Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

Re: Fly Lines

From Delaware Co.
Any bass lines yet ?

Posted on: 2010/7/18 7:32

Re: Allen Fly Fishing

woud love to hear your honest opinions of how everyone likes the Allen Fly lines, in that I need to replace 3wt and 5wt and don't feel like spending $130 for new lines. At under $20 per line, its very tempting but I hate to waste the money on a underperforming line. being 85' doesn't bother me, but want to make sure they don't retain coils and cast well for somehwhat faster action rods (sage txl and Loomis GLX). Thanks in adnace for you input!

Posted on: 2010/7/18 9:21

From Chester County
Quote:

skiltonian wrote:
woud love to hear your honest opinions of how everyone likes the Allen Fly lines, in that I need to replace 3wt and 5wt and don't feel like spending $130 for new lines. At under $20 per line, its very tempting but I hate to waste the money on a underperforming line. being 85' doesn't bother me, but want to make sure they don't retain coils and cast well for somehwhat faster action rods (sage txl and Loomis GLX). Thanks in adnace for you input!

Never seen or used the lines Skil, but as far as coiling, I've read reviews from users that it's very supple, more so than most name brands. Just the messenger though.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 9:34

I used the two colored WF F line on my Sage Fli 5wt and it seems to cast fine. The only complaint that I have is the loop is not coated so it tends to sink when fishing dry flies, I just applied gink to it and that seemed to do the trick

Posted on: 2010/7/18 22:00

Hello, The 9wt wff two colored line is the only wt that is not coated on the welded loop.

Thanks

Justin "Allen"

Posted on: 2010/7/18 22:11

I guess mine is a defect then

Posted on: 2010/7/18 22:22

no sorry, I ment to say all the two colored lines are like that.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 22:26

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

groove790 wrote:
The Jam was great! Thank you for donating the chest pack. It is a major upgrade for me. It has already gone to good use.

I am a little late on this Justin but I also thank you for donating the merchandise for the Jamboree. I too received vest and am loving it.

Good luck with the business. I will be sure to pick up a line and some other odds and ends in the future.

Like the new reel.

Maurice

Posted on: 2010/7/19 0:06

From Carlisle, Pa
I would like to thank Justin publicly for donating fly lines to a fly fishing program that I ran June 29,30. for trouble youth in Cumberland County. I have also been fishing a 3wt and a 5wt line from Justin now for about 9 months and they have held up great.

SKiltorian I have the lines matched up on two St. Croix Legand Ultras so they are not as fast as the two rods that you listed but if you are in the area and want to try them out before you buy just send me a PM

Posted on: 2010/7/19 8:39

From West Chester
Quote:

skiltonian wrote:

Skiltonian:

i posted this earlier today in the Allen Fly Lines thread:

Quote:
i know it's kind of unfair to be critical of a flyline that costs next to nothing but i thought i should share my experience. i bought 5 lines to start out. at the price, it was too good to be true and i needed some line so i jumped right in.

i picked up a new rod (Scott A2 9' 4wt) and a new reel (Orvis Battenkill LAII) and desperately wanted to try them out. i lined it up with the Allen 4wt line in orange. i find it almost uncastable. as soon as it gets wet, it gets tacky and just won't go thru my hands or the guides smoothly. i've never had this experience with other lines, even a line i used for a year without a cleaning!

i've yet to try another of the lines for more than a couple casts so i'll report back once i've been on the water with one. i did take out the 6wt. Intermediate but only fished it for a few casts. i wasn't really in the mood to fish subsurface.

i'm planning to take the 4wt line off my reel tonight and replace it with another line. if anyone wants to offer a second opinion, i'd be glad to pass it along. i wouldn't use it again or recommend it though, even at such a low price. not sure what i'm going to do with all the rest of it.

Justin did respond saying he'd give me my money back for the line in question (which wasn't necessary.). That's a nice touch. But even spectacular customer service doesn't cast well.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 20:15

I'll be getting one line to try out for a great price and report back with a comparison to orvis superfine wonderline, sage TCR, and SA GPX (thats all I have in 5wt to compare). I'll be sure to clean the new line up first to avoid issues mystillwater may have experienced, as I had the same expereince with a rio line - cleaned it up and wound up liking the line. I'll try the line on a 5wt GLX, 5wt RPL, and 4wt IMX just to see which rod it works best on.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 21:34

From West Chester
Quote:

skiltonian wrote:
I'll be getting one line to try out for a great price and report back with a comparison to orvis superfine wonderline, sage TCR, and SA GPX (thats all I have in 5wt to compare). I'll be sure to clean the new line up first to avoid issues mystillwater may have experienced, as I had the same expereince with a rio line - cleaned it up and wound up liking the line. I'll try the line on a 5wt GLX, 5wt RPL, and 4wt IMX just to see which rod it works best on.

just soap and water? i might give that a try.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 11:49

From Chester County
Here's a good thread about cleaning fly lines:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... id=166518#forumpost166518

Posted on: 2010/7/20 11:58

From West Chester
thanks Afish but i'd like to know specifically what Skil did in this instance to help alleviate the situation we're discussing here. I've cleaned my fly lines where they're dirty to great success. i've never had an issue with a brand new, presumably clean line before.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 13:51

back then I used to use cortland line cleaning pads:
http://www.fish307.com/cortlandflylinecleanerpad.aspx
now I use orvis line cleaner, same stuff as zip juice.

I can't explain why a new line acts like a dirty line, but the problems you are having sounds like a dirty line. try cleaning the line and give it another shot.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 18:51

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com