Awesome wading boots - Patagonia Foot Tractor

MathFish

MathFish

So I found a deal on the Patagonia Foot Tractor wading boots at Bob Marriott’s Fly Fishing store online, they were marked down to $154 from $279. I read some reviews and they all seemed overall very positive about the traction that these boots offer. Being that Christmas is coming soon and that I can’t foresee me losing interest in fly fishing for the remainder of my life, I decided to give these a go and ordered a pair. (Note, the only sizes priced this way are the size 13 and size 8’s...)

I took a trip yesterday to Meadow Run and used these boots for the first time. In my experience, I have found Meadow to be quite slippery and because of this, I have only worn felt boots there. I do have a pair of Vibram rubber soles boots with Chota Long Rifle cleats that I only use in creeks that don’t have too many algae covered rocks like the DHALO section of Loyalhanna creek. I have tried these Vibram soles in other places with slippery stones and have gone back to felt because in my experience, I found that felt has gripped way better and I’m not particularly fond of falling...

Up until yesterday, I thought felt was probably the best traction available for wading.... I can honestly say that those Foot Tractor boots gripped like nothing I have experienced before! The only thing that I stepped on that seemed like I could slip on were wet logs, but that was only if I didn’t situate my foot just right before I put my weight down, otherwise I didn’t slip. It was unreal how planted I felt when I was fishing yesterday! I am impressed with these boots. It actually took some getting used to, to have such grip while I was wading. It felt kind of weird to not be able to just slide your foot a little bit to move. I found that I had to be a little more deliberate as I waded, because of my sure-footed-ness.

One downside of the design that I found, is that they do make noise as you walk on rocks. They kind of sound like tap shoes a little... So I can’t foresee me wearing these while doing any sort of small stream brookie fishing because they would simply make too much noise. But when the flow is up like it was yesterday, this didn’t seem to make much of a difference.

Another big downside is the price, I don’t think I would have bought these if they weren’t marked down like they were.

Some of the reviews of these boots noted that they are too roomy inside the boot. I did have to pull the laces much tighter than I normally do on my other boots, but I personally didn’t find it to be a big deal.

The last thing that is different about these in comparison with my other boots is that they are pretty heavy. I thought that the extra weight might have been an issue, but once I started walking, l didn’t really notice the extra weight and I probably hiked about a mile and a half in them yesterday.

I figured I would share my experience with these in case anyone on this site was considering these. I do realize that I only used them once, so I can’t attest to any long term durability, but the construction of these seem very solid. But the reason I am posting this is because how blown away I am with the traction these boots have! It’s unreal!

You must have very small - or very large - feet.

I've been looking the last few months to see if someone discounts these boots.
Best deal I can find is 20% off - which still puts them over $200.
Not enough to make me spring just yet

I got the 13’s, I normally wear a 12, but given the deal, I figured I would try the 13’s. With an extra pair of socks, they fit pretty well...

I went out today and found another shortcoming. On wet wooden planks, they do not grip at all... I kind of felt like I was on ice. But they were still great in the stream today.

If I come across any deals on them, I’ll be sure to post it for you or I could shoot you a PM.

Slide Inn has them on sale with most sizes. https://www.slideinn.com/product/patagonia-foot-tractor-wading-boot/

I need size 11 or 12
slideinn has nothing between 8 and 13 now.

guess I'll keep looking
only a few places seem to be discounting them

By the way, these are the absolute best boots for traction out there. I would expect more places will be putting them on sale when the new Patagonia/Danner boot is released, which I head will be this Spring

Thanks for the info. Looking for new boots. I have always worn Korkers and really like them but have taken a couple tumbles in Meadow with the felt soles. How was the water level? Catch any trout?

I’m happy to share my experience with these boots. I’ve got a lot of good information from this site and I am happy to be able to add some information myself in the hopes that I will be able to “pay it back” for how helpful this place has been in helping me be a better fly fisherman.

I got four hits and only managed to bring one in, but it was a nice one, it really fought well and put on quite the show by jumping out of the water about 3 times! It actually kind of looked like a steelhead...

But since the flow was higher than I like it there, I opted to leave earlier than I had planned to and headed over to Dunbar. I ended up catching about 15 there (all brookies and one rainbow - which kinda surprised me...)

The flow at Dunbar was up but it was really good and the water didn’t really have any turbidity, so I got lucky making that move to fish there.

I just found some on ebay selling for $179.
And bought a pair
Size 12, which is what I've been getting my wading boots in lately.

Although I seem to recall reading somewhere that their design is pretty roomy. I'll find out soon.
I didn't want to get size 11, and have them too tight.
Better off a little too large than too small IMO

I wear a size 8.5-9 street shoe and the size 9 in this boot fits me fine.

I bought Patagonia ultralight wading boots a few years back - size 12
And they fit me perfect - allowing room for a thick sock

Received my new foot tractors, and tried them on with waders.
They're certainly not too big. Nice comfy fit with a thick sock.
Very comfortable to walk in - although I likely won't get them on the stream until spring

I hope those work out for you like mine do for me. I also wanted to add that I read that you should get the aluminum scuffed up before wearing them to the stream on your first time out. To get mine scuffed up, I wore them for a walk on my street trying to walk on cracked spots and uneven places. It did scuff them up and it only took a few minutes.

I think i am going to get a pair of these boots. Anyone know of any current sales anywhere? Any fly shops in SE Pa carry these?

Dry fly guy, size wize, what size shoe do you normally wear vs the boot size?

I wear shoe size 11.
But have been getting wading boots in size 12 for quite awhile now.
As stated before, that leaves a little extra room for a thick sock.

And, I've found that after a year or two of use, wading boots usually seem to shrink a bit

Thanks dryflyguy, i too wear a street shoe size 11. Found the boots on sale for 209 and they have the size 12, thinking about buying them.

Anyone know of a store in SE PA that carries these? I had no luck finding a pair

Madison River Fishing Company has them on sale for $190. I’ve ordered from this site a couple of times and have had a good experience.
mrfc.com

I've also bought some stuff from mrfc. And agree that they're a top notch company.
Once bought a rod from them that I didn't really like after casting it.
And returned it for a full refund - no problem

I saw that the new Danner foot tractors will have a $500 price tag.
These older styles are looking more and more like a good buy IMO

don't knock Danner boots they are one of the best out there Ive regularly have gotten years out of their work boots over the years.

Back