Aleka Fly fishing

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just came across this company from a link on Sierra Trading Post.

Anyone ever heard of them or had any experience with them.

Half off right now.

http://www.alekasports.com/

I was surfing around the site since you mentioned it, and I haven't seen the link...but, I am wondering if this is just a gimmick - you know, retail vs sale price and all that.

Yeah it may just be a start up company that's trying to get it's name out by offering low price points for a while. I wouldn't call it a gimmick, just initial marketing.

I really like the look of some of the gear they have. Pretty sweet looking reel too for being half off.

Yeah, gimmick was probably the wrong word. For what they are offering it doesn't seem that any other reputable companies are offering similiar rods at anywhere near those prices. But, for $89...I might just take the gamble.

However, they have no external reviews on the net, and it does bother me a bit that in the reviews they do have on their site from magazines, they manage to misquote them. As in, spell things incorrectly - I mean it happens, but doesn't help when I'm already skeptical.

hence why I asked on here... :-D

Its the exact same imported junk that every other internet based direct sale FF company sells... just with a different name stamped on it

don't be fooled by discounts
an inflated mrsp and then a big discount
those reels probably cost $4

Yeah, well - I called them. If you read their disclaimer or whatever, it says that they are in West Chester, PA. When I called the 800 number, John picked up the phone, and said that yes while their store/office is in the shopping center in West Chester(they dont show up on a google search), they ship from England. Sooo....if the office is in West Chester....and they ship from England, and I can't come to your office to look at the rods....and since they're coming from England, it's $30 shipping. Hmm...I'll let someone else try this one out.

If it wasn't for the location and the shipping cost I may have jumped on one of the rods and reels. I'm with Jimbo... might have to let someone else test the water first.

Ramcatt wrote:
Its the exact same imported junk that every other internet based direct sale FF company sells... just with a different name stamped on it

yep!

just one of many
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/fly-reel.html

bikerfish wrote:
Ramcatt wrote:

yep!

just one of many
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/fly-reel.html

HEY! That third one down is the one I won on Ebay for $.01!!!

found their "A4" reel

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/502421948/Fly_fishing_reel_MC_best_seller.html

I like the one you got better, it says it's made of "metal"!!

I fished it 1 and only 1 time, at the JAM 2 years ago.

The line got jammed in between the spool and frame of the reel, so I removed the spool.... bad idea.

The spool was not one piece, and one side was just a plate and it came off. The WHOLE line just accordioned out and became a nasty birds nest. I spend the rest of the car ride back from who knows where (Thanks Alby) untangling it and almost vomited several times from car sickness.

yeah it was worth every penny...

Does that make the fly magazines that are giving them good reviews total shills?

I'm increasingly confused. Their rods seem to be somewhat well received and they seemingly have had their products out in the wild quite a bit, judging from the photos/etc.

So are all the products just picked from pre-fab lineups and branded? Or are some of them actually designed and fabricated to their specifications, while others just come out of a pre-fab catalog?

They've done a nice job with production quality and branding, so obviously there's some money behind the venture.

I don't get it.

Yeah there is $$$

From selling $4 products for 100

It's not hard to put up a website and some photos and sound legit

Greenlander- you out of anyone should understand this... You even had the luxury of practically stealing a name and reputation

Ramcatt wrote:
Yeah there is $$$

From selling $4 products for 100

It's not hard to put up a website and some photos and sound legit

Greenlander- you out of anyone should understand this... You even had the luxury of practically stealing a name and reputation

I'm not blown away by their ability to put a pretty face on something that might not have underlying quality. What I'm confused about is the fact that there seem to be reputable publications backing the gear (mind you, I haven't read their reviews in depth). You'd think if something was just smoke and mirrors on top of pre-fab junk, that they might fool the consumer but not major publications.

Clearly, since their A4 reel is a non-unique pre-fab product, they are however at least partially full of it.

Which mags?

They will place and ad in a mag or on a site for any product
Just pay up

The "gear guides" are nothing more than press releases and stock photos... Featured placements come with ad $$$

"companies don't care about your opinion" - the writer of one of the industries largest gear guides

Trout Fisherman. A UK mag. Self proclaimed to be the UK's top selling mag for trout fisherman. It was a review. Albeit a considerably brief review. Gave some special designation to one of their rods and had some nice things to say.

Nothing jaw dropping, but not "it's a pre-fab piece of crap" either.

Who knows. Probably way too much thought devoted to this already.

magazines paid for by advertisers. editors sent free gear for "review". What would you say if you wanted to keep your job?
I believe there is good gear coming from the reputable and established companies, as well as lots of good stuff from various "cottage" industries.
BUT, lots of companies buying bulk from china, badging them and selling as their own. When in doubt, do the research.
BTW, not all the products on that site are from china, I did find some reels made in pakistan!
also some US made stuff if you search for it.

Back