Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Armor All

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I read that Armor All is an effective line cleaner/protector. I've tried it, and it lubricates the line very nicely. Even better, a container of 25 convenient wipes costs about $4.00, compared with $16 for one ounce of orvis zip juice.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 12:35

Re: Armor All
From Monessen, PA
How long have you been using it? I'd be afraid that it might have some negative effect on the line. I try to keep my lines away from chemicals that are not specifically sold for that purpose. Because of people like me, they can charge a lot, I guess.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 14:24

From Chester County
I recommend that you DON’T USE ARMORALL TO CLEAN / DRESS FLY LINES. I used it a while back on several of my lines. On some it worked fine, while one brand new line began cracking after a few weeks, another one became soft and sticky and was unusable. Some people still use it, but I believe that different fly lines use different chemical compounds in their products. Armorall breaks down some fly lines. It’s like playing Russian roulette with your $60 line.

I’ve been using Zipcast. I find it easy to use and keeps my line clean and slick. I would use any commercial fly line cleaner before Armorall.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:03

From Southeast PA
I've heard that it can gunk up your line over time, so I never tried it. But maybe that's just a rumor put out there by the guys who sell the $16 stuff. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used it for long enough to see if there are any problems with it.

P.S. Thanks, afishinado. You answered my question before I asked it!

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:07

From Berryville Virginia
I use armor all when the line gets really dirty then dress the line with fly cleaner/protector.

Joe E

Posted on: 2007/2/16 11:04

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I use the $16 Orvis stuff on my dashboard and upholstery. It does a nice job...

Posted on: 2007/2/17 13:36

From Blair County
NO NEED FOR ANY EXPENSIVE CLEANER..SOAP AND WATER MY FRIEND.........SOAP IT UP ,,,,,, THEN LET SIT IN A BUCKET . PULL THROUGH A CLOTH... LET SIT IN CLEAN WATER , RUN THROUGH A DRY CLOTH , AND PRESTO DONE .... ALL LINE CLEANER AND SLICKY STUFF DOES IS ATRACT UNWANTED DIRT ....

Posted on: 2007/2/19 22:19

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
ranger keen hit it on the nose.....Only thng i can add is use ivory bar soap, Biodedradable and won't hurt the envioment....DO NOT USE DEGERGENT !!!.......

Posted on: 2007/3/7 7:48

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Gettysburg
I like Armor All for treating rubber hip boots - keeps the rubber suple and I think extends the life of a pair of boots for a season.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 8:45

FWIW, A fly shop employee told me NOT to use armor all on my lines. He said that years ago it was ok but they changed their formula and it will now damage your line over time. He wasn't trying to sell me line dressing either. He too recommended Ivory soap.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 9:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com