What kind is it? Might have to get one of theses."

The cheapest true cannon is the axiom. A 5wt will EASILY handle 6wt line too but it seems too stiff to be effective at short distances. Cast what you can before you buy.

Posted on: 7/16 11:02

Do you find that the Elite can handle some of the long bombs you need to make on the D?

Posted on: 7/16 11:07

No problem. In prior post, I said Dave Rothrock tossed it 125'. Is that long enough? LMAO

Posted on: 7/16 11:40

Hahaha didn't catch that. Reading on phone at work.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 7/16 12:17

Might try to fish towards end of the month. If I do and you're up there....demo day.

Posted on: 7/16 13:11

From Lansdale
kray let me cast his Elite and I am saving for one as we speak. Listen to him.

Posted on: 7/16 15:35

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

krayfish2 wrote:
No problem. In prior post, I said Dave Rothrock tossed it 125'. Is that long enough? LMAO
The problem is Dave can do that with most any rod. He could cast 125 feet of binder twine tied to the end of a broomstick! LOL

Posted on: 7/16 17:07

Keith,

Let me fill a room with 25-40 yr old Russian & Ukrainian women needing a husband. You can go in and talk me up just before I walk in and blow my chance with every one of them. LMAO

Posted on: 7/16 17:07

From Pittsburgh
I currently have the VXP lined with gold. Like you said, it's not the perfect line for that rod, but I think overlining it a whole size wouldn't work either. I would be interested to see how the perception works for you. I was thinking about picking up a GPX line at some point unless you have great results with the perception. I was also contemplating the Orvis Hydros 3D. Let me know what you find out.

Posted on: 7/17 14:48

I would adive you to also try the TFO BVK. I have the 5 wt and it can not only do the distance but the short stuff isn't horrable to cast. The price will allow you to buy a quality reel, a spool and 2 lines for the price of a Helios II.

Posted on: 7/17 16:07

A 6wt it's a much better choice for the system. I use a relatively moderate 6wt (Scott g 906) there with dt6f line.

Posted on: 7/17 20:04

From Clinton County, Pa.
The nearest big water to me is Big Pine Creek. I bought a flyrod years ago just to fish this stream and any other large streams I may encounter. The rod I chose was a G. Loomis 9' 6 weight GL3. I have never had any regret choosing the 6 weight over the same model 5 weight. IMO the 6 weight is a better all-around big water rod.

Posted on: 7/17 21:46

I fish the Delaware system as my home water and fish the sage one 690, Scott radian 5 and believe it or not a winston biiix three weight! All have different applications depending on conditions!

Posted on: 7/17 21:52

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com