Best rotary vice?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

This has surely been discussed before but I'll raise it again; what's the best rotary vice out there? I have a Griffin Mongoose which I'm disappointed in the hook holding ability. I just started spinning deer hair on streamers and the hooks keep moving when I tighten down. The Mongoose I have has the old screw to tighten the jaws and I'm cranking down to the point I can feel the threads about to give. Still have hook movement.

Is the cam version any better? How is the hook holding ability of the Renzeti Traveler? I'm willing to go up to $300 for the right vice.

I like cam jaws -- better hook holding power.

I have the Griffin Oddessy Cam and love it, but for large flies I use my old cheap vise to not ruin the jaws.

I've got a Renzetti Traveler vise and a Dyna-King Trekker.

The Renzetti vise has the screw operated jaws, which I don't like. I'm not having the same problems as you but I just find I have to fiddle too much with the screws when changing hook sizes by much more than 1 size.

About 1 year ago I bought a Dyna-King Trekker vise for around $200. It is great. The jaw is designed with two slots for holding medium and big hooks and the jaw tips taper nicely and holding 28 hooks is no problem. It is so easy to go from a 28 hook to a 4 hook with a simple twist of the cam adjustment cone. This is the vise I use for all tying and the Renzetti I use to carry with me to tie anything streamside.

The only other comment I have between the two is the Renzetti pedestal base is somewhat smaller than the Dyna-King and the bigger base of the Dyna-King is more stable.

http://www.dyna-king.com/flyvise_dtl.asp?itemval=19&pv=0&pid=005

"best" is a relative term...its a matter of preference. The "best" one for me is one that doesn't cost me all my materials cash and gets the job done without hassle. I have a griffin I picked up 12 years ago that I have no problems with.

MKern wrote:
I like cam jaws -- better hook holding power.

I have the Griffin Oddessy Cam and love it, but for large flies I use my old cheap vise to not ruin the jaws.

I noticed Griffin just changed the Mongoose cam model. Wonder if anyone has checked it out?

I believe Dyna_Kings use the standard tapered collet design. Vices I've used with that design have poor mechanical advantage and tremendous wear on the collet and lever. Similar to the HMH which I have used.

Anyone use a peak? I've never used a rotary vise - but was considering trying one - i like what i've read about Peak vises and the price seems good for the quality (minus the nylon screws which can be upgraded - for a cost).

Cuirious if anyone has "real world" experience with one?

I just bought a Peak rotary vise in December and I love it. Great quality and a great price. I got the pedestal model. I have no complaints at all with this vise. It is much better than the $15 Cabela's model I was using for years. Although, I will have to say it has not necessarily improved the quality of my flies yet, but it does make tying that much more enjoyable. The guy I bought it from included the brass screw upgrade with my purchase which I would recommend.

Rob

Sorry not a tyer but my son has both the Mongoose mentioned and a Renzetti Traveler. He liked the Mongoose but after a ton of use it took longer to set the hook in the vise than to tie some of the flies. He travels allot and it's heavy as well. He has the new Renzetti Traveler and they have tightening arms instead of screws now. A much better system and it's light if you need to take it on trips. For the price of baggage on planes, if you travel the Renzetti won't weigh you down and has the performance for high end tying.

Much like anything gear related, "best" is a relative term and you'll also get lots of different opinions.

Although I don't own one, I'd say you can't go wrong with a Renzetti Traveler. I've got the Peak vise and have several months on it now. I'm very happy with my purchase, great quality and a good price.

This thread is worth a read:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5521&forum=5

Also this link:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

for the money the Renzeti Traveler with the cam and pedestal base is the best. everything else is over $200

jaybo41 wrote:
Much like anything gear related, "best" is a relative term and you'll also get lots of different opinions.

I purposely used the word "best" to elicit opinions. I do hear good things about the Renzeti Traveler so I'll have to get to a shop to check it out.

I spent some time looking at the Mongoose design in detail and I believe the hook holding pressure could be improved by about 50% with a minor modification. This could be the difference I want. It does require drilling and taping a new hole. I may give that a try before buying another vice.

Back