Best raincoat under $200

Acristickid

Acristickid

I have not looked at purchasing any type gear in forever, no idea what's out there these days.

Looking for a new raincoat soon. What do you think is the best deal for under $200?

Guess ideally it would be a shorty length, drab color and maybe two front pockets. Don't need much more than that.

Thanks

This.

Great design, Goretex Pac-Lite material, guaranteed forever.

Orvis jackets are great. They have one for $98 but it only has one breast pocket.

I have an older version of this one which sells for $198 that I got on sale for about $150. It's a great jacket.

6Y2AM4SF.jpg

Both of those are excellent suggestions gentleman. Thank you.

Orvis Pro Guide jacket? Any thoughts ? See it's marked down to $249 or $239 from $359 at the Orvis store in the south hills Pittsburgh location.

acristickid wrote:
Orvis Pro Guide jacket? Any thoughts ? See it's marked down to $249 or $239 from $359 at the Orvis store in the south hills Pittsburgh location.

I'm sure it's top quality for the price but I don't like the vertical zippers.

BassPro casting jacket $59.95 two colors.

Good suggestions. Thanks

I bought the orvis encounter wading jacket, and am happy with it. Very light and packs easily into my vest. Has kept me dry in heavy downpours.
With a $100 retail price - and I had a $25 off coupon additionally - it seems to be a nice buy IMO

L.L. Bean Gore-Tex Stowaway, Pathfinder, or Trail model. I love all of my LL Bean gear and it can be returned no questions asked if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I’ve got the Bean Paclite H.A. linked to above…got POURED on at Penns at the Jam when that T-storm went through this year and it kept me dry. That being said, the “waterproof” outer chest pockets were not waterproof…they weren’t soaked, but definitely damp inside. The jacket served its main purpose well enough though and I’m happy with it. FWIW.

You can probably achieve similar functionality for less $ by going with a house line product from Cabelas or BPS though. They’re not necessarily “wading jackets”, but check out some of Columbia’s offerings in their Omni-Shield lines…usually good deals to be had on their stuff on Sierra Trading Post. I had a $50 gift card to Bean and splurged, otherwise I probably would have gone one of the more budget routes.

I have a Frogg Togg rain coat that cost $40. It works fine and I like it.

IMO Gore Tex is above all else when it comes to water proofing. They now offer 3 different products that have different levels of breathability and waterproofing. I have also heard good things about Polartec Neoshell products.

That being said I think it would be more important to not limit yourself to a fishing specific brand. (Unless that is what you want)

You can get very good deals on hiking/biking/hunting waterproof jackets that may give you a better bang for your $200.

Check backcountry.com; steepandcheap.com; sierratradingpost.com; moosejaw.com; rei.com

All of these sites will have more general hiking/backpacking/climbing brands that will work for fishing and can sometimes be had for less. And signing up for their email list can give you a one time coupon offer that would sweeten the deal.

Don't know the price but those "oiled English Jackets" are so comfortable they are hard to beat for misty days.

I have the Simms Packable Gore-Tex PacLite jacket I found on ebay for $120. I love this jacket.

Also have the Orvis Encounter jacket I got new and gave it to my brother. Didn't fit right and would only come down so far.

I have the one RCFetter posted in the picture and so far it's been a very nice jacket. It's only seen rain a couple times but It's well thought out with 2 large front pockets, a 3rd pocket for smaller things and the micro fleece lined had warmer pockets work very well. I didn't think they would really warm up my hands after getting wet and cold but they did. I also like the hood, it's not one of those over sized hoods that are just annoying, it fits great and moves with you.

Simms Pac Lite. Cost $0. Someone left it sitting on the chair in front of my motel room last time I went fishing. I left it sit there for 4 days. No claimers or calls for the jacket. Tossed it in the car when I was leaving town. Still doesn't make up for losing my camera though

I have the LL Bean goretex jacket that Heritage Angler posted.Been in driving cold rain and was dry.I use it all seasons and just layer in the winter.The Goretex breathes so you don't get wet under when walking.If your patient it is on sale periodically and I bought mine for $139.Can't beat LL bean warranty!

I have the LL Bean gore tex jacket also I love it keeps me nice and dry

Any $400.00 Patagonia raincoat from last season would be a good $200.00 raincoat this season.

The same goes for next year

Back