HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Any idea on manufacturer?

From Pgh
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
It is a nice alloy, with some attractive properties, and I work with it and similar alloys all the time.

pc, you may be onto something here.... hmmmm, "nice alloy"

Copy should have read,

"In instances where stainless is more appropriate, we chose a “nice alloy” like 17-4 PH rather than the typical, far "meaner alloys" 302 or 303 found in other reels."

As usual, pc, your knowledge is quite impressive (and entertaining!)

Posted on: 2013/10/9 14:56

From Landenberg, PA
Redington also offers a guarantee - based in WA, which is in the Northwest, unlike Orvis which is based in VT which is in the Northeast...

that's according to my 9th Grade Geography. which I failed but still..:o)

Posted on: 2013/10/9 17:29

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
"In instances where stainless is more appropriate, we chose a “nice alloy” like 17-4 PH rather than the typical, far "meaner alloys" 302 or 303 found in other reels."

Well, truth and marketing are natural opposites.

17-4 is MUCH higher strength than your austenitic stainless's like 304 and 316.

But the big advantage is that you can get that strength in a machinable, formable, fashion. It's an age-hardenable alloy. You can overage it to a fairly soft form, and do any forming in that condition. Then austenitize and quench, and it's still only medium hardness, and you can machine it quite well without tearing up your tools. Then with a one step, fairly low temperature treatment, you can make your finished part really strong and hard.

So if marketers were honest, they'd say something like "we used 17-4 because it's cheaper than 304L, and we can manufacture it more cheaply as well. This translates to a better price for you. Despite the cost, it offers far better strength and hardness than 304L, meaning it'll polish up nicely and resist scratching. The trade-off is worse corrosion resistance, but it's still a stainless and won't rust in freshwater or if properly rinsed after being exposed to saltwater. And if we like to deal with it, well, that means we want to convince you that you like it too!"

And I'll even allow the typical marketing type substitutions. Such as:

Worse than = approaching that of
cheaper than = we can offer to you for a more affordable price

I just go on a rant when it goes beyond this stuff, and into the realm of "wrong".

Posted on: 2013/10/10 11:11

Edited by pcray1231 on 2013/10/10 11:26:22

From Pgh
I hear you pc
I admire your passion for technical accuracy, you are a true scientist. And you are right, science and marketing are ALWAYS at odds. Unfortunately, I deal with it every day. Although, I personally go to great lengths to be accurate while maintaining a certain degree of promotion and salesmanship. It ain't easy. Especially in the world of business-to-business marketing for large conglomerate companies with many layers of approval -- technical, legal, executive as well as marketing departments. And when you try to be creative... it can be crushing.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 9:25

From SEPA

So now that you two have ruined this thread with crap no one cares about, to answer the original question:

There are several small name manufacturers of rods out there there that you don't know about because they're not the top tier makers who buy advertising.

I would suggest there's any number of manufacturers out there that would do this, specifically because the advertising copy says, "hand crafted in the USA" but doesn't specifically mention the source of the parts, leaving it very easy for a small scale company to assemble rods built on Asian sourced blanks.

Fly fishing still supports a cottage industry, from one made operations that make a rod at a time ("custom rod builders") to little shops that can operate at a level to produce small runs of product that could sell on a bigger scale (like the old Diamondback before Cortland bought them, or Versitex).

Posted on: 2013/10/11 11:09

From Pgh
Quote:

gfen wrote:
There are several small name manufacturers of rods out there there that you don't know about because they're not the top tier makers who buy advertising.

No way dude. Cabelas is a freakin' monster. Their potential scale of sales and production would overwhelm true "small manufacturers" If Cabelas is into this -- especially at that price point -- they're into it for the $. Scale of production is a huge part of that equation. I suspect "small manufacturer" is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Small is relative. Sage and all its subs (including Redington) could be considered small, but considering the production resources they deliver, my guess is them.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 19:58

From Pgh
Just saw this online. Yeah. They're promoting this line big time.
No way a would they use a truly "small manufacturer"...

Attach file:

png  Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 8.12.16 PM.png (117.77 KB)
1677_525894fd59ea1.png 302X256 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 20:17

From Dauphin PA
Could be Redington but most of their rods are made overseas. How about Rajeff Sports (Echo)? A year or so back, St Croix was making one of the models for Cabelas but it also said that right in the rod description.

Bass,

PM or give me a ring. I have a guy you should talk to that really knows his stuff on fly rods. His shop has built over 15,000 rods. He's built 3 rods for me and is in the process of building a VXP custom for me. Tossed Spicoli's around and the Catskill Jam and liked it so I traded 2 rods I don't use for a new build.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 9:42

From Jefferson Twp
I need some clarification. When MADE IN USA is promoted does that mean the blank too? I can't help but think some stretch the language when they really mean ASSEMBLED IN USA. What do you think?

Posted on: 2013/10/18 11:18

From SEPA
"hand crafted in the USA" indicates to me its assembled from offshored parts.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 13:54

From Central PA
which rods land more fish? usa or overseas?

Posted on: 2013/10/19 22:37

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Mexican rods land more come complete with treble attached to rod tip

Posted on: 2013/10/21 7:56

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Jefferson Twp
Just came back from visiting Cabela's with a friend who wanted to buy stuff. While there, I looked at the new rods & asked who makes them. They said Lewis River Rod Co - http://www.lewisriverrods.com/

They are new & looking for OEM business.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 19:30

From Dauphin PA
Hope their work is more impressive than their website.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 7:41

I ended up seeing these rods in person in Hamburg this past weekend. I did like the nice spacer and uplocking ring, but the rods felt kind of mushy in the wiggle test. There is also a weird looking aluminum winding check at the top of the cork that does not blend well. I know looks don't equal performance but first impressions of the rod are kind of haphazardly put together. Nice try at department store high end, but the mtx and even the lsi models blows these away.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 21:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com