Bamboo question

nimrod

nimrod

I got a mailing today form Headwaters Bamboo Rod Company. I've never heard of them. They're offering 40% off if bought by Dec 14th. I'm quasi in the market possibly as a Christmas gift.

Here's the website:

http://headwatersbamboo.com/

It all looks OK but I'd rather rely on feedback from someone with hands-on experience with their product.

I'd appreciate opinions.

nimrod,

Most bamboo folks in the know do not look favorably on these rods. The reasons are varied, but usually come down to the fact they are made in China or on Chinese made blanks that are of poorer quality than can be had from numerous American makers. Of course, those makers typically charge a lot more. In the future they may be good, but like most other Chinese rip-offs, they look about right, but they missed the subtle, but very important details that you'll find on the original American made products.

For my money, I'd educate myself as much as possible (cast as many rods as you can during this process to learn what you like) and then buy a used rod from a reputable builder. Give the Orvis rods a look. New ones are rediculusly priced, but the used ones from the 1980's back to the 1930's are excellent fishing tools that can be had for usually about 1/3 of what a new one costs and I personally think they are a million times better than the new ones being built now. Nice thing about buying a "good" rod by a famous maker is that you can generally get your money back through selling it if you don't like it. Buy a rod like you've posted about and you'll never see your money again if you don't like it.

Go here:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory

If it is a bamboo fly rod or about a bamboo fly rod, you'll either find it through a simple search or someone will answer your questions. Some of the most knowledgable experts on bamboo fly rods in the world frequent this site.

PS...they have a classified section that usually has a lot of rods for sale and you can post that you're looking for such and such and someone will probably sell it to you out of their collection.

SD9 is right on the money!

SD9 is right on the mark. Follow his suggestions and you may become another bamboo addict.
Bill A

Many thanks for the input guys.

Nimrod I'm not sure where you are located but I'm in Bucks County. If you're local, I have a couple of rods I'd be happy to let you try out. Just PM me.

Rolf

If you are looking to wrap a bamboo rod. Look at some of the bamboo forums you should be able to pick up a blank from a US Maker for about the same costs (just keep your eyes open) and know what you want or taper.

Joe E

I always say there are rods made of bamboo and bamboo rods and there is a difference.

If you are seriously considering boo contact Len Codella at www.codella.com. He used to own Thomas and Thomas and knows his stuff and will gladly talk to you and find you a good rod (probably used) that's within what you want to spend.

Rolf wrote:
Nimrod I'm not sure where you are located but I'm in Bucks County. If you're local, I have a couple of rods I'd be happy to let you try out. Just PM me.

Rolf

Nimrod just to clarify this, I'm not trying to sell anything. Only afford you the opportunity to try out a few rods and get a feel for something you might like. What few rods I have, I keep.

Isn't the best bamboo from China? Tonkin Cane?

Nimrod,

My advice is to take Rolf up on his generous offer. He is a true boo guy, and you can learn a lot from him. Also, casting his boo rods will give you some idea about what taper rod you may prefer and what builders to look at to make a purchase.

I'm a "plastic" guy, but I do appreciate a fine boo rod. Choose a boo rod is like selecting a single malt scotch or pipe tobacco blend (Jack!). Try as many as possible and make your choice. If you choose carefully, you will have a rod that will be at your side for a lifetime.

Savor your search...good luck!

Back