Bamboo, quad vs. hex

paragon

paragon

I've recently been thinking about acquiring my first bamboo rod. I've found a lot of info, but I can't seem to find the advantages of quad format vs. hexagonal format. I was wondering if this is purely aesthetic or has anything to do with durability. I'm looking for a rod to actually use. So, durability is a definite concern. I look forward to hearing from you bamboo guys, and I hope to join your ranks soon.

I don't have an opinion ether way, I own a few bamboo rods, all hex and like them all. I'm sure someone with knowledge of bamboo will give you a good answer. But if I were you I'd check out the bamboo forum at classicflyrod.com forum and post your question there.

Among my cane rods is one quad -- they're rather rare; hex is far more common. The supposed advantage to a quad (and I believe it's true) is that they "track" better -- that is, they throw a straighter line, with less side-to-side wobble. Quads are somewhat more complicated to make. (A hex strip is symmetrical, all the angles are the 60 degrees; a quad strip has a 90 degree angle and two 45 degrees angles which necessitates either using an extra set of planing forms or re-adjusting one) The result is that quads can be a bit more expensive. (They're also harder to fit ferrules on.)

Durability isn't an issue in choosing between the two.

hexagonal is, has been, and probably will be the standard design method of bamboo rods, in existence for approx. 150 years.

That should tell you something. And the availability of hex rods is sans parallel.

There's a few makers with pentagonal rods too. Theory is a corner is always opposite a flat, and is superior to even sided rods. Here's a F&S article from 1948...

http://www.highsierrarods.com/fs.html

I have no idea of the validity of this but I know I lusted for a Nat Uslan penta rod many years ago...

salvelinus wrote:
There's a few makers with pentagonal rods too. Theory is a corner is always opposite a flat, and is superior to even sided rods. Here's a F&S article from 1948...

http://www.highsierrarods.com/fs.html

I have no idea of the validity of this but I know I lusted for a Nat Uslan penta rod many years ago...

i read the same - theoretically stronger, but more difficult to make as you have to have the angles absolutely spot on or the opposing forces tear the rod apart.

I don't recall the book but it was about the modern history of bamboo rod making - Tom Morgan, Glenn Brackett etc.

From Sweetgrass website:

Whether your rod has 4, 5 or 6 sides is a decision about which much has been written and about which passions are strong. We would encourage you to conduct your own research into the pros and cons to formulate your own opinion.

That said, here is a general overview.

Hex rods are the most traditional rod and are a good place to begin a collection. The action is smooth and the bamboo fibers do much of the work for you.

Pents offer a bit more reserve power than a hex, and the wraps on our pents are in a garnet color that many find both striking and distinguished.

Quads represent the "power" rod configuration in our line-up. Some say they help one cast a fly in a straighter line, and theoretically, all other conditions being equal, this is likely true. But, the number of variables one must keep equal is immense--wind, fly size, rod length, temperature, etc....so, don't expect that your casting will advance to "expert" level just because you are fishing a quad.

Thanks so much for all the info and resources. I knew I could count on you guys. From what you guys have said, I think I would really enjoy a quad. Does anyone know of anywhere near Pittsburgh that i could go to check a few out? I know there are plenty of online resources for vintage and new rods, but I would love for my first one to be local if at all possible. Thanks again.

I would make a trip to Coburn and visit Jonas @ Feathered Hook. He has plenty in stock and Jim Downes rod shop is right behind the shop.

Interesting stuff. I have many old production vintage rods ins various states or repair. All are technically hex, but one is actually a round rod, but still made with 6 bamboo strips. I don't know the manufacturer but based on what I know about bamboo rods, it's old. I'd say it is pre-1935. It is a fine rid and slow action and I believe 9.5 foot. Maybe 10, can't remember that. One day I will restore it. The others I would rebuild, that one I would restore and use silk line. It would be my go-to rod for bluegill.;-)

I'm hoping JoeE will show up and add his two cents. He has built some hex, but then got into the quads.

I'm thinking they would look funny.;-)

paragon wrote:
Thanks so much for all the info and resources. I knew I could count on you guys. From what you guys have said, I think I would really enjoy a quad. Does anyone know of anywhere near Pittsburgh that i could go to check a few out? I know there are plenty of online resources for vintage and new rods, but I would love for my first one to be local if at all possible. Thanks again.

Tim Zietak is in your area and he specializes in building quads.

email at tzietak@comcast.net or call 412-901-4783

Good Luck!

Rolf wrote:
paragon wrote:

Tim Zietak is in your area and he specializes in building quads.

email at tzietak@comcast.net or call 412-901-4783

Good Luck!

Also if you search around, Tim's rods (trout sized quads) often show up on most of the "usual" bamboo dealers' lists at very fair prices. His work is well thought of.

I'll third getting in touch with Tim Z., he makes a great rod. I have one of his quads in my quiver, 7'6"/4wt, that's been my goto stick so far this spring, fun rod to fish. He also has ferruled blanks for sale now and then if you wanna go that route.

And I'll also second the suggestion to visit the Feathered Hook in Coburn if you're in the market and not quite sure what you're looking for.

Thanks again for all the info. After searching for images of Tim Zietak's rods, I decided to shoot him an email. They look incredible, and I really hope to fish one in the near future.

Back