Albright's

B

blue4good

I've been fishing around the Gear Talk forum and have found no thread specifically about Albright rods and reels. If I missed it, please forgive me and point me in the correct direction.

Otherwise, what is your honest opinion? I just ordered the A-5 paired w/ the GPX for light duty and a GP paired with a Topwater rod for Steelhead and other heavy fish. I'm guessing the Topwater rod will fall short but I'm a novice w/ virtually no experience in FFing, so I supposed the latter rig will suffice, all things considered (including the economy).

I ask this question because I'll have 10 days to return, once they are received - had to make a quick decision because the stock was going fast, due to a huge sale.

All criticism, advice and other options are welcome.

Thanks,

blue4good

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5589&forum=3

Regarding the quality of the Albright's gear. I have recieved the Bugati 7/8 weight reel and the Bridgestone waders and I do not have one complaint for the price. As a beginner, and some might disagree with me, steelhead fishing in Erie is not a big casting game. For the most part, you will be high stick nymphing or throwing egg patterns under an indicator in the deeper holes. This may require a 30 foot cast at most. I think that a nine foot or longer rod offers the major advantage of line control and it allows you to present drag free drifts in circumstances where a shorter rod would limit your ability. As to the quality of rod, I started with a nine foot shakespeare fiberglass telephone pole that I would never use on a wild trout stream, but that rod served all the purposes needed for erie steelhead. I am pretty sure that the albright topwater series is higher quality than that. With all that said, I think you made a good choice and I hope you have some good luck once you make it out on the tribs.

The big problem with Albright rods and reels is the owner of the company is the same from redington, and they went under of sorts. first orvis tried to bail them out then sold to sage. he likes to keep to much profits and not put back into company. Not sure if I would trust Him...all is made over seas as well..

Sandfly wrote: "The big problem with Albright rods and reels is the owner of the company is the same from redington, and they went under of sorts. first orvis tried to bail them out then sold to sage. he likes to keep to much profits and not put back into company. Not sure if I would trust Him...all is made over seas as well.."

Sandfly,

LOL...The guy your speaking about, Jim Murphy, has sold his interest in Albright and Redington and is now head of Greys and Hardy, which just opened up thier U.S. headquarters in Lancaster. Quote from the article link below:

“Hardy & Greys is investing more than $1 million to open the 14,000-square-foot facility. It will start with eight to 12 employees, with "significant potential for growth" as the business expands, according to Jim Murphy, the founder of Albright Tackle Co. and Redington Tackle Co. and president of Hardy & Greys' new wholly owned subsidiary, Hardy North America, which will be based in the Corporate Boulevard space.”

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/231081

The rumor is that Albright Tackle is going out of business, hence their firesale online. BTW, Redington is now owned by Sage and produces a good line of lower priced fly rods made overseas. All rods with the Sage name are made in the USA. It's tough to find low priced fly rods made in the U.S. due to the higher labor costs in the country........same story with just about anything else we buy.

Back