Attention Medalist Owners

Rolf

Rolf

In case anyone is interested, it looks like One -Pfoot is back in business. FWIW, I have no dog in this hunt. Mods if this is not the correct place for this, please move it.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=63920&view=unread&sid=0a0b532ddddc4841ec2594a718f19cf8#unread

It also looks like Bob Selb is handling the parts....

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/M_PARTS.html

Very cool. Glad someone kept this going, the parts are a little pricey but it's great to know they are available.

PennKev wrote:
Very cool. Glad someone kept this going, the parts are a little pricey but it's great to know they are available.

I shrug at sinking a hundred bucks into a reel that cost me 15 at the flea market, but damn, they turn out so cool! might just have to pimp one out one of these days.

bikerfish wrote:

I shrug at sinking a hundred bucks into a reel that cost me 15 at the flea market, but damn, they turn out so cool! might just have to pimp one out one of these days.

I agree but if I ever crack a latch plate or handle, I know I can fix it up for about the same price as another vintage medalist and would save an otherwise functional reel.

As far as pimping out a reel, it'd have to be an immaculate condition reel to begin with as I don't see the point of putting all that gorgeous hardware on a reel thats beat up.

Kev

I have a mint unused 1494 that is screaming for bling!

I have a broken reel foot on a 1494A that I'd like to get repaired, but the reel foot here costs more than I spent on the reel!

PennKev wrote:
As far as pimping out a reel, it'd have to be an immaculate condition reel to begin with as I don't see the point of putting all that gorgeous hardware on a reel thats beat up.

Because the one in immaculate shape is worth more without the crap stuck on it?

Its a shame the pricing model supports a $30 steel drag plate, but that's probably what that guy churns out more than anything else.

I haven't used this outfit myself but have seen it mentioned on another board. Appears to be the old parts inventory from the AK models which very often work just fine on the U.S. made models.

ereplacement parts Medalist 1494

For other models or brands browse as needed.

Perfect. That website has the part I need for $4.95. Thank you!

gfen wrote:
Because the one in immaculate shape is worth more without the crap stuck on it?

Its a shame the pricing model supports a $30 steel drag plate, but that's probably what that guy churns out more than anything else.

Not neccessarily. You can still get made in the USA medalists for $40 or less on ebay. They just aren't the older versions. These newer ones are the ones you can pimp out with a metal latch cover, metal drag knob, etc and you'd end up with something very close to what the more classic versions of the medalists consist of.

Medalists are still pretty desirable for the cane and fiberglass crowd. They scream classic, and good condition American made Medalists are easy to find at affordable prices. As for upgrading the parts, if you've already thrown several hundred (or over $1K in some cases) into a cane rod or high end glass, why not put some money into reel. Once you are spending that kind of money it is all about asthetics anyway.

Kev

P.s. If I could find an affordable, true, two-sided drag plate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Back