Best 5wt line for tfo closure

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Just picked up my TFO Clouser. I can't wait to get it setup and on the water. What wf line would match up well?

I don't really believe that there is that much of a difference in the various brands of lines. I would just find whatever brand sparks your interest in your price range. I've used Scientific Anglers, Rio, Airflo, and Orvis. I liked all of them, and probably couldn't tell them apart as far as casting goes.

Check out Risen Fly. One of our board members owns it, and his lines are pretty decent, especially for the price.

I am not too familiar with this rod so I can't recommend a line, but I do think some rods just work better with different lines. For instance a faster rod might need an aggressive taper like SA GPX depending on your casting style. Bob Clouser Jr is the manager at the fly shop in Bass Pro in Harrisburg (i think he still is anyway), I would recommend stopping by or calling in to talk to him. He is very helpful and would love to talk to you about this rod and I'm sure recommend a line.

+ 1 on Ryan's line picked up a 5wt line at the cabin fever show

Thanks for the kind words guys. My lines are very slick and people are loving them. PAFF discount brings them to $15. PM me here or email at risenflyco@yahoo.com if you want to place an order. I have 4wt to 8wt in orange, green and yellow right now. 3wt and 9wt will be in shortly.

If you can find one, get the Rio Clouser. They're discontinued but that is the line that Bob used to design the rods.

The only way to know what line you like on a particular rod is to try casting a bunch of different line using said rod. All shops have a bunch of reels set-up for using on rods they sell, the point is that each line responds differently on any particular rod to your casting. You may get very different results froma line if you don't try it on your rod first.

bass pro does not let you test different lines within the store. and yellow breeches shop doesnt have the greatest inventory but still a decent place to look. They have a nice little casting pad in the back. other than that youll have to drive a decent distance or just buy one and deal with it.

Going to the flyfishing show in Lancaster tomorrow and will talk to the TFO people. I know I am ordering line from the risen fly for 1 reel atleast. ..

Rob,

As a matter of policy we do not typically delete posts that have resolved themselves of the OP question. The input provided by forum members is valuable content for future search results regarding similar questions.

Thanks for posting

Maurice

Back