Any Experience with Risen Fly ITB rod and Ichthus reel combo?

N

nomad_archer

Does anyone have any experience with Risen Fly ITB rod and Ichthus reel combo? I am thinking about getting an 8wt for bass and larger warm water species and the combo price is very attractive. I like the idea of buying from a PA company but I just dont want to end up with a dud. At the same time I have only used my 4wt orvis clearwater which is nice but if I can get a good rod for similar prices from a small local company I would much rather go that way.

I guess what I am asking for is any kind of feedback on the rod/reel or even there line's, I feel it would be helpful for me to make my decision.

Thanks,
Nomad

I have it in a 5 wt, I like it. I'd probably classify it as a medium action rod, my Greys streamflex is faster. The ITB is a little slower action, it casts well, price is good and Ryan offers a PAFF member discount

pro4mance wrote:
I have it in a 5 wt, I like it. I'd probably classify it as a medium action rod, my Greys streamflex is faster. The ITB is a little slower action, it casts well, price is good and Ryan offers a PAFF member discount

Thanks the discount and price caught my attention. I was looking for an 8wt. I havnt fished enough to fly rods to tell the difference between fast/medium etc to know what I like. Sounds like with the price it may be worth giving it a shot. Heck if I like it I may have to buy another.

Ryan is a good guy and has been a member since before he started that business.

I don't have one of his rods. Test casted one at a jam once. Wasn't impressed, but then again, rods are one of those personal things where two anglers can have totally opposite opinions on and neither are wrong. For instance, I've yet to meet an Orvis rod I actually like. I've got nothing against the company, it's just something about their taper design doesn't jive with me. So my not loving a Risen Fly rod shouldn't be taken as an attack on it. Try it and decide for yourself.

I do have one of his reels and love it. Large arbor. Smooth. Good smooth drag with good adjustment with stopping power. Been maintenance free. Quiet. What's not to like? It's a great reel.

I also have a line of his on my Brookie rod. The 2 color one (Rio Gold lookalike). And no complaints. I haven't exactly put it through the ringer so far, it's still relatively new, but it's done what a good line is supposed to do so far. At a good price.

Most of their stuff is of moderate quality, very usable, and priced well compared to similar quality stuff.

Thanks for the honest feedback Pat. I always appreciate it.

Nomad - the action on a rod reflects how much it bends. The ITB rod has more of a moderate action than other rods out there. I feel it gives you more feel to the rod and more forgiveness when casting. It's been a great rod since we brought it out and haven't had any complaints with it. Very few breaks overall but it's backed by our lifetime guarantee.

Hoping to be able to get everything together to bring out a new faster action IM12 rod series this Fall or early Spring next year. I plan to put together a KickStarter on that pretty soon. Also working on a reel design to be made here in the USA. Might have that ready by around this time next year. Still working out a few things on the design.

Be sure to ask me any questions you have. Best way to get in touch is just to email me at ryan@risenfly.com

Thanks Ryan for taking the time to respond. I am still debating whats available. In my budge to be on the water for $350 I don't expect any of the equipment to be made in the USA.

I can testify to the lines. I've used them ever since Ryan put them out. I still buy Cortlands for my DT, but when I need WF lines, I have no hesitation about buying from Risen.

Back