Backpacking Rod

Swattie87

Swattie87

Right now all of my rods are two piece rods. Considering looking into a 4 (or more) piece "backpacking rod" for all day hikes where I'm doing more hiking than fishing, or for overnight backcountry camping/hiking/fishing trips. For day trips where I'm on or near the stream, and fishing all day I generally don't tear down my rod at all until the end of the day, so a two piece works fine in those cases. Basically I'm considering the 4(+) piece rod for its convenience in situations where it's being carried (in its tube) for a greater percentrage of the time than it's actually strung up and being fished.

Probably looking for something in the 6'6-7'0 3-4wt range, that will likely be overlined a line weight or two. $200 would be the top end of what I'd consider spending. Have plenty of reels and lines that fit the bill, rod only purchase.

Just looking for general discussion on the topic...brands and models are fine (have looked at all the major brands lineups but haven't casted anything yet), but more basically just things to consider, pros/cons, real "on the hike/stream" experiences.

Thanks gang.

Sounds like you should check out IMO the ultimate backpacking rod, a Tenkara.

matt
I just picked up a 4 pc 7'6 redington voyant in 3 wt. Love it. and it packs down real easy. comes with a nice hard tube also that you could strap to your backpack real easy. Love it.

you already have a pursuit. check out the 4 pc 7'6 rod. it comes with a tube also.

I know they are slightly longer than what you suggested but that extra length sometimes helps. plus its not really an overkill in size.

WildTigerTrout wrote:

yes, the 3-4 ounces of reel and line weight might really be the straw that borked the camel's back.

also, its so very simple i'm told. simple and zen warrior like. if you carry "western" fly rods you are required to carry so many flies, but iwth tenkarra you can only one fly and you can really simplify things down to what matters.

and those really cool nets!

gfen wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

yes, the 3-4 ounces of reel and line weight might really be the straw that borked the camel's back.

also, its so very simple i'm told. simple and zen warrior like. if you carry "western" fly rods you are required to carry so many flies, but iwth tenkarra you can only one fly and you can really simplify things down to what matters.

and those really cool nets!
I fish the same flies with my tenkara that I fish with my other flyrods. I think it's great for backpacking because it telescopes down to about 20 inches total length. My 12 footer is very light and only weighs 2.7 oz. The rod tubes are very nice and offer excellent protection. I do not care for the nets though!

Yeah, Tenkara's probably not the route I'm gonna go. I know Tenkara guys fish them effectively in small, tight, brushy streams, but I like my short rods for that purpose.

Most of the fishing this rod will see will probably be small Brookie runs, but at the same time this rod will need to be a bit of a cover-all...just in the event I fish something slightly larger on a backpacking trip.

I like my Brookie rods around 6'6 - 7'0, but maybe something in the 7'6 range would be a better middle ground for this rod, since it will be the only "packable" rod in my lineup.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Redingtons Josh...They have several 7'6 4 piece 3 or 4 weights across their lineups and I really like Redingtons...they'll definitely be in the mix.

I have a Redington Wayfarer (WFR 7035); 7 foot, 3WT, five pieces (well six actually). Its no longer made and its in six pieces because I broke the tip a year ago, but it was a nice backpacking rod. I need to send it in for replacement. The model that is currently available is the Redington Wayfarer 6, which is what I believe they said they'd be replacing it with.

Update on that: I contacted customer service over a year ago; it looks like the Wayfarer 6 is discontinued now too :-( I hope they have some old stock available to replace with.. It doesn't appear that they offer anything more than 4 pieces setups now.

My current backpacking rod is a March Brown Hidden Waters HW 663-7; 6.5 ft, 3WT, seven pieces. Packs up nice and small.

Having fished both for the past five years or so, my preference would be something just a tad longer and heavier - maybe a 7.5ft 4WT. That would give a tiny edge on mixed brookie/brownie water, where you might get into a 15" fish, plus I'm just not all that good with tossing bigger bugs on smaller rods..

Both rods came from Sierra Trading Post, back in the day when I was building a gear collection :)

I have a Tenkara rod as well, and while I enjoy fishing it, I prefer a western setup for backpacking.

cabelas does make a stowaway 6 i believe. might check that one out also since you are not far away

The rods that I have that would fit are:

7' 9" 4 piece 3wt St. Croix Avid A793.4.

You may be able to find this rod close to your price range. (It was when I bought it)

6' 3" 3 piece 4wt based on the Paul Young midge.

7' 0" 3 piece 4wt based on the Clifford Constable 6' 9" 4wt.

You will not find a these in side your price range, but you could build one for close to that in materials.

If you are looking for a short rod, I'd say a nice 3 piece does the job quite well, Though I seldom take my rod in a case, I have at times and the 3 piece is fine.

i have always been a 2pc kinda guy as well. my first 4pc should be at the house tomorrow! 4pc only because the rod i wanted was easier to come by in a 4pc than a 2.

salmonoid wrote:

Having fished both for the past five years or so, my preference would be something just a tad longer and heavier - maybe a 7.5ft 4WT. That would give a tiny edge on mixed brookie/brownie water, where you might get into a 15" fish, plus I'm just not all that good with tossing bigger bugs on smaller rods.

A 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, is a good choice for mountain stream fishing. It gives you a lot of versatility.

Dear swattie,

I've never seen one but I've noticed in their catalog that LL Bean has series of 4 piece rods called the Pocket Water series.

They range from a 6' 6" 3 weight to a 7' 10" 5 weight, come with a tube and rod sock, and range in price from $ 195.00 to $ 210.00.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back