Bean Double L or TFO

R

rhnam

Sorry for the cross-post folks. Maybe I'll get some more traction here.

So I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this scenario. I’m in the market for a 4 weight. Up until now I’ve been considering a TFO Pro II 8’ 4wt around 150 bucks. I was also considering getting a Ross CLA 1.5, found a deal that includes a cheap line for about $185. Total price ~$335 , maybe $350 if I upgrade the line.

I got an email from LL Bean this morning (huge fan of Bean’s stuff) and found a 8’6” 4wt Double L rod with a Double L reel and a Rio gold line for $280. This, in my mind, is a great deal. Link to LL Bean outfit

So my question is, does anyone have an opinion on the Bean setup vs the TFO-Ross setup? Also, this is my first rod under 9’. Does anyone think there’s a major difference between an 8’ and 8’6” rod?

I’m going to use this to fish mainly dry flys and the occasional small nymph in pocket water and streams that range from 25-30 feet in width all the way up to bushy mountain streams.

Rich

I don't have an opinion, never owned either or even cast them. But if you're looking for an 8 ft. rod why are you considering the 8'6" rod? I'm assuming it's price. But do you want the 8' rod for small stream?

That's correct, the only reason I'm considering it is because of the price. I'm trying to get peoples pros vs cons on a 8' vs 8'6" rod.

I got the LL Bean too and saw the Double L. The rod write-up sounds great but that's just a write-up. Best is to take 1 for a test cast. As for the TFO I have several PRO, Signature, BVK, Finesse, TiCrX and like each 1 very much. My main PA stream rods are the 8'6", 4wt Finesse and 8'6" 3wt PRO. As for the reel, check out Lamson Velocity reels that are on clearence now. for the 4wt I recommend size 2.

Back