Advice on sunglasses

N

NETFM

I am looking to get new lenses for my oakleys. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I've read too many confusing reviews!

From what I have been reading its between 4 different types: Shallow Blue, VR28 Black Iridium, Deep Blue Iridium and Bronze.

I have black polarized now but in some conditions on the streams they are tough to use.

Please help!

Mat

Not sure about Oakleys.......but if they have yellow lenses, get 'em.

I actually have a few pairs of sunglasses that I interchange for fishing and found myself liking both my costa del mars in silver mirror (580 copper lens) and my smiths in polar chromic copper mirror to adjust with variant light. Smith has a new lens out that is called chroma pop that is supposed to be awesome but personal preference and conform are key. Yellow lenses are good too on overcast or winter days for contrast.

wow, I got to thinking about replacing the lenses on my oakleys, jeez, the lenses cost 90 bucks, but the glasses only cost me 80!!!! WTF?
guess they really don't want to sell just lenses.

biker..your right on that..they are expensive but they are reliable and wont break if you drop. Oakley is the only sunglasses I will buy for anything

bikerfish wrote:

wow, I got to thinking about replacing the lenses on my oakleys, jeez, the lenses cost 90 bucks, but the glasses only cost me 80!!!! WTF?
guess they really don't want to sell just lenses.

I think the lens is the more expensive part of the glasses. I agree it's weird, the 90/80, but the lens + labor to fix is probably > mass production of glasses in Asia ... Just my $.02

@ NETFM ... I have read, not sure if its truth, that for Pa fishing Amber and Cooper are the most functional.

Oakley is owned by the Luxotica group. It's an Italian company. They also own Ray-Ban, Prada, Tiffany, Revo, and license a bunch of others.

After Luxotica aquired Oakley the frames continued to be manufactured in California for a while. I'm not sure about the lenses. But now the frames are made either in Italy or China, depending on the model. I'm honestly not sure on the lenses and design, and whether that's still done at Oakley headquarters or if it too has been swallowed by the behemoth.

Amber, copper, or yellow will work well in PA. Check out www.oakleysi.com for Oakley's and replacement lenses. I just picked up polarized replacement lenses for nearly 50% off. Only caveat is you need some type of affiliation with military, EMS, Firefighter, etc... But if you don't, you probably know somebody that is.

My Oakleys have black iridium HD polarized lenses in them now. They have a copper color when you look through them. They're by far the best lenses I've found, especially for fishing.

Check eBay for lenses.

Alby mentioned these guys last year: Guideline - http://www.glpolarized.com/GEW/index.html Looks like they offer reg and scrip glasses with a bonus bifocal option at pretty good prices. I am going to get a pair after my next eye appt in the spring.

They also have a line Fisherman - http://www.glpolarized.com/FEW/index.html that offer just none scrip with some very affordable polarized lens.

Polarization is a must and gonna go with Fishidiot and Millerstime this one and get something in the yellow-copper space.

You want yellow polarizing lenses. Everything brightens up and is more clear and you can leave them on till the sun goes down.
If you can't get yellow get bronze.

I have a pair of Oakley Two Face's for driving, and they are polarized Black Iridium lenses....TERRIBLE for fishing. It's either the Iridium finish, the color, or both. I'm guessing it's the color, because I have never been a fan of anything other than Amber/Bronze/Brown. I would go for either the Bronze or VR28 Black Iridium. Let us know what you pick too...because I need some new lenses! Ha

pcray1231 wrote:
Oakley is owned by the Luxotica group. It's an Italian company. They also own Ray-Ban, Prada, Tiffany, Revo, and license a bunch of others.

After Luxotica aquired Oakley the frames continued to be manufactured in California for a while. I'm not sure about the lenses. But now the frames are made either in Italy or China, depending on the model. I'm honestly not sure on the lenses and design, and whether that's still done at Oakley headquarters or if it too has been swallowed by the behemoth.

Did you really post this.... You do always make me smile. Thanks for making my day! As I read this, I could hear Rainman saying it ;-)

dkile wrote:
Alby mentioned these guys last year: Guideline - http://www.glpolarized.com/GEW/index.html Looks like they offer reg and scrip glasses with a bonus bifocal option at pretty good prices. I am going to get a pair after my next eye appt in the spring.

They also have a line Fisherman - http://www.glpolarized.com/FEW/index.html that offer just none scrip with some very affordable polarized lens.

Polarization is a must and gonna go with Fishidiot and Millerstime this one and get something in the yellow-copper space.

I've been using Rx polarized sunglasses for fishing for years. You will like them. They are just starting to hammer out the Transitions polarized Rx lenses. That will be really nice once they are affordable. I hate having to have to pairs of glasses because the sunglasses are too dark at dusk and dawn. Now if they can just make a progressive trifocal Transitions polarized lens for less than the price of a new F-250....I'll be in business!

Back