Best fly box?

J

Joe

I have a few boxes and styles. I am in the market for a new one. I was wondering your opinions on the best style boxes on the market.
I have several foam insert boxes and I am not a fan. I also have a Meiho box which is well made and very easy to get flies out of. My only issue is the biggest they come are 14 compartments. I was looking at the Wheatley compartment boxes but as much as I like my flies, I am not gonna spend $120 on a box. So whats the best bang for my buck?

Thanks

I love the C&F Boxes for dry flies (doesn't mess up the hackle)and ripple foam double sided boxes for nymphs.

I'm looking for a compartment box for my dries but I haven't found anything big enough yet any sugestions ???

I get the Plano clear compartment boxes. They are cheap. You have a ton of size varieties. And they are very cheap. If you happen to break one...its less than 5 bucks to replace it. The most expensive box I've ever bought was for nymphs an streamers...one that has the foam on both sides...One ripple, one flat. I think it was 7 bucks at cabelas.

Kind of like this Dry fly box for dries

or this Foam box for nymphs and streamers

I'm with Big John. C&F boxes hands down. Not cheap but best for everything from dries to streamers. Who breaks a fly box? Buy one for the right purpose and get organized. You'll never look back and save flies and time.

Most of the boxes I have are the Orvis foam boxes, great for nymphs and terrestrials. A larger one I have has a flat side and ripple for streamers. I like them because they float and I can pick them up at a local fly shop for a reasonable price. For dries, anything with compartments is good, you won't damage the hackle. I've also heard good things about the Scientific Angler's boxes too. The keys for me is which type of fly and does it float.

I've tried just about all of them and for the money the C&F are the ticket...no more sticking the point in the foam, just back the hook in and they stay, plus the offer combo boxes with compartments for smaller flies... I give them four winks ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

i just picked up a Morrell foam flybox at Gander Mtn same material and design as the Orvis,and is now my favorite one.i think i paid $5 for the small one,you cant beat the price and the quality..

Dear Joe,

Get the best of both worlds. By a big Plano lure box to store all of your dry flies in and get a couple of DeWitt boxes to fill for trips to the stream.

They are light in weight, have clear lids and compartments so things are easy to see, come in many styles and sizes, and don't cost an arm and a leg like some common flyboxes do. :lol:

Flyfisher's Paradise carries a full selction of the DeWitt boxes if you can't find them closer to home. 1-814-234-4189

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Another vote for the C&F boxes for dries.
JH

I had no idea what a c&f box was...I just googled it...40 bucks for a fly box...no thanks...

$40 a fly box to save and keep my hackle on my dry flies look like the day I tied them that took me years to tie all of them...its worth it for me. If you care about your flies its worth it in my opinion. Glad to see I'm not the only one on here spending $40 on a fly box.

Thanks all! By reading the posts here I see that there is a niche in the industry for a better box. I would rather spend money on tying material and fishing itself than on $40 fly boxes. I have decided so far, to stay away from foam. I find knowing that my flies are securely in a foam box leaves me open to complacency and they come out and fall into the river when I am not looking. I also like my nymph and wet fishing separated from my dry selection. Also I like minimalist fishing. I like grabbing my rod my vest and my wading staff and running out the door. So 2 boxes, 1 for wets, 1 for dries. I do like a reserve so gonna have to go with Tim on the big Plano, good idea. I have a few of those Morrell foam boxes hands down bang for the buck they are the ticket and if you like foam they last! I have, at last decided to go with 2 Meiho boxes both for function and cost. A smaller box for my wets. A larger 14 compartment for my dries. If I need more room 12 or 13 dollars is easy to ingest.

Here is a link to Meiho boxes: http://www.flyfishusa.com/flyboxes/meiho-boxes.htm

Thanks again
Joe

Hello,

I will throw my two cents ; - ) in on this. You get what you pay for. I have had many different flyboxes at different prices. You will think I am crazy to admit this after reading all these other posts but I just received in the mail yesterday what truly is the "best" flybox for a trout fisherman period. It is a custom made Richardson Chest flybox. I am now emptying out all my flyboxes into this one box. I am through hunting through my vest for the right flybox. Like many I had a bunch of boxes for different reasons.What I thought was smart just ended up to be frustrating when I am on a stream. There is only one box that I plan to keep in addition to this one. It is a C&F midge box with threaders that I use for my Griffiths gnats, Al's rats and the other size 28 to 32 tiny flies I use on the Little Lehigh.

I got the box with all the bells and whistles (floatant holder, light holder, magnifying glass and tippet dispenser). It cost a whopping $350 and the workmanship is impeccable.

I'm not a fan of the chest boxes but I do feel better knowing that someone is spending more then me on fly boxes! Hope you really like your chest box!

I've been considering getting one of these boxes, http://www.anglingdesigns.com/DryTech.asp I haven't seen one in a shop yet, and I am not too keen on buying stuff off the net without seeing one first. Does anyone use one?, or even seen it before?

Or you could just throw one of those little packets of desiccant (that seems to come in every package with everything you buy) and not give up the room in the fly box.

One nice thing about the C&F is the flies stay in, try it sometime..you cannot shake them out....I have a downs chest box instead of the richardson, less money and its a nice green color..I have one of the first made ever, got it about 20 years ago...I keep all my Pine creek stuff in it...

Last year I had a gift card and bought a C&F fly box (#1506 I think). It’s the best box I ever owned. It’s the one with the flip page. The specs say it will hold 564 flies, but you can probably do 300+ comfortably. Who the heck needs that many flies on the stream anyway? I only use that one box now. You can get it for $32 if you look around, maybe cheaper.

My second choice is Bug Luggage. Another very good box.

I probably have a couple dozen fly boxes of all kinds stored in a backpack.. Plus most of them have flies in them. Some day I need to get organized, sort my flies, and I’ll find out I’ll never need another fly for a few years.

When you get down to it, probably any old fly box will do the trick.

John

Back