Any Backpack Suggestions?

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Do not need an overnight pack but I'm looking for a comfortable day-backpack. Looking to pack my rod (tube), gear, meals, drinks, extra clothing, to get me thru a 6 - 10 hr day. Looking for FF specific but also other uses as I might as well get my $$$$ worth.

Who u got and why?

Much appreciated ...

I think this depends on you going into a bit more detail.

Over the years, I've taught myself to pack pretty light for day excursions from May-Sept. This (for me) means choosing clothing that'll leave me a bit cold in the morning to be comfortable by midday (no layers/jackets/etc), that'll also dry quick (which eliminates rain gear).

I'll eat a decent breakfast before I get started for the day, and I'm generally good on food then until I get back that evening, skipping lunch, so at most I'll take along a dry granola bar.

Unless I'm kayaking, I only carry one rod, which eliminates the need for a tube for me.

Water is really the only concern...and even then, I think there's something mildly wrong with me, because I'll start getting sick from dehydration without realizing how thirsty I am, so I'll generally go 6-10 hours with either a single 20oz bottle, or nothing at all. That has gotten me into trouble before though, so I try to keep myself better hydrated, and I'm on the casual lookout for a good filter bottle that'll let me fill it straight from the stream.

This all in mind, my 6-10 hour pack isn't much more than my 2-3 hour pack: my sling with my fishing gear, with a water bottle and a granola bar thrown in.

This year, I'm going to try and integrate a small hydration pack (a Hydrapak Laguna worn under my waders, so as not to interfere with my sling) to keep myself better hydrated. If the whole getup is too cumbersome, I may ditch the sling for long trips, and just throw a few fly boxes in the hydration pack with a tippet spool and nippers clipped to a shoulder strap. In addition to the bladder sleeve, it's got several compartments and pockets for storing small items and should be perfect for day trips.

I like the FishPond stuff. I bought the first one the night before a hike/fishing day in the Sierras in California so I could carry some water and a sweat shirt. I never looked back. I bought one on closeout for my son. A few years ago, I broke the buckle on the waist strap of the first pack, so I bought the "Double Haul" pack. I have replaced the broken buckle but have not gone back to the first pack.

the backpack part is a tad small to fit too many clothes, but this pack is fantastic, especially for the price. I've owned one for I believe at least 2 years now and have 0 complaints.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45399?feat=sr&term=rapid%20river%20vest%20pack

I use an REI Lookout40. It is larger, but has compression straps that not only compress the load, but hold my spare rod tube as well. That said, I now use it rarely because I have a Gander Mountain - William Joseph clone that has a backpack attached.

I think this depends on you going into a bit more detail.

I’m basically in need of a new pack for travel, theme parks and such so I might as well get one that I consider multi-use and incorporate FFishing …. Basically a FF back-pack that I can use in other circumstances.

I will look @ the fishpond stuff as their stuff has a good reputation but I’m looking for something a lil different than the LL bean vest-pack. I’ll check out REI’s site and orvis as well.

Most of these day packs arnd the same size and just different compartment choices?

As cold said ... would be a major plus if there is a hydration system included

My comfort is in my wj pack lots of room also hydro ready. Dont gorget about the two rod holders on it

check this backpack by llbean too. regular back pack but has built in neoprene reel bags and a few other fishing specifics but might be a good day pack for non-fishing... $69 too.

Been humpin my Camelback Mother Load on active Duty for 10 years now. Tons of room and has NEVER failed!

like JG63 said, I use my Camelback, it allows you to fill the bladder up with water and depending on what "backpack" you have there can be more than enough storage. Mine is on the small size with only one compartment but I have seen some as large as a school bag. IMO I think this is the way to go, you get water easily available, and room to pack clothes and food. You can also use the compression straps to carry the rod.

I picked up the Simms 1/2 day pack on closeout this winter.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/headwaters-12-day-pack.html

Its not huge but holds what I need for a full day and has a compartment for a water reservoir. I've used it a few times and find it to be pretty comfortable. They also have a full day pack that is larger.

I was able to find the 1/2 day on sale for under $50, and I'm betting you still can with some searching. It is very well built, as seems to be the case with most Simms products, and I imagine it will last for quite a while.

I just picked up the Simms Headwaters Large Sling Pack to replace my old Orvis sling pack, and I highly recommend it. I have it packed with 8 fly boxes, rain gear, three liter water bladder, and all other fishing tools. There is plenty of room on top of that for a large lunch and cigars. The pack features two loops to attach a rod tube securely. I don't know if you have ever tried a sling pack, but I'm a real believer.

Last year I got a Gander chest pack with backpack, it has the standard 2 compartment chest pack and a fairly large 2 compartment backpack. It also has a mesh side water bottle holder that will hold a rod tube if you tie it on good.

I searched but don't see them on gander's web site, it was around $35, it's now my main pack.

I use a J Tech City Ranger sling. its PALS/MOLLE design so you can customize, should carry just about anything you can think of, and with the 3 L camelbak added and a few pouches is probably the best 'day pack' Ive had for fly fishing.

Had a full arsenal of muskie flies in a boat box and a binder, along with a spare reel and lunch, and the "standard gear" that accompanies me on any trip (tools, mono/fluor/wire spools, TP, camera, Med kit etc)

It'll hold a tube if needed. I travelled with this pack loaded with critical gear as my carryon to Cali.

I suggest a waterproof backpack. Simms, Fishpond, and Orvis each have an option or two. My first time out with a backpack found the bottom of the pack in the water a lot and my stuff at the bottom of the bag got soaked. I used an Eastpack for a while, but got sick and tired of carrying overhead or leaving it on the bank to avoid getting it wet. I've been using a Simms rolltop pack for a couple of years now and I love it. I've used it for travel too, wonderful when stuck in the rain!

Back