Albright Rods?

L_soult

L_soult

I did a PAFF search on this and didn't find any solid opinions on if they were a quality rod that jumped out at me.

I know that the MSRP thing is unrealistic, and I'm sure they cant compare to the high end rods they're meant to imitate. But they appear to be better than other rods at the same price.

Can anyone here shed some light?

Thanks

I bought the EXR 9ft 5wt, GPX Fly Reel and albright fly line last year. I couldn't find any reviews so I just took a chance. I really like them as a set. The rod has a fast action but have does a fairly sensitive tip. I used it mostly for tight line nymphing and was very impressed with how nice it fished. I also took it out fishing with poppers for bass a few times and had no problem throwing the big, heavy poppers at fifty feet. It not only got them out there but it was very accurate. I am sure if a better caster had this rod in their hands 70 ft casts would be no problem. I had a 'summer love' with this rod and it actually replaced my helios as my go to rod for a few months. (The rod itself is pretty close to the helios in weight, it is under 3 ounces)

I now keep this set up in my car with a small box of flies/poppers as a just in case rod.

Now the reason why I wouldn't buy a rod from albright again. They have NO WARRANTY. I spent $179 on that rod and really like it but if it breaks I am S.0.L. I think you would be better going with a rod company that has a decent warranty.

I don't have any experience with their other rods, but if you do take a chance with EXR I bet you will find you really like the rod.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Allan

I have a 6/7 GP that I use for smallmouth. It's good for that purpose. I won't buy another Albright rod. The hardware and quality of the rods are nice, but I don't like the feel of the blank or the taper, it is very think bear the handle. I like Redington rods much better at the same price point and Redington has the warranty. The new Orvis clearwater rods are decent too.

I agree with you both on the warranty. Sierra Trading Post gets some pretty sweet deals on Redington if you catch it at the right time. I got minnow outfit for in the low 40's for my boys. One guy on here told me he got the RS4 for $50 with an added "just because" discount promotion. The pricing on rods all jumped up a couple weeks ago, and I'm sure they'll stay up until fall.

I have two albright rods. a 7'6" 4wt and a 5 piece 9' 5 wt. Both are a good value. They both seems to have decent fit and finish..more than satisfied

Back