Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Anyone Use(d) Furled Leaders?

For any presentation high in the water column (dries mostly), I prefer a furled leader to any other approach.

For tight line subsurface streamer fishing, I like a short, ex. fast sinking poly leader.

And for the rare occasion I'm reduced to dredging a nymph, I like an extruded fluoro knotless leader.

The furled falls victim quickly to drag in varied currents, but if you can keep it in the top 6" of water, you're usually okay for a fishable drift. And it's the nicest type of leader I've ever encountered from a strictly casting perspective.

Posted on: 8/20 8:26

From glen rock, pa
Only use them for dry flies love them

Posted on: 8/20 9:15

From Media Pa
Our guides in Montana told us to lose the furled leaders for dry fly fishing and use them soley for nymphing. I think they were correct as it is hard to mend a leader that sinks.

Posted on: 8/20 9:45

From Harrisburg PA
I treat my Feathercraft mon furled leaders with "watershed" each winter to keep them floating. The leader on my 4 wt, most often used, is 5 years old and going strong.

Posted on: 8/20 9:59

From Lancaster, PA
Interesting thread as I just purchased a furled leader recently after a friend of mine encouraged me to try them out. I have to say that so far I vastly prefer it over a tapered mono leader. The issue of memory, etc. is an incredible PITA for me with mono leaders.

I've found the furled leader I'm using to be vastly superior for casting, especially in small tight spaces where I like to fish. The leader I got was made by Cutthroat Leaders (who I see advertise here); I got the 50" dry fly version with a tippet ring. I've been using it on my 7' 6" and 6' 6" 3WT Orvis Superfine Touch rods for tossing dry flies for the last two weeks.

I immediately impregnated my leader with Orvis leader/tippet paste floatant and since then I've reapplied it twice just to make sure its stays "floaty." That said, the leader floats very well. I attach about 3-4 feet of tippet to it and that works very well. Longer than that gets tricky to present correctly. I've had no trouble with sinking and it lays out so well that I've been able to cast into glassy still pools and get skittish brookies to rise.

On top of that, I can already see it will last much longer than a tapered leader. This summer I've fished a lot--typically 2-3x a week for a total of 10-15 hours a week on the streams. My tapered leaders have generally only lasted for a few weeks before there were so many knots in them from me losing tippet and then reattaching it that I would replace it. Getting your fly caught on something in a small stream is common, and the repeated twisting of the tapered leaders tended to wear them out quickly. Given that the furled leader was only $12, it will save me some real money over the course of a year.

I haven't tried one for nymphing yet, but I intend to. I do see the potential for issues with drag in the water when nymphing.

Jeff

Posted on: 8/20 16:23

From Clearfield
I use a furled leader on two small stream rods (6'6" 4 wgt and 7' 4 wgt). They do cast nicely and turn over easily. I haven't had any issues with them sinking but my drifts are relatively short and usually in broken water.

I like them and will continue to use the ones I have but I don't know if I will buy more or not.

Just to point out the obvious you can attach a tippet ring to any mono or flouro leader and get the same "leader saving" quality that has been mentioned. Also, leaders with memory can be stretched back to normal quite easily.

Posted on: 8/20 19:24

From Lancaster, PA
Quote:

tyeager wrote:
I use a furled leader on two small stream rods (6'6" 4 wgt and 7' 4 wgt). They do cast nicely and turn over easily. I haven't had any issues with them sinking but my drifts are relatively short and usually in broken water.

I like them and will continue to use the ones I have but I don't know if I will buy more or not.

Just to point out the obvious you can attach a tippet ring to any mono or flouro leader and get the same "leader saving" quality that has been mentioned. Also, leaders with memory can be stretched back to normal quite easily.

On the tippet ring issue, that's true in part, but I still find that the mono and fluoro leaders break far more easily, and at some point you've got just a short section of thick filament to deal with, or you knot progressive sections of tippet to step it down. Just not my cup of tea.

Yes, you can stretch it out, but that's a pain in the a$$, and you have to do it fairly often. In addition, I've found that when I'm out fishing for any extended period of time the cold water makes the line return to its coiled shape, especially up at the butt end, which results in annoying tangles around the tip of my rod.

Of course, it could be that most people don't mind the memory issue or the stretching, but it drives me batty. :D In the end it was this frustration that led me to try out the furled leaders.

Jeff

Posted on: 8/20 20:28

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Our guides in Montana told us to lose the furled leaders for dry fly fishing and use them soley for nymphing. I think they were correct as it is hard to mend a leader that sinks.

It sounds like your guides didn't know much about furled leaders.

A properly dressed furled leader will float with little further trouble. A long day on the water might require a second application of floatant. Mucilin works works better than anything IMO.

As for nymphing I wouldn't use them if fishing more than and a foot or two below the surface because even if undressed and sinking, furled leaders have a lot more water resistance than mono. They don't sink as quickly and do some funky stuff that can ruin your presentation when submergered. I'm not a fan of the common solution of adding a 6ft tippet ( or some other stupid length) to the leader so that you can get your fly down. Why even have the furled leader if you do something like that? Its pretty much forcing square pegs into round holes at that point.

However they are great for fishing emergers high in the water column, but again useless for deep nymphing IMO.

Kev

Posted on: 8/20 22:03

From SE Pa
I use the mucilin green as well and have zero problems with sinking. In fact it never sinks.

Stags I started fly fishing, fly tying, and leader furling all in the same week. I wasted so much of my life not fly fishing that I have some serious catching up to do.

Posted on: 8/21 0:12

From West Chester PA
Yes, Stagger Lee, just like Pearly Baker's been true to WR's dying day's end as was Delia DeLyon true to Billy.

Posted on: 8/21 7:37

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:

It sounds like your guides didn't know much about furled leaders.

A properly dressed furled leader will float with little further trouble. A long day on the water might require a second application of floatant. Mucilin works works better than anything IMO.

As for nymphing I wouldn't use them if fishing more than and a foot or two below the surface because even if undressed and sinking, furled leaders have a lot more water resistance than mono. They don't sink as quickly and do some funky stuff that can ruin your presentation when submergered. I'm not a fan of the common solution of adding a 6ft tippet ( or some other stupid length) to the leader so that you can get your fly down. Why even have the furled leader if you do something like that? Its pretty much forcing square pegs into round holes at that point.

However they are great for fishing emergers high in the water column, but again useless for deep nymphing IMO.

Kev

One of the purposes of a furled leader is to be more flexible with little to no memory to cast more accurately. I agree I wouldn't use a nymphing furled leader for dredging, but if you have around a 4ft nymphing furled leader and added 3-5 feet of tippet from there (even tapered), then it can serve it's purpose rather than using any form of mono.

Posted on: 8/22 12:13

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Alnitak wrote;
Quote:
Yes, you can stretch it out, but that's a pain in the a$$, and you have to do it fairly often. In addition, I've found that when I'm out fishing for any extended period of time the cold water makes the line return to its coiled shape, especially up at the butt end, which results in annoying tangles around the tip of my rod.

don't you stretch your line before casting ? or don't you mind the coils in line ?

Posted on: 8/22 13:53

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

I fish with silk lines most of the time and use silk tapered leaders. When fishing plastic, its a ferruled leader. Turnovers are a breeze...

Posted on: 8/22 15:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com