Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Best rod weight for fresh & salt water fishing

From Franklin County
Geo,

Recently I too went through the fresh/salt water reel/rod combo situation for steel and striper. I went with the St Croix Reign series 9' 8wt and a Okuma SLV 8/9 reel, $250 buck when all said and down with 2 8wt line (orvis WF for steel and Sci Ang Striper Line-intermediate line) SLV extra spool, and backing. Which was the cheap way from my research. I went that route since I only plan on doing steel/salt maybe 5x a year since I too am located rather far from either fishing opportunity. I have had success with the steelhead portion however when dealing with stripers from a boat, I will have to get back to you since I have a trip planned for the susquehanne flats in the spring. I have read, in terms of saltwater gear, 8wt is sufficent from a boat but may not be enough for surf, but honestly I don't have the experience to tell you otherwise but am looking forward to finding out just as much as you are. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2008/1/9 13:24

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
come on guys a 9 wt. makes you tired, wimps...i used a 12 wt all day at the shore along with my 9's and 10's...
get a 9 to 10 ft. 8wt fast action rod..that being said i dont recommend 1 rod for both of these situations...a 9 would be better for the surf and a 7 for steelies in my book...also get several spools, for sinking , shooting, and overlineing...

Posted on: 2008/1/9 19:06

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Berryville Virginia
Only two circular rods I have; I like the Sage RPLX I fish a 9' 7 wt in the sound and a 10' 9wt on the surf. Both with full and med sinking lines (different grains).

Joe E

Posted on: 2008/1/10 7:41

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com